Sign in to follow this  
Samuel Richard

Tank Commander build

Hey, just wanted some advice for character building. Im making a rebel mirialan tank commander and Im wonder after how to build him. Im taking Squadron Leader first but after that Im not certain if I should pick up gunner, driver, or tactician. What do you guys think or should I try something different?

Since the Mirialans start with one Agility, that gives you a decent stat to use for Gunnery, and since tank commanders often had command of the tank's machine gun, it would make a degree of sense to go for Gunner, but it all really depends on you concept for the character. While I can build particularly efficient characters, I prefer to build characters based off of what I think makes sense for the character concept. I would not suggest Tactician because it doesn't give you anything that is both useful and not something in the Squadron Leader tree (unless you really want Commanding Presence and Natural Leader)

It also depends on the sort of tank you are commanding. If you are commanding an AT-TE (cuz it can have a command center in the back) that leads a ground army, Strategist would be a good choice, but if you are commanding 1 of 3 dozen TX-130s (yeah, Clone Wars is my specialty), you are less likely to be fulfilling the commanding officer role, and more just in charge of the specific tank (and gunnery would be more useful because the TX-130 has a top gunner [though it can also be controlled from inside] which could be the commander).

Driver would only make sense if you are actually driving the thing, and the commander shouldn't generally be the one driving because he needs to be able to focus on the battle and giving out orders.

I would suggest that if you're going for Squadron Leader (and just not getting the piloting ones) that you follow it up with either Gunner (for a smaller tank) or Strategist if you are going to be commanding mass combats/more than just your tank.

It really all depends on what sort of tank you are commanding and the circumstances around your command.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Since the Mirialans start with one Agility, that gives you a decent stat to use for Gunnery, and since tank commanders often had command of the tank's machine gun, it would make a degree of sense to go for Gunner, but it all really depends on you concept for the character. While I can build particularly efficient characters, I prefer to build characters based off of what I think makes sense for the character concept. I would not suggest Tactician because it doesn't give you anything that is both useful and not something in the Squadron Leader tree (unless you really want Commanding Presence and Natural Leader)

It also depends on the sort of tank you are commanding. If you are commanding an AT-TE (cuz it can have a command center in the back) that leads a ground army, Strategist would be a good choice, but if you are commanding 1 of 3 dozen TX-130s (yeah, Clone Wars is my specialty), you are less likely to be fulfilling the commanding officer role, and more just in charge of the specific tank (and gunnery would be more useful because the TX-130 has a top gunner [though it can also be controlled from inside] which could be the commander).

Driver would only make sense if you are actually driving the thing, and the commander shouldn't generally be the one driving because he needs to be able to focus on the battle and giving out orders.

I would suggest that if you're going for Squadron Leader (and just not getting the piloting ones) that you follow it up with either Gunner (for a smaller tank) or Strategist if you are going to be commanding mass combats/more than just your tank.

It really all depends on what sort of tank you are commanding and the circumstances around your command.

I was planning on just being in charge of max my tank and a few others. Definitely a TX-130 though, they are pretty good. 

If the character is going to be the tank commander, then driver and gunner aren't what you want. Commander, driver and gunner really need to be separate roles in a tank, designs that try to get one person doing two of those jobs have tended to be less successful. Most modern tanks have a crew of 3 or 4 for this reason - the fourth being the loader, who can be dispensed with in tanks with autoloader systems, and wouldn't really be relevant in a tank armed with an energy-based main gun.