Blail Blerg

Updated post worlds - Thoughts on the next points change?

I'm usually not bothered by a named pilot with ability being the same price as a generic.  FFG is basically saying "Hey, if you're going generic, have an ability for free.  But if you want more than one ship, the rest will be generic".

Or more sinisterly... "The first is freeee..." *waves death sticks*  ;)

18 minutes ago, Wazat said:

I'm usually not bothered by a named pilot with ability being the same price as a generic.  FFG is basically saying "Hey, if you're going generic, have an ability for free.  But if you want more than one ship, the rest will be generic".

Hey, I’m fine with it too, and it allows me to run my swarm of squirrels on meth.  Just trying to mentally prepare myself for another list I am enjoying the heck out of getting price hammered into oblivion.  Then again, there is some dead weight in my 5-A list, it can absorb some increases.

22 minutes ago, thebrettski said:

Composure, anyone?  It's not a problem per se; but there are a few pilots that can massage extra economy out of it.  It's a steal at 1 point, the cheapest action you can get.  

Temmin is the one that comes to mind, usually in the Resistance Salad/Beef or whatever it's called (Temmin with Composure, Bastian, Jessika, Lulo with crack shot + predator).  Flying behind his buddies both empowers Jess and ensures he fails his boost for a consistent double mod.

I'm not sure whether it's actually OP; Temmin is only one part of the list, and it's solid in tournaments but perhaps not top-tier.  I've fought that particular list only once (with Wullffwarro War Crimes) and for my fleet it was a tough fight: lots of bulk and well-modded firepower (double mods on temmin, bastian, and jessika; lulo is lulo).  But I'm guessing aces and other mobile lists picked it apart since he didn't get into the top 8 (the list needs to stay together more than rebel beef etc, save for lulo who likes to flank; I assume this makes it pretty easy for inquisitors, aces, etc to flank and arc-dodge), though that could also be the luck of matchups and individual mistakes.

Temmin is init 4 and needs the full list's bulk and power or he's an easy target.  I've fought against him in lists that give him a more stand-alone capacity, and while his double mods were scary, they weren't as consistent and he was easy to target and take down.

At least, that's been my experience.  I'm interested in what others have to say on the matter.

4 hours ago, Wazat said:

I'm mixed on these things.

If it's a pilot who requires specific upgrade choices to work (Joy Reckoff, Recoil) I'm a lot more into it than when it has the same slots/init as the main pilot.  I guess technically Recoil with Fanatical is a straight buff over a FOTP with Fanatical in a few wicked narrow circumstances, but essentially Recoil needs a bullseye Talent, so it's about flavor and style rather than power.

Also, if same-price named pilots also lose Talent slots, I'm also totally fine with being the same price as a generic.  I'd love to see that happen with Lieutenant Karsabi and Evaan Verlaine, just from a balance point of view.  No talent slot, but the same price as the Init 3 generics.

For Greer specifically, I'm not super into it, since the ability is an always handy one, and he's got the same upgrade slots as the Green.

2 hours ago, thebrettski said:

Composure, anyone?  It's not a problem per se; but there are a few pilots that can massage extra economy out of it.  It's a steal at 1 point, the cheapest action you can get.  

The fact that it's so hard to actually use as action economy seems fine to me.  Mostly it's a training wheels talent.

Now that worlds is over, do you think Nantex should have points changes? (I do think the rules could be less convoluted) 

I hesitantly argue not overall. I think the base chassis could come down to 32 and ensnare up to 12, but then you run into the 32x6 problem again with Interceptors that FFG doesn't like. I reckon I3 Stalgasins are MUCH better than I1 Interceptors. 

While I still think there should be more counter play and that these things likely rip up low Init swarm... 

They're generally not great vs out-bidded/higher-init aces actually. And die to damage from far range. 

2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Now that worlds is over, do you think Nantex should have points changes? (I do think the rules could be less convoluted) 

No, leave them as is. Maybe faq to clear up the rules which they’ve partially done already.

They're clearly not as bad as folks think.

My wish list post worlds for point changes are.... not much. I don’t think I saw too much of any particular thing.

Chertek could go up a point or 2 IMO.

And a bit of help is needed for Ewing, the two aggressors, scum falcon . 

Major help needed for YT2400, just major ;) The jumpmaster is a weird one due to Dengar being 'OK', not sure what to do there.

Also a few overcosted upgrades could go down like rebel C3PO crew, would love to see different cards on the table like Gonk or Novice Tech etc. etc. 

Edited by mcintma

On 10/15/2019 at 10:11 PM, theBitterFig said:

Also, if same-price named pilots also lose Talent slots, I'm also totally fine with being the same price as a generic.  I'd love to see that happen with Lieutenant Karsabi and Evaan Verlaine, just from a balance point of view.  No talent slot, but the same price as the Init 3 generics.

I personally wouldn't like having Evaan lose her talent slot, I like flying her with Selfless as support for super VIPs like Han & Luke (rerolls/infinite force + extra agility + Selfless to diffuse damage = super tanks), and Selfless + her ability will be really great support for CR-90s when Epic comes along.

4 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

I would not be surprised to see Crack Shot go up to 2 points. Two lists in the top 8 of worlds had 3 or more copies.

I dunno. 

Just because a couple lists made it that far with numerous copies doesn't mean the nerf bat needs to come out.

I think the problem with a lot of people's analytical skills is that they look at flat statistics and assume the data is what determines how points should be costed.

Yet completely ignore the organic part of this game.  People make decisions based on past knowledge and guessing what they are likely to run into at an event.  Then having to be constantly analyzing the board state on the fly. (Pun intended)

Now if say a very large number of the player base is taking crack shot almost every given time because it's value far outshines taking anything else, then and only then do you need to really take a hard look at its cost.

I mean i don't know the full worlds lists or even have time to analyze it all myself but i highly doubt a 1 point upgrade that can only be used once which must be lined up in the bullseye arc to even use is overpowered.

It's an interesting upgrade, but personally for me i only use the upgrade when i have 1 of 2 options in front if me during list building. 

1. I'm really tight on points and it's a good option at only 1 point

2. No other upgrades would really benefit me enough to justify not taking it for any particular list I'm building and it's better than nothing unless I'm going for a points bid

I think i have about 25 or so lists built on my app currently.  I think i might have only 1 or 2 lists with at least 1 copy of crack shot

It's useful but not OP in my opinion

Edited by executor

Crack shot is good cheap filler. If it was raised to 2 points I'd take predator over it, or marksman as filler, it needs to stay 1 to be relevant.

Scum still has many chassis that are sorely in need of a point reduction. M3A, Kimogila, J5K, YV-666, YT-1300, Lancer, Z-95, G1-A, Quadrijet, Y-wing, and Scurrg(got overnerfed, bring it down a little). Mostly just a point or two. At least remove the illicit slot tax. Fang and Firespray generics and Viper named could probably go down a bit too(Nobody runs the 50 point generic Fangs, Dalan and Xizor are not worth a 6 point premium over the generic Assassin).

Brobots need love. I truthfully couldn't tell you exactly what they need, but man do they need it. I legitimately don't think a points drop would be enough to offset their mechanical issues.

Also, I'm going to say it, and I don't care who comes after me for it: Jumpmasters. Sure, Dengar is ok-ish. Sort of. In some match-ups. And I'm not advocating at all for the return of the dreaded U-boats. But come on... they need *something*, and I feel like it starts with an overhaul of their upgrade slots, not with their points.