Fatal Justice

Return to Black star Rise locked situation ? (spoiler)

Hi,

We have just finished Return to Black Star Rise (victory C2) but encountered this situation

Two players, Tony and Mandy, but Tony was defeated by horror, so mandy was on her own.

Agenda 2a / Act 3c (open the path above)

While on Abbey Tower (the path is open), i did draw "Hastur's gaze".

Fortunately, i did have a "ward of protection" and cancel the revelation.

Else i would have to add it to my hand... and Abbey's tower strictly forbid any clue discovering while having cards in your hand.

Hastur's Gaze is hidden, and "cannot be discarded from your hand by any means except those described on the card" (campaign guide)

Therefore i should not be able to discard it using location's ability ( Discard up to 3 cards from your hand ).

Sadly the forced effect need 1 doom placed on agenda c ... which did not exist anymore...

As i said, i did play ward of protection and escape this nasty trap, but is there a special rule to overcome this ?

Furthermore, it was not the end, as my next upkeep phase bring this

ūüôÉ

I haven’t played Return to Carcosa yet, but maybe this is helpful in the excuse to replay it. We could be wrong, but we have always interpreted the rule for choosing random basic weaknesses as only using the core set weaknesses and the weaknesses that come with the expansion you are playing. It seems that those weaknesses that come with the expansions are thematic to them. Your worst Nightmare may not really have happened! 

9 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

I haven’t played Return to Carcosa yet, but maybe this is helpful in the excuse to replay it. We could be wrong, but we have always interpreted the rule for choosing random basic weaknesses as only using the core set weaknesses and the weaknesses that come with the expansion you are playing. It seems that those weaknesses that come with the expansions are thematic to them. Your worst Nightmare may not really have happened! 

You are wrong. The pool of basic weaknesses is constructed from one copy of every product you own (see FAQ and Learn to Play Guide).

You are, of course, welcome to houserule as you like - basic weaknesses are among the best places for houserules - but these are the actual rules.

Looking at the wording again,¬†that makes sense. When we started¬†playing, Dunwich ¬†was just being released¬†and so we obviously added in those weaknesses.¬†Somehow we got¬†lost in translation and just assumed¬†that when choosing the random weakness,¬†the core set was always used¬†and the expansion weaknesses¬†were added based on the expansion. Thanks for the clarification...I think!ūü•∂

43 minutes ago, Allonym said:
57 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

You are wrong. The pool of basic weaknesses is constructed from one copy of every product you own (see FAQ and Learn to Play Guide).

You are, of course, welcome to houserule as you like - basic weaknesses are among the best places for houserules - but these are the act