Sign in to follow this  
Wiouds

Too much in the mytho phase

Who else feel too much is happens during the mytho phase? Be it too much down time or too many events happen during it.

I feel that too much happens during the mytho phase. I think two tokens for each players is a bit much. It adds more step for the down time and the allow for overwhelming the player too fast.

I also find the mythos phase and its mechanics to be the least exciting thing about AH3 and fully agree that too much can happen in it without players getting a chance to respond to it.

In combination with the very boring monster combat mechanic the game at tiles feel like a pretty dull affair. Lots of shine but very little heart put into it 😕

i still enjoy it and hoping a big expansion comes offering big changes but right now im looking forward to dead of night! 

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing you're playing with a higher player count.  With 1-2 players it's pretty minor, with 3-4 it's a bit more aggravating, but with 5-6 you're going through almost the entire bag each time.

We draw all of them one-at-a-time, but we draw them all back-to-back-to-back.  We also split who does what: someone in charge of doom & gate bursts and assigning clues (handing them to whoever's not doing anything so they can shuffle them in to the top of the deck), someone else adds the doom/clue tokens to the board, someone else counts through the tokens in sequence.  It cuts down on the downtime.

As for overwhelming, the higher player counts are prone to bigger swings as the doom can overwhelm 1 or 2 areas of the board.  They can also respond more effectively (if they aren't all in a corner location) and clear 1 or 2 anomalies and clear (or nearly clear) the board of monsters.

Essentially, your trading for board control for increased doom accumulation.  You also have the ability to find clues at an accelerated rate.  It's a trade-off.

I think delegation and pulling tokens faster keeps people engaged.  If only 1 person is doing all the token placement and card manipulation, the rest of the players will feel the downtime.

Edited by Duciris

On 10/9/2019 at 5:37 AM, Attackmack said:

I also find the mythos phase and its mechanics to be the least exciting thing about AH3 and fully agree that too much can happen in it without players getting a chance to respond to it.

In combination with the very boring monster combat mechanic the game at tiles feel like a pretty dull affair. Lots of shine but very little heart put into it 😕

i still enjoy it and hoping a big expansion comes offering big changes but right now im looking forward to dead of night! 

I find the pace is too much. IT so fast that at time it feels like that you ate the whims of RNG like a roll and move game.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, Duciris said:

I'm guessing you're playing with a higher player count.  With 1-2 players it's pretty minor, with 3-4 it's a bit more aggravating, but with 5-6 you're going through almost the entire bag each time.

We draw all of them one-at-a-time, but we draw them all back-to-back-to-back.  We also split who does what: someone in charge of doom & gate bursts and assigning clues (handing them to whoever's not doing anything so they can shuffle them in to the top of the deck), someone else adds the doom/clue tokens to the board, someone else counts through the tokens in sequence.  It cuts down on the downtime.

As for overwhelming, the higher player counts are prone to bigger swings as the doom can overwhelm 1 or 2 areas of the board.  They can also respond more effectively (if they aren't all in a corner location) and clear 1 or 2 anomalies and clear (or nearly clear) the board of monsters.

Essentially, your trading for board control for increased doom accumulation.  You also have the ability to find clues at an accelerated rate.  It's a trade-off.

I think delegation and pulling tokens faster keeps people engaged.  If only 1 person is doing all the token placement and card manipulation, the rest of the players will feel the downtime.

I find after 7 investigators action phase that the mytho has out pace the players so much.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:26 PM, Duciris said:

Exactly. That's the reason why I keep telling the game doesn't scale properly: even if the number of tokens is proportional to the players in the game, scaling still doesn't work because effects can snowball before investigators can react. One thing is:

a) Investigator A resolves their turn
b) Mythos for Investigator A
c) Investigator B keeps playing

and another one is resolving a chain of 12 tokens, especially when there's a reshuffling of the chaos bag in between so that you can pull two gate bursts on the same neighborhood in a row, or two reckoning effects. It's bonkers.

I'd suggest to go this way: 2 per player until you reach 6 tokens, then resolve an extra token per player. When you setup for 4+ players, remove a blank from the Mythos cup.

7 hours ago, Julia said:

Exactly. That's the reason why I keep telling the game doesn't scale properly: even if the number of tokens is proportional to the players in the game, scaling still doesn't work because effects can snowball before investigators can react. One thing is:

a) Investigator A resolves their turn
b) Mythos for Investigator A
c) Investigator B keeps playing

and another one is resolving a chain of 12 tokens, especially when there's a reshuffling of the chaos bag in between so that you can pull two gate bursts on the same neighborhood in a row, or two reckoning effects. It's bonkers.

I'd suggest to go this way: 2 per player until you reach 6 tokens, then resolve an extra token per player. When you setup for 4+ players, remove a blank from the Mythos cup.

I thinking in the terms of seven investigator action phases or 14 investigator actions because that is one cycle of the typical mytho bag. The only different in the number of investigators is the pattern of investigator actions and mythos.  One cycle of a typical bag will place 8 problems to the board. two of which will require movements to handle. Investigators have only two actions that counter the mythos. To go along with this often movement is needed. It does not help that clue is also location base as well. Even worse I find there is no real room to ignore the problems from the mytho bag.

Edited by Wiouds