Deadshane

For the annoying 3xTauntaun unit in all of us!

27 minutes ago, drail14me said:

That’s annoying!!!

So, I’m a new player and don’t quite understand what’s so great about Taintauns. Can someone explain?

They are very mobile and shoot 4 reds with sharpshooter 1.  They can ram stuff and get engaged so they arent attacked, but they can leave that engagement anytime and shoot again.  They should only move and move as their activations each time because they get a free attack and 2 free dodges each time they do.  They also have 4 lives each so they are decently tanky with 2 dodges each round, 3 dodges if they used Liea's 2 pip, or luke's 2 pip card that round.

8 minutes ago, weebaer said:

They are very mobile and shoot 4 reds with sharpshooter 1.  They can ram stuff and get engaged so they arent attacked, but they can leave that engagement anytime and shoot again.  They should only move and move as their activations each time because they get a free attack and 2 free dodges each time they do.  They also have 4 lives each so they are decently tanky with 2 dodges each round, 3 dodges if they used Liea's 2 pip, or luke's 2 pip card that round.

I was looking at those red dice and thinking only two red aren’t that great. But I didn’t realize there are two minis so that makes 4 red. Not bad. 

3 hours ago, weebaer said:

2 hours ago, Jedhead said:

Yeah, the ranged dice are fine, but the melee dice with ram and tenacity onboard makes them better suited to melee actions.

Thanks, with all the research I was still not sure if they were better at range or melee. I know they get the 7 actions and about going in and out of melee at will casue of creature, but I was not sure where all the killing came from lol.

10 hours ago, weebaer said:

They should only move and move as their activations each time because they get a free attack and 2 free dodges each time they do. 

So, on activation, they move into melee, get two free dodge tokens, preform a free melee attack, move out of melee, get two dodge tokens then preform a free ranged attack against the same target??

36 minutes ago, drail14me said:

So, on activation, they move into melee, get two free dodge tokens, preform a free melee attack, move out of melee, get two dodge tokens then preform a free ranged attack against the same target??

No, you can only do one attack action per activation. Also, if they do 2 move actions they will end up with 2 Dodge tokens, whereas you seem to have written they would get 4 somehow.

20 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

No, you can only do one attack action per activation. Also, if they do 2 move actions they will end up with 2 Dodge tokens, whereas you seem to have written they would get 4 somehow.

Thanks. Was trying to understand what weebaer had said. Guess I need to get mine painted and give them a try. 

11 hours ago, drail14me said:

That’s annoying!!!

So, I’m a new player and don’t quite understand what’s so great about Taintauns. Can someone explain?

Tauntauns are  just the spiffiest things in the OT, that's all. I've been waiting for rebel tauntaun troopers, in more than one pose, to hit a felt battlefield for decades. My squad of monopose metal ones are great but ultimately a bit dated, my assorted plastic pre-painted ones are nice but, the non-unique rebels are on a different base size than the Luke and Han, which is decidedly odd.

But now, we have a boxed squad of two paintable, differently posed, ordinary grunts. What could be better? I would take 3 squads if they cost too much actual money and had cost too many pretend points.

15 hours ago, weebaer said:

Tauntauns are really great but let's not forget death troopers and suppressive range 4 guns exist. Those can be the downfall of tauntauns quite quickly if mistakes are made.

3 hours ago, TheHoosh said:

Tauntauns are really great but let's not forget death troopers and suppressive range 4 guns exist. Those can be the downfall of tauntauns quite quickly if mistakes are made.

I think their in-game greatness is overrated, and people will get more practiced against them, and/or, get distracted by The Next Big New Thing. They're "very good" for what people are used to, but they aren't the power-creep they're made out to be.

I'm still gonna use them alllllll the time regardless.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

I think their in-game greatness is overrated, and people will get more practiced against them, and/or, get distracted by The Next Big New Thing. They're "very good" for what people are used to, but they aren't the power-creep they're made out to be.

I'm still gonna use them alllllll the time regardless.

That was always my issue though, I'm starting to see (anecdotally here) the stories of "the rest of the army clobbered me, but I got those tauntauns good!"

I'm still expecting them (to a lesser degree than I was, but still) to become the 1st edition biggs of legion

Edited by Ralgon

1 hour ago, Ralgon said:

That was always my issue though, I'm starting to see (anecdotally here) the stories of "the rest of the army clobbered me, but I got those tauntauns good!"

I'm still expecting them (to a lesser degree than I was, but still) to become the 1st edition biggs of legion

Well, regardless of how you feel about them they are definitely a build you have to be prepared to run up against at a tournament just now, but they are far from the only effective build just now Triple ATRT, triple bikes double tanks , double AT ST, even FD turrets although I still don't think double airspeeders will.be a thing quite yet (although it'd be fun to.play)

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I think their in-game greatness is overrated, and people will get more practiced against them, and/or, get distracted by The Next Big New Thing.

Spoken like someone who wants OP Tauntauns forever.

Or at least until Dewbacks release and everyone is distracted by TNBNT (aka Dewbacks. The Biggest. The Newest.)

I'll just leave this here as a reminder:

giphy.gif

You just lay down and rest, lil' tauntaun.

Posted (edited)
On 10/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, TheHoosh said:

BINGO. My 4 DT Veers/Krennic list eats them alive. 

Edited by Anaxander