Sign in to follow this  
Jamborinio

Will FFG ever release an 'upgrade card patch'?

Posted (edited)

I'd really love to see FFG release an upgrade card patch so to speak. Something that takes all those useless or mediocre cards that we all know about and never use, and tweaks them to breathe new life into them so that those small upgrade cards are no longer just card waste in a box. 

For example, so many of those Ion Cannon upgrades, quite a few of the Turbolaser upgrades, an opportunity to revisit Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon - such an iconic character and ship that sadly never sees 'sensible play', and is now likely replaced by Lando in the Falcon.

I know most players are all cult of the new, and we all love the hype around what's the shiny thing coming, however, surely there'd be a big market for an upgrade card patch should they decide to go down that route. 

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Jamborinio

I'd rather they give us new cards than tinker with old ones. As far as iconic characters are concerned, I think FFG did quite a good job with Darth Vader. His first incarnation (TIE Advanced) was seriously lacking and didn't feel very epic on the table. Admiral Vader... feels a little generic. But then they zeroed in on the character, first with Boarding Vader nailing that scene from Rogue one, and now with Officer Vader choking incompetent fools all day long.

So I guess what I'm saying is just give us Admiral Han or Boarding Party Han and Chewie (seriously, why is Chewbacca not in the game yet?).

I like it and I don't like it. Yes there are many cards that never see play. But then again I am always positively surprised how FFG manages to make cards relevant without touching them. Just look back a few months and nobody ever played Point-Defense Reroute or Quad Laser Turrets. Now you see them quite frequently on SSDs. So I don't think every rarely used card needs an update, some cards might have uses outside of the standard because they either scale better with large fleets or because they are more valuable in small fleets, an example (Also disclaimer this is apparently a very unpopular opinion):

Reserve Hangar Deck is in my opinion a bad card in a normal 400 point competitive setting. Mostly because I can't remember when the last time was somebody brought a generic Swarm squad. Everybody just plays aces and I do not think that this one card is going to change anything about that. So I can totally see this card becoming one of those rarely ever played cards in the 400 point format. But I do think this is an amazing card if you play the RitR campaign. Being limited in the amount of ace squads you can bring means you are forced to bring generic squads and since you play on just half the points a squad saved by this card makes up a much higher percentage of you total fleet than if you played a 400 point game. So in this setting Reserve Hangar Deck is just much more valuable than in a 400 point game.

Though I do agree that there are some cards that can only be helped through an update. Cards like Dominator for example.

So what I am trying to say is that I would welcome this with some very few cards but we all know that this is never going to happen.

26 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I like it and I don't like it. Yes there are many cards that never see play. But then again I am always positively surprised how FFG manages to make cards relevant without touching them. Just look back a few months and nobody ever played Point-Defense Reroute or Quad Laser Turrets. Now you see them quite frequently on SSDs. So I don't think every rarely used card needs an update, some cards might have uses outside of the standard because they either scale better with large fleets or because they are more valuable in small fleets, an example (Also disclaimer this is apparently a very unpopular opinion):

Reserve Hangar Deck is in my opinion a bad card in a normal 400 point competitive setting. Mostly because I can't remember when the last time was somebody brought a generic Swarm squad. Everybody just plays aces and I do not think that this one card is going to change anything about that. So I can totally see this card becoming one of those rarely ever played cards in the 400 point format. But I do think this is an amazing card if you play the RitR campaign. Being limited in the amount of ace squads you can bring means you are forced to bring generic squads and since you play on just half the points a squad saved by this card makes up a much higher percentage of you total fleet than if you played a 400 point game. So in this setting Reserve Hangar Deck is just much more valuable than in a 400 point game.

Though I do agree that there are some cards that can only be helped through an update. Cards like Dominator for example.

So what I am trying to say is that I would welcome this with some very few cards but we all know that this is never going to happen.

There is potential for it to see play in sector fleet battles as well. Have a couple of forward flotillas with this card, and maybe even your primary carrier. That’s two to three generic swarm fighters back on the field to reinforce the endangered squadrons, and having those fighters jump into the fray where you want them can make a difference.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Destraa said:

There is potential for it to see play in sector fleet battles as well. Have a couple of forward flotillas with this card, and maybe even your primary carrier. That’s two to three generic swarm fighters back on the field to reinforce the endangered squadrons, and having those fighters jump into the fray where you want them can make a difference.

Yes, I too think that this card might see use in sector fleet battles, because there are only so many different Ace squads. So if you want to bring an adequate amount of squads you are probably once again forced to bring generics so now Reserve Hangar Deck can shine once again. 

Edited by LordCola

9 hours ago, Jamborinio said:

surely there'd be a big market for an upgrade card patch

I think it will be the easiest buck they can make.

FFG might be scared if people buy less ships because of this release but at the same time I believe majority of the players have most of the ships. So, apart from new players coming to the game, I don't think it will affect the sales of the ships.

It would be nice to not refer to FAQ pages whilst playing,

15 minutes ago, LostFleet said:

I think it will be the easiest buck they can make.

FFG might be scared if people buy less ships because of this release but at the same time I believe majority of the players have most of the ships. So, apart from new players coming to the game, I don't think it will affect the sales of the ships.

It would be nice to not refer to FAQ pages whilst playing,

If FFG was scared of selling fewer ships, we wouldn’t see these droughts between reprints.

26 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Which cards are useless? I dont see any.

I have never seen anybody play Director Isard. I haven't even heard anybody ever talking about it 😄

I mean, by the very nature of the word, it is not "useless". Director Isard does in fact have an effect, it's just not good. Especially not for 3 points and gibing up the officer slot.

21 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I have never seen anybody play Director Isard. I haven't even heard anybody ever talking about it 😄

I mean, by the very nature of the word, it is not "useless". Director Isard does in fact have an effect, it's just not good. Especially not for 3 points and gibing up the officer slot.

One of my teammates from the last CC campaign we played used Director Isard and that was the first time that I've seen someone use her. I don't know how much it benefited him on the games, but he said that it was funny because it was irritating to his opponents to show their command dials every turn, so I think that counts for something 😁

Edited by Lemmiwinks86