Grand Admiral Buford

The return of the... Wedge

35 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Oh wow, you purposefully missed that one.

Please re-assess your membership on this forum.

Well, I would have joined Wraith Squadron instead, but they said I was too serious.

11 hours ago, Tott said:

theres a good chance that Wedges 'presence' is just Denis Lawson standing in the background without saying a word then he's suddenly killed. for no apparent reason.

Considering that from what I read about him not wanting to be in TFA, I sincerely doubt that.  Lawson didn’t want a bit cameo, iirc.

1 hour ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

Considering that from what I read about him not wanting to be in TFA, I sincerely doubt that.  Lawson didn’t want a bit cameo, iirc.

Read the previous page. Lawson said he was misunderstood and would have loved to have done a cameo but he couldn't because of scheduling conflicts.

Doesn’t matter what he reportedly said then or now. The truth is we weren’t in the room and will never know how such a massive misunderstanding could come to pass. There’s no point in nerd rage over reports from various companies needing your eyes to score advertising revenue.

Here's to hoping Wedge plays some kind of role that gets acknowledged rather than three lines and lots of visibly standing around.

54 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Read the previous page. Lawson said he was misunderstood and would have loved to have done a cameo but he couldn't because of scheduling conflicts.

Ahh, I missed that.

Even so, it’s Dennis ******* Lawson.  I doubt he’d be ok with just standing in the background and getting spaced.

We’re pretty flippant about spoilers on these forums, huh?

I already knew, but surely there are a lot of fans out there trying to go in without any information.

EDIT: Managed to get spoiled on something else (that I happened to care more about too).

Edited by astronautcowboy

15 minutes ago, astronautcowboy said:

I already knew, but surely there are a lot of fans out there trying to go in without any information.

EDIT: Managed to get spoiled on something else (that I happened to care more about too).

To be fair, this is a forum dedicated to a tabletop game set within the Star Wars franchise. Anything the might indicate something that could be coming to the game is going to be pounced on and posted about in hopes of stirring discussion. Spoilers kind of go with the territory.

1 hour ago, astronautcowboy said:

What spoilers?

Maybe the protagonists will find themselves in some space cantina, full of weird-looking aliens and human, some permanently intoxicated. Among them there will be a gray-haired drunk, telling everyone again about how he managed to score four touchdowns in one ga.... sorry, two Death Stars in one war :P

20 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Oh give it a frakking rest. Leia, C-3P0, R2, and frankly Luke are still around. They've only actually killed Han Solo and Admiral Ackbar, and was one of those really a hero or just a guy with three lines in RoTJ?

Don't act like Ackbar was anything different. The dude was a meme.

Remember, Luke's still alive through the force. He may have died physically but you should know that barely matters in Star Wars.

****. Han and Luke both had meaningful deaths. If you can't see that then I'm really sorry.

I never said anything about Aackbar.

Leia is living on borrowed time, but you knew that even before Carrie Fisher passed.

Han and Luke may of had a meaningful death for you, but that's not the case for many others.

You know what would be great? Not killing one of our Hero's for cheap&EZ dramatic effect.

Edited by Gibbilo

11 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

To be fair, this is a forum dedicated to a tabletop game set within the Star Wars franchise. Anything the might indicate something that could be coming to the game is going to be pounced on and posted about in hopes of stirring discussion. Spoilers kind of go with the territory.

I get that, but a topic like “The return of the... [ROS Spoilers]” would at least provide a bit more cover.

It doesn’t really help that even Disney has been pretty cavalier about spoilers this go around. In spite of the whole “Don’t Spoil This” campaign for Avengers, StarWars.com was all like...”We cast Billy Dee!” Perhaps the appearance of a character isn’t on par with a major movie ending, but still...there are people out there who want to know absolutely nothing.

Edited by astronautcowboy

1 hour ago, Gibbilo said:

Leia is living on borrowed time, but you knew that even before Carrie Fisher passed.

Han and Luke may of had a meaningful death for you, but that's not the case for many others.

You know what would be great? Not killing one of our Hero's for cheap&EZ dramatic effect.

I think Han's death was great. It served the story well, set up Kylo's arc really well, and Harrison Ford was totally for it. 

Luke's on the other hand... not so much. Luke didn't really do much, and Mark Hamill doesn't seem satisfied with where his character's arc has gone.

Overall I think Han was handled much better than Luke, but that's just like, my opinion man.

1 hour ago, Sir Orrin said:

I think Han's death was great. It served the story well, set up Kylo's arc really well, and Harrison Ford was totally for it. 

Luke's on the other hand... not so much. Luke didn't really do much, and Mark Hamill doesn't seem satisfied with where his character's arc has gone.

Overall I think Han was handled much better than Luke, but that's just like, my opinion man.

Luke went out like the pacifist badass a jedi should be, though.  That final confrontation between him and the personified internet fanboy rage that is Kylo Ren, was one of the best parts of Last Jedi.

3 hours ago, Gibbilo said:

Not my fault you can't figure out the narrative impact of these deaths, and not-deaths.

3 hours ago, astronautcowboy said:

I get that, but a topic like “The return of the... [ROS Spoilers]” would at least provide a bit more cover.

It doesn’t really help that even Disney has been pretty cavalier about spoilers this go around. In spite of the whole “Don’t Spoil This” campaign for Avengers, StarWars.com was all like...”We cast Billy Dee!” Perhaps the appearance of a character isn’t on par with a major movie ending, but still...there are people out there who want to know absolutely nothing.

I can kind of see your point, but at the same time, I'm having trouble seeing "Wedge is in the movie" as a "spoiler".  I mean, if it had looked like he was killed off in a previous movie, then his return might be something to keep under wraps, but the mere fact that he's back, and in a thoroughly unknown capacity, doesn't really seem to require a warning.

35 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Not my fault you can't figure out the narrative impact of these deaths, and not-deaths.

What’s funny to me, is that Ackbar’s death actually had exactly the kind of impact it should.  He didn’t go down in some grandiose last stand, or by standing up briefly to a villain.  He died a war death.  Exactly the kind of death that could be expected.  Suddenly, without warning, without glory or fame.  Just gone.  Because the bridge he was on was destroyed (by Kylo’s wingmates), and if the explosion doesn’t kill you then the cold life-sucking vacuum of space definitely will.  And he’s not the first Star Wars admiral to die this way, he’s just one of the few noteworthy “good guys” to have.  The list of such war deaths also includes Grand Moff Tarkin, Admiral Piett, and Commander Gherant.  An argument could be made for some of Red and Gold squadron in New Hope, but they were pilots and we expect a sudden and unheroic death by explosion or vacuum exposure for most of them.  

Ackbar went down in an inglorious way...  because he was a commanding officer and that **** happens.  Only Leia survived because even getting spaced can’t stop her.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

4 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

What’s funny to me, is that Ackbar’s death actually had exactly the kind of impact it should.  He didn’t go down in some grandiose last stand, or by standing up briefly to a villain.  He died a war death.  Exactly the kind of death that could be expected.  Suddenly, without warning, without glory or fame.  Just gone.  Because the bridge he was on was destroyed (by Kylo’s wingmates), and if the explosion doesn’t kill you then the cold life-sucking vacuum of space definitely will.  And he’s not the first Star Wars admiral to die this way, he’s just one of the few noteworthy “good guys” to have.  The list of such war deaths also includes Grand Moff Tarkin, Admiral Piett, and Commander Gherant.  An argument could be made for some of Red and Gold squadron in New Hope, but they were pilots and we expect a sudden and unheroic death by explosion or vacuum exposure for most of them.  

Ackbar went down in an inglorious way...  because he was a commanding officer and that **** happens.  Only Leia survived because even getting spaced can’t stop her.

Thank you for saying this. I'm strongly reminded of Kat's death in Halo: Reach, and it's easily one of my favorites in the game. Just gets a bolt through the head, doesn't matter that she was part of an elite squad. It happens.

5 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

Only Leia survived because even getting spaced can’t stop her.

It doesn't help that her space walk was the first time on screen we've seen a Force Sensitive in vacuum and many of the viewers had no clue that both of the Skywalker twins inherited their father's connection to the Force...

Just a note, her spacewalk scene, minus the Force pull to get herself back into the ship, is one of the more realistic renditions of what happens to the human body in low pressure environments to have hit the big screen.

Edited by Hiemfire

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

It doesn't help that her space walk was the first time on screen we've seen a Force Sensitive in vacuum and many of the viewers had no clue that both of the Skywalker twins inherited their father's connection to the Force...

Just a note, her spacewalk scene, minus the Force pull to get herself back into the ship, is one of the more realistic renditions of what happens to the human body in low pressure environments to have hit the big screen.

Still love that scene, always have and always will. Made the force feel like some kind of magic again, rather than the over-quantifiable... thing that it's been in Expanded Universe material.

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

rather than the over-quantifiable... thing that it's been in Expanded Universe material.

Interestingly that wasn't my takeaway from how the old Expanded Universe made use of it. To me it was still "magical" since the full depths of what it enabled was never explored and the quantified portion was just the furthest the people with the sensitivity to it were willing to go.

10 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Thank you for saying this. I'm strongly reminded of Kat's death in Halo: Reach, and it's easily one of my favorites in the game. Just gets a bolt through the head, doesn't matter that she was part of an elite squad. It happens.

Other such deaths for me include the medic Shed, the OPA engineer Sam, and a certain major political leader from The Expanse series.  Not to mention Galahad in the first Kingsman movie.  I was actually kinda pissed they brought him back in the second.

12 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

her space walk was the first time on screen we've seen a Force Sensitive in vacuum

SW Rebels Spoiler from 2017 for some folks I guess, but:

In Star Wars Rebels,  Season 4 (I think?) Kanan gets spaced and pulls himself back on board. It predated the release of TLJ too. But the majority of viewers likely didn't see that series, let alone that episode.

Link to video.