MegaSilver

X-wing Rules Forum Update

Ok, don't want to turn out to be the devil's advocate but while I loathe the time it took for the devs to clarify these bits - this FAQ should've been posted the latest at the Wave's release date - I don't find the queue much more complicated than it was before the recent rulings. Actually, it might even be a bit simpler to explain and grasp for the new players?

Back in the days, when the timing came we had to accumulate all the possible effects at stake, sort them out in the preferred order and start going through them. It was all fun and games until somebody tried to link in four or more abilities to form a single gimmick. "At my go, I'll do this, to end up there, so I can reach here, to gain that so I can pay for that so that you die." As a newcomer, one had to look a couple of "ticks" of the queue ahead to predict what may happen. Sometimes, forgetting about something like the fact the enemy Anakin has an Afterburners charge left could mean he'll unexpectedly wind up half a table away from where he was anticipated. And yes, with Nantex joining in, having to triangulate how they could jump one another around so that your ship ends up totally screwed would be no fun.

Now, when a timing hits we pause the game. There's a whole bunch of abilities to consider, but the deal is simple - if it can't be used right now, the way the game state is, it won't jump out on you all of the sudden. Thanks, bye, thank you, try again another time. If that Anakin won't have someone on R1 after his Koio, then there's literally no way he does, not just no way among the ways you got to figure out. All you take into account is his 4 red manouvres. 

Once both of you used the paused game state to figure out their options we hit play. And sure - every now and then by an odd chance something won't be possible anymore... And the most obvious thing will happen - nothing will happen. The newbie paid some cost but you've somehow avoided his ability? Give them their token or charge back, fair and easy. 

The queue actually works like most actions now - you have to be able to perform an action to try (you've got to meet requirements) but if you fail it, you just failed it and that's it. I've got a feeling that red-failng actions might be the least intuitive bit now, because it's a cost that's not getting paid back to you if you fail. But hey, balance. 

Edited by Ryfterek

4 minutes ago, svelok said:

There's like four cards affected by this update

I'm impressed by people's ability to be mad anyways

🤨 Might want to look again. L3-37's ability alone is 3 cards (2 x pilot and the config side of her crew card). Hera Pilot, Nien crew, R4 astro, & Damaged engine is another 4. That is just from the ruling that constant abilities which change the dial are only applied during the Execute Maneuver step. The Ability Queue run down involves allot more...

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

And in fact, it would seem that R4/Seasoned Navigator got a bit of a buff, if anything?

57 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Ya...

Seems like the ruling means Hera/Nien and Saesee/R4 synergy no longer works?

"R4 [...] Nien [...] apply only during the Execute Maneuver step"

Reveal Dial is before and separate from Execute Maneuver

24 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Seems fairly clear. In 90% of games none of this comes up anyways.

can we have one thread without faction-conspiracy whining? : /

Maybe in your games?  But actually, the nantex and ability queue stuff comes up frequently, especially since the ships affected are in vogue right now.  Nantex, Old Teroch, DSF-311, Jedi... the list goes on.  This has been affecting a lot of games, and it's nice to get a few things figured out, while annoying that many abilities either didn't get a ruling, or were ruled in a way that might not be great for them.  And the writing could stand to be better, just like all this stuff could have been better-planned and handled in general; I'm going to be answering a lot of questions about this ruling on the wiki in the months or years ahead...  But we're better off than we were yesterday.

I was joking about the faction conspiracy stuff, but you may be primed to see it as whining and be angry about it.  I get that some people take it more personally and that would be tiring.  But more seriously, Scum gets screwed by most of these rulings, and for an already overpriced faction, that sucks a lot.  I repeat my hope that this is laying the groundwork for a points update that takes the errata's effects into account.

19 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I... the Hera/R4/Nein thing didn’t really help me?

think they’re trying to clarify that the Cova/R4 ruling doesn’t screw up anyone else? And in fact, it would seem that R4/Seasoned Navigator got a bit of a buff, if anything?

But also they’re clarifying all the wrong parts of things, it feels like.

I think part of the problem is that they're making rulings that actually change/add rules, but they don't seem to want to actually change the Rules Reference to reflect this.  For R4 and similar, all they really needed was to add a definition for "Revealed Maneuver" that defined it as being the maneuver sans modifiers, and state that if an effect wasn't referring to "Revealed Maneuver", modifiers applied.  Then, just ensure that the entry for Activation Phase doesn't refer to "Revealed Maneuver" or its definition, and you're good to go.

Instead, they made rulings that made the written rules conflict with themselves, leading to a need for further rulings; and they still haven't actually reworked the Rules Reference. 

19 hours ago, wurms said:

EDIT: Also, errata of a single card is easier on 'new players'/'casual players not into the game so much' because they have their game, read the rules, player their homes games, then venture out to local gameshop and play a card once and told actually it works like this. Done. Thats it. But now, its like "Oh, sorry, you see none of those cards work that way, there is a thing called an ability queue and first you have to check if can pay the cost to have it enter that queue, and then when resolving that ability you have to then check to see if the ability can still trigger, and then actually pay the costs."

Depends on the scope of the errata.  If it's just a minor change, it's usually not too bad.  Some changes can drastically change how a card works, however, and finding out after you've begun a game that a really fun-looking card plays very differently from what you thought isn't a great feeling. 

18 hours ago, svelok said:

There's like four cards affected by this update

I'm impressed by people's ability to be mad anyways

Speaking personally, I'm less interested in the specific cards and more concerned with the underlying, systemic issues. 

20 hours ago, wurms said:

Pintpoint Tractor Array should say: "After executing a maneuver, you may perform a rotate action, if you do, gain 1 tractor token."

if you word it like that then you also need to follow it up with

"This does not count as an action"

Otherwise it counts as the ship's action for the turn

But other than that, i agree with you as it leaves no room for people to read too deeply into the meaning of it's use

I never had this issue as i was playing the nantex the way it was intended to be. But i understand why people misinterpreted the wording.  Just by reading it with a slightly different mindset on the intentions of how they want to operate the ship for their own benefit. 

Then they were never technically wrong because the wording does leave it a slight bit open ended to question the rule

24 minutes ago, executor said:

The wording is correct (see Temmin Wexley for his free boost action). Using the word "action" just prevents them from using it while stressed, etc.

39 minutes ago, executor said:

The limit is 1 action per ship per Perform Action step of the Activation Phase (+ linked action), not 1 per turn. If a ship is granted an action outside of the Perform Action, which Pin-point Tractor Array does for the Nantex, step it can still do its action in the Perform Action step unless the ability granting the action or a game effect prevents it.

Edited by Hiemfire

More specifically, the game doesn't limit the number of actions you can perform during your Perform Action step; that step just grants you an action.  It's the main and most reliable effect that can grant a ship an action, but it works like any other "take an action" effect.  Other action opportunities can trigger from there, such as Linked Actions, Autothrusters, Darth Vader, etc.

Whenever you're granted an action, as long as there's not an effect restricting your action choices (e.g. stress, ionized, etc), you can just take the action (see afterburners, temmin, and various other effects that grant actions).  Being granted actions by other effects doesn't suppress your Perform Action step's action unless the effect says so (e.g. Advanced Sensors).  The Perform Action step works just like any other time where you're granted an action by an effect, except that various rules can refer specifically to the perform action step (like SLAM, ionized, etc).

There are some wacky shenanigans you can pull with Pattern Analyzer if you can either take actions while stressed or strip the stress of a red maneuver (e.g. Nien Nunb).  Understanding the rules to that degree pays dividends.  ^_^

But in short: an action is just an action.  You can link off of Afterburners just like you can link off of your Perform Action step action.  The game is usually indifferent to how or why you got an action, with a few special exceptions like SLAM.