Jarval

Escalated Tensions - Epic Battles Multiplayer Expansion article

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

All factions can have wings.

All wings are Small ships only.

All wings pull damage from the wing Leader, Biggs-style.

Most wings are all one ship type.

There are only two unique wing upgrades:

• Empire upgrade to fly a TIE Advanced (x1 or v1) with TIE/lns

• FO Upgrade to fly a SF or VN with FOs or SFs. Limited to 3 wingmen.

Whoa, are you trying to shut down a speculative thread with actual knowledge???

Also, I didn't know the Biggs thing.  That's a super cool feature.

5 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Whoa, are you trying to shut down a speculative thread with actual knowledge???

Also, I didn't know the Biggs thing.  That's a super cool feature.

The wing cards showed up in one of the streams, as I recall. Text for them, spoiler tagged, in case anyone cares:

First, the generic one that any faction can use:

Veteran Wing Leader:
You are a "wing leader". Your wingmates must be 
2, 3, 4, or 5 other ships of your ship type. While you defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 <hit> or <crit> damage to cancel a matching result.
Requires: Small Ship.

Imperial one to allow Vader's squadron from A New Hope:

*Agent of the Empire:
You are a "wing leader". Your wingmates must be 2, 3, 4, or 5  TIE/ln fighters. While you defense, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 <hit> or <crit> damage to cancel a matching result.
Requires: TIE Advanced x1 or TIE Advanced v1.

First Order one, to allow Kylo with wingmates, as seen in TLJ:

*First Order Elite:
You are a "wing leader". Your wingmates must be 2 or 3 TIE/fo fighters or TIE/sf fighters. While you defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 <hit> or <crit> damage to cancel a matching result.
Requires: First Order, TIE/sf Fighter or TIE/vn Silencer

Basically, they're all the same, except that the faction-specific ones allow for the wing leader to fly a different ship than the wingmates.

17 hours ago, Freeptop said:

The wing cards showed up in one of the streams, as I recall. Text for them, spoiler tagged, in case anyone cares:

Hide contents

First, the generic one that any faction can use:

Veteran Wing Leader:
You are a "wing leader". Your wingmates must be 
2, 3, 4, or 5 other ships of your ship type. While you defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 <hit> or <crit> damage to cancel a matching result.
Requires: Small Ship.

Imperial one to allow Vader's squadron from A New Hope:

*Agent of the Empire:
You are a "wing leader". Your wingmates must be 2, 3, 4, or 5  TIE/ln fighters. While you defense, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 <hit> or <crit> damage to cancel a matching result.
Requires: TIE Advanced x1 or TIE Advanced v1.

First Order one, to allow Kylo with wingmates, as seen in TLJ:

*First Order Elite:
You are a "wing leader". Your wingmates must be 2 or 3 TIE/fo fighters or TIE/sf fighters. While you defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 <hit> or <crit> damage to cancel a matching result.
Requires: First Order, TIE/sf Fighter or TIE/vn Silencer

Basically, they're all the same, except that the faction-specific ones allow for the wing leader to fly a different ship than the wingmates.

So they’re all the same except for some have ship limits. I’m guessing then the difference is point cost?

3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

So they’re all the same except for some have ship limits. I’m guessing then the difference is point cost?

Technically, they all have ship limits. The generic one requires all the ships to be the same, while the faction-specific ones are more restrictive, but allow the wing leader to be a different ship than its wingmates.

Very interesting. The calculate jump mechanic is neat.

Very lucky shuttle remotes might be able to jump end of turn 2 (25% chance for 1, ~8% of all 3 managing it, if I calculated right), so the attackers better be fast. (Unless I roll for them, then they are trying to calculate with Win95 running on a 486).

Having defenders around increases shuttle lifelyhood, but with just 1 green die and 8 hull they are still going to melt fast.

---

Luminous. Moar energy, always good, as the Huges are still very energy thirsty. Moar reserve fun, between this, Scum Boba crew, It's the resistance, Resistance Han pilot, Moralo pilot etc. Epic battles are really capturing some of the SW flair of jumping in/out of battles

---

Ozzel, very swingy. At the right occasion changing a Huge ship's maneuver could be game deciding.

---

Adaptive shields sounds really weak. Range requirement 0-1, risky not being run over by your own Huge, cost of 2 energy is outside of sceanrio deciding survival of a single ship not worth saving 1 hit on an ally, 1 shield might maybe be worth it, if your Huge isn' t shot at too hard.

---

Needa could be really neat, depends on cost.

---

On 10/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, PhantomFO said:

Rexlar Brath: DREADNAUGHT HUNTER

On 10/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, the Huge Ship Buster card is going to be pretty awesome.

Thane is the other designated Huge Ship Buster (it's even his card art)!

Serissu and Genesis with Autoblasters and Marksmanship(!) are going to be evil.

Do we know anything, how the Diamond Commanders are assigned? How many commanders can you have (2 pips on Hunter speaks for more than one per side)? Costs?...

(Mmm, 2 wings of Autoblaster Scyks, one lead by Serissu (she will be really hard to kill), one by Genesis, here they cometh, but doubtful being able to have both Wing Leader and Hunter on the same pilot).

Graz with Marksmanship is not as automatic, but potentially very brutal as well.

Some other pilots with Markmansship and Hunter which could be interesting as well: Scourge, Gideon, Rhymer, N'Dru. (I do not play PT factions outside of Arcs, do not play ST factions, so unsure if there is some cool pilot around for this).

Ini 4 requirements hurts some pilots which could have been awesome with this, e.g. Ahaav and Quinn Jast. And the small ship requirement..no Kimogilas with Dreadnought Hunter Markmansship, Dalan could finally have been worth it with Huges regenerating shields, making him proccing his ability more in the realm of "probable" :( 

----

On 10/11/2019 at 7:04 PM, Hiemfire said:

Dang it, small ship only... :( There goes Kimogila strike wings....

Yeah I had hoped for that as well, having wings of Mediums as well, not just small, would have made faster gameplay. Especially as Mediums require more time to plot maneuvers. And neat formations of 3 Arc170s or M12L look just glorious.

Even if it would just have been 2 in a wing, or making Medium not be able to use scrubs to take hits for the leader (which otherwise could have been a problem with the beefy mediuns). Maybe they were a bit weary of wings of U-wings and Scurrgs.

Edited by Managarmr
Spelling. I am just unable to type correct on mobile devices

4 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

With the shuttles now being represented with tokens, I wonder how big they are... small base? I imagine them being about the size of a standard bomb token, so I don't want to make the shuttles too big! 

They're probably the same size and shape as the 1.0 shuttle tokens, much like the Asteroids and Debris Fields are.

On 10/12/2019 at 6:01 AM, FatherTurin said:

Interesting thought to downgrade a Jedi’s movement shenanigans in favor of like 15 ablative wounds.

The wing leader can still reposition willy-nilly - the rest of the wing just forms up on their final position.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, PhantomFO said:

Rexlar Brath: DREADNAUGHT HUNTER

I don't think this works, the card reads you have to DEAL  a face up damage card not EXPOSE one. Now Dreadnaught Hunter Maarek is going to be a nightmare. X1 so he can use the Agent wing and be protected from damage by cheap Ties. Possibly 2 face up damage cards YOU CAN CHOOSE from 2 sets of 3 with Adv. Targeting Computer and Marksmanship. When I field this I hope my opponent wasn't planning on his huge doing much.

4 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Serissu and Genesis with Autoblasters and Marksmanship(!) are going to be evil.

Graz with Marksmanship is not as automatic, but potentially very brutal as well.

...And the small ship requirement..no Kimogilas with Dreadnought Hunter Markmansship, Dalan could finally have been worth it with Huges regenerating shields, making him proccing his ability more in the realm of "probable" :( 

I think the Scyks will do better with Heavy Laser Cannons than Autoblasters.  The R2-3 and Bullseye won't be that hard with the Huge ships.   Throw 4 dice and change all crits to hits, but then change one again to crit with Marksmanship.  I see a Wing of Scyks with HLC being pretty nasty for cheap points.  

Graz will have to get behind the enemy, which might be difficiult, depending on the setup.  I can see it being easier on some ships.  CR90 likes to broadside.

Kimogilas will be brutal in games with Huge ships.  I think they will finally find their place....if people actually own enough.  One might get shot down, but three or so of these guys in an Epic game will be pretty cool.

Edited by heychadwick

Do ships in a Wing get their squad leaders ability?

I'm sure i saw that somewhere.

A Wedge Wing all ships get his ability on attacks? Or a Talonbane Wing all ships get the bonus at range one and three?

1 hour ago, Scum4Life said:

A Wedge Wing all ships get his ability on attacks? Or a Talonbane Wing all ships get the bonus at range one and three?

I wouldn’t assume this. I have not seen anything like this, and I tuned into the epic mission scenario with wings and the huge ships.

This would be bonkers.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

I think the Scyks will do better with Heavy Laser Cannons than Autoblasters.  The R2-3 and Bullseye won't be that hard with the Huge ships.   Throw 4 dice and change all crits to hits, but then change one again to crit with Marksmanship.  I see a Wing of Scyks with HLC being pretty nasty for cheap points.  

Won't work HLC converts all crits to hit AFTER marksmanship triggers.

9 hours ago, Scum4Life said:

They said something odd about Wing Leader abilities, but we don't know what it really means.  It could just mean that leader abilities, like Howlrunner, affect the whole wing, even if not within R1.   

On 10/14/2019 at 11:09 PM, heychadwick said:

They said something odd about Wing Leader abilities, but we don't know what it really means.  It could just mean that leader abilities, like Howlrunner, affect the whole wing, even if not within R1.   

I think they only meant that the squad follows the leader through boost/roll actions even if they don't have it.

I.e.  leader moves + action, and the squad just materialises around him in final position.

Also, for scum.... star viper wings lead by Guri, oh yeah!

I'm curious to see how much space is between ships on the wing tool. It might be impossible to fly Phantom wings because you won't have enough space to decloak barrel roll over your wing mates and can only boost.

53 minutes ago, AegisAngel said:

I'm curious to see how much space is between ships on the wing tool. It might be impossible to fly Phantom wings because you won't have enough space to decloak barrel roll over your wing mates and can only boost.

You have 1 ship maximun on each side on the wing leader. Decloack is 2 base large, that should fit without issue.

4 hours ago, NerroSama said:

You have 1 ship maximun on each side on the wing leader. Decloack is 2 base large, that should fit without issue.

Silly (me) Just pic your Movement 5 ruler and put it horizontally... Then align each generic at each end, in the center the leader... Put ruler behind them... Rinse and repeat (without the squad leader). 

Sorry... Was an answer for NerroSama (edit)

Edited by Mpori

10 minutes ago, Mpori said:

Silly (me) Just pic your Movement 5 ruler and put it horizontally... Then align each generic at each end, in the center the leader... Put ruler behind them... Rinse and repeat (without the squad leader). 

That's what I'm saying, if the wing tool is the equivalent of a 5 straight then it's 5 small bases long. With the leader occupying the center then there is 2 straight on each side. You may be able to do a De-Cloak barrel roll but it will literally be touching the base of one of the outside phantoms.

1 hour ago, AegisAngel said:

That's what I'm saying, if the wing tool is the equivalent of a 5 straight then it's 5 small bases long. With the leader occupying the center then there is 2 straight on each side. You may be able to do a De-Cloak barrel roll but it will literally be touching the base of one of the outside phantoms.

Don't worry, the wing tool is the same as a 4 straight.  You should have room.

21 hours ago, AegisAngel said:

I guess you probably just remove your wingmates, barrel-roll decloak the leader and then use the wing tool to form up again on your new position.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:46 AM, Managarmr said:

Thane is the other designated Huge Ship Buster (it's even his card art)!

Do we know anything, how the Diamond Commanders are assigned? How many commanders can you have (2 pips on Hunter speaks for more than one per side)? Costs?...

(Some other pilots with Markmansship and Hunter which could be interesting as well: Scourge, Gideon, Rhymer, N'Dru. (I do not play PT factions outside of Arcs, do not play ST factions, so unsure if there is some cool pilot around for this).

Gavin Darklighter can grab some Rouge Squad Buddies with Protorps and Marksmanship+Dreadnaught on all for a probably-overpriced but terrifying anti-huge crit machine. Thane could do some work on his own, but he might not be the best wing leader-I'd prefer a synergy piece like Garven passing focuses with GR-75 coordinated TLs or Biggs soaking hits back off of his wingmen with Selfless while they tank damage on him so that I essentially control target priority. A Yion wing could shut down a huge pretty well with VTG because eventually some ion is bound to get through, and an opportunity to get Dutch some dedicated friends can't hurt.