Sign in to follow this  
Karneck

2019 VASSAL Autumn Tournament Report

25 minutes ago, 187-Leon said:

I thought the Maximum mov you Can get is 400

I thought it was too

Margin of Victory At the end of each game, the winning player subtracts the loser’s score from his or her score. This is the winner’s Margin of Victory (“MoV”) for the round. If this would result in a negative number, the winner’s Margin of Victory is 0. If this would result in a number larger than 400, the winner’s Margin of Victory is 400. The losing player receives a Margin of Victory of 0.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ff/ee/ffeeae9e-8671-4e69-a47b-e642192759cc/armada_tournament_regulations_v20_text_version.pdf

2 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

I thought it was too

Margin of Victory At the end of each game, the winning player subtracts the loser’s score from his or her score. This is the winner’s Margin of Victory (“MoV”) for the round. If this would result in a negative number, the winner’s Margin of Victory is 0. If this would result in a number larger than 400, the winner’s Margin of Victory is 400. The losing player receives a Margin of Victory of 0.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ff/ee/ffeeae9e-8671-4e69-a47b-e642192759cc/armada_tournament_regulations_v20_text_version.pdf

Goes to show you think you know everything about the rules and yet they still surprise you. You are correct, the maximum MOV you can gain a round IS only 400.

Edited by Karneck

Round 3

deDios vs machinebede1

deDios was 1st player
Objective played - Minefields

deDios scored 264
machinebede1 scored 181

deDios total MOV 83

Victory deDios 7-4

Went the full six rounds. Had a good game but it was long. We both feel a little punch drunk I think. 

round 3

skycake v keskai

keskai has init, picks second player

skycake first player

played planetary ion cannon

skycake wins 400-0 10-1

his raddus fleet had me thinking I was boned, but got out of it like a greased up pig and ackbar setup death swirl for some fish in the barrel shootin fun...

GG

1 minute ago, SkyCake said:

round 3

skycake v keskai

keskai has init, picks second player

skycake first player

played planetary ion cannon

skycake wins 400-0 10-1

his raddus fleet had me thinking I was boned, but got out of it like a greased up pig and ackbar setup death swirl for some fish in the barrel shootin fun...

GG

Yea, GG! My head still couldn't get wrapped around what happened, I was sure it was GG after the drop turn two but I couldn't have been more wrong.  I think me picking second due to expectation of fish farm style objectives was a huge mistake on my part.

@Roquax vs. The Jabbawookie

Jabba was first player

Objective played - Superior Positions

Jabba scored 142

Roquax scored 133

Jabba wins, MOV 9, 6-5

Super close game.   This was an unnerving matchup, and I had drilled all kinds of scenarios if Roquax got aggressive but he played it conservatively.  We circled each other, Roquax popped the Quasar with Mon Karren, I won the squad battle and a flotilla drifted just barely into medium range for a round 6 shot.  Very well played by Roquax, and a real nail-biter.

That Liberty is pure murder and definitely something worth experimenting with.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Round 3: LTD vs @Zamalekite

Zam chose to go first, and picked Sensor Net (3 battles in row! Woot!)

Score
LTD: 364 (259 in units + 105 in tokens)
Zamalekite: 344 (254 in units + 90 in tokens)

MoV: 20

LTD 6 / Zamalekite 5

Logile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G8O2tVCvdZpFDbi114GwKVOGrRSjrDu7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks to Zamalekite for staying up WAY too late in order to prevent me from getting up WAY too early.

Vote Lib Dem!

Edited by LTD

@Beanicus vs RealVees
Beanicus was 1st player
What objective was played: Superior Positions

RealVeers - Winners Score: 430 (table + 2 tokens) 

Beanicus - Losers Score: 85 (Lando, Hera, Gold, Wedge)

MoV of 345, 10-1 to RealVeers

Link to Log file

Tough game for Beanicus, I forced him into my bubble and he made two mistakes (overextending squadrons and a bad Demo move) that spiraled downhill. He sacrificed his lunch break so I don't have to play another 5am game. Huge thanks for that and good luck in the last round of the tournament!

@Beginner2Winner vs Rikash is complete with a victory for the Loyal Sons of the Empire (me). 

Rikash scored 475 vs B2W's 210 for an MOV of 265, 9-2 for me.

B2W chose to go first and we played my Fighter Ambush.

I deployed facing slightly to the left side of the board, centrally, where B2W deployed to the right of the board in a staggered column. Our squads were between the ships with mine being near the central station thanks to the objective. I hard turned in and B2W moved 2 Yt-2400 up to hit some squads but who paid for their temerity (having only done 2 to Rhymer) with their lives (Rogues + squad activation next turn). With me facing down his fleet top of 2, B2W dropped in the MC75 at long range in my front arc (as his entire fleet was at the time). His CR90 moved away (Bravely he ran away away,  brave brave sir Raddus) and this gave the opportunity to pop Bright Hope (who was in medium range). I then moved to try to pin his MC75. His squads did a bit of bombing and the MC75 was (somehow) able to get out of the pin. This left me with a double arc on the MC75 and medium range on the CR90. B2W moved the CR90 away and I bombed the MC75 and fired my 2 arcs (QBT boosted) leaving it on 1 hull and 5 shields (lots of accuracies on redirects).  This allowed the rogue rebels to bomb the SSD with impunity for the next 2 turns. 

Next turn the MC75 pushes more damage into the SSD and escapes onto a debris field. With no adjacent shields (after the debris) a single Firespray shot to the front pops it and the others went to work on the CR90. Over the next few turns I would tie up and kill most of his squads and 3 rogue Firesprays would drop the CR90. I didn't have a window to repair above half (I would have taken more damage from squads then I could repair) so that left us with 1/2 the SSD down and a JM5k dead. I tabled and was slightly ahead on Fighter Ambush tokens (primarily due to some dire rolls by B2W's squads).

Thanks very much for a great game, B2W! 

@Angry Ewok vs TigerKommandant

Score was 84 (Angry Ewok) - 185 (TigerKommandant).

MOV of 101, 7-4 to me.

Angry Ewok had initiative choice with his bid and chose to go 2nd. We played his Most Wanted.

Dice were hot on both sides as Angry Ewok blew up my raider and a Gozanti with an Ackbar AF. My ISD chased down the AF killing a CR90 and the MW flotilla but not being able to finish off the AF with 4 hull 0 shields left. Walord cleaned up a few squads and killed another CR90 that was hunting my last Gozanti with vader.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:00 AM, Rikash said:

@Beginner2Winner vs Rikash is complete with a victory for the Loyal Sons of the Empire (me). 

Rikash scored 475 vs B2W's 210 for an MOV of 265, 9-2 for me.

B2W chose to go first and we played my Fighter Ambush.

What a game... I had a certain idea of a hopefully good strategy - which was destroyed after his first move. Wow, I had no idea of the movement range of a SSD at speed 2 with an overdose of Jerry. In the following rounds I have not really recovered from this first shock leading to some further bad decisions and a somewhat unconcentrated game play.

Rikash was a great and kind opponent, especially as I had some crying kids at my end. Thanks for the good game and your patience!

2 hours ago, Beginner2Winner said:

What a game... I had a certain idea of a hopefully good strategy - which was destroyed after his first move. Wow, I had no idea of the movement range of a SSD at speed 2 with an overdose of Jerry. In the following rounds I have not really recovered from this first shock leading to some further bad decisions and a somewhat unconcentrated game play.

Rikash was a great and kind opponent, especially as I had some crying kids at my end. Thanks for the good game and your patience!

Yeah those JJ turns on an SSD are crazy. The front moves by more than a ship going at speed 3. 

And the front turns arounds better than a CR90 with ET 🤣 so amazing! Recommendation to new players: Do not think that a SSD cannot dance and if you get surprised and under pressure - do not get hectic 😉

Edited by Beginner2Winner
typo

On 10/29/2019 at 2:00 AM, LTD said:

Round 3: LTD vs @Zamalekite

Zam chose to go first, and picked Sensor Net (3 battles in row! Woot!)

Score
LTD: 364 (259 in units + 105 in tokens)
Zamalekite: 344 (254 in units + 90 in tokens)

MoV: 20

LTD 6 / Zamalekite 5

Logile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G8O2tVCvdZpFDbi114GwKVOGrRSjrDu7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks to Zamalekite for staying up WAY too late in order to prevent me from getting up WAY too early.

Vote Lib Dem!

This was a very close and tense game – thanks for a great match @LTD! Glad we were able to find a mutually convenient time being on other sides of the world to each other.

I had the bid and chose first. As LTD had one more activation than me I really didn’t want him being able to last-first me. With such fast and manoeuvrable ships he’d easily be able to fly in, line up double-arcs and then scoot off again. So I picked First knowing I’d at least be able to pick Sensor Net which I could mitigate a bit with my own VCXs, and that's what I ended up picking .

I knew I would need to engage quickly to avoid him harvesting points from Sensor Net as it would be easy for him to get 2 tokens or more each turn but hard for me to do the same. So we setup tokens across from each other and then set up fleets opposite each other too behind the tokens. Turn 1 we used VCXs to grab tokens and then I sent my squads in heavy on his squads to try and tie up his VCX and line up a good splash for Ten Numb in turn 2. Turn 2 started and after 2 activations I was able to decimate his squads. Unfortunately for me though LTD was able to just narrowly reach my Yavaris with enough CR90s to ram it to death.

Turn 3 I was able to kill a CR90 and then started to speed away with Vanguard while my CR90B flagship started to turn from the far flank. LTD rammed my two transports with Rams and then turned his 3 CR90s in to pursue my Vanguard with his flagship leading the way. After finishing off his fighters I was able to switch my bombers to hit his flagship but my bombers flopped and he survived on 1 hull. This was to prove critical!

I was able to kill his flagship at the start of turn 5 but Rieekan kept himself alive to then kill my shield-less Vanguard with just enough hits from shooting and then a double ram. Doh! I killed off his VCXs and then in turn 6 I was able to kill the naked GR75. My flagship managed to escape and we both grabbed a couple more tokens. Overall I only had one less token than he did so picking first only cost me 15 points.

This was a great game against the MSU Wizard of Oz and a back-and-forth tussle all the way through from rounds 1 to 6. Had my bombers not flopped in turn 4 I’d have come away with a 7-4 win instead of a 6:5 loss win I should have been more careful with Yavaris on turns 1 and 2 and moved a GR75 up early to block the rams and kept him alive another turn which might have let me kill another CR90.

Vanguard’s ability to get a redirect makes it so much more survivable and I ended up using all of its shields. Having Flight Controllers is also particularly useful when I have two squads with abilities that trigger off blue dice. In previous games I swapped the evade for the redirect but this time I swapped a brace and it was the right choice.

Thanks again LTD for a cracking game!

Round 3: @Cael vs. @medaloffairness

I went first and took his superior positions

Score

Cael: 122
Medaloffairness: 400 (tabled his fleet in round 6)

MoV: 278

Med 9 / Cael 2

It was a close game with some very nice moves on both sides. Ezra moved an Asteroid right in front of Caels MC80 and the GR 75 blocked him from getting off the gravel.
I had to sacrifice all my squadrons to keep his swarm of Y-wings at bay. The only squadron survived on my side was Luke; escaping the Mayhem to tell the story of this very interesting match up.

It was a pleasure to play with Cael. Highly recommended. Thank you again.

@Green Squadron 3 vs Karneck
Karneck was given 1st player
Objective played - Hyperspace Migration

Karneck scored 400
Green scored 58

Karneck total MOV 342, 10-1

Great game and hats off to Green Squadron, hes flying a Konstantine list and is placing highly in this tournament which says a lot.
In our game he made a gamble on trying to out maneuver my SSD, instead this cost him his interdictors one by one when the better option might of been to just overwhelm my SSD and spam repair command.
We each both scoring 2 VP tokens from the objective which made it a wash, and I lost one Goz to try and block (it did not), and the other to poor flying and ramming itself into my SSD on the last turn to explode.

I hope Green makes the top 8 cut and we face each other again!