Sign in to follow this  
Flrbb

Thoughts on the very final card pack

Everything has come to an end. At least so was the last saga box advertised. From a video interview we do know that also our beloved game has come to an end. Or at least to a pause.

So, I do have made some thoughts on the very last mission pack we will get. These I want to share with you.

Like the last mission of the LotR saga, the - game-wise - last mission has to have a climax. I think, thematically as well as for the game itself. The easiest solution would be a near-impossible to beat quest. So that the community needs some time to puzzle to solve it. (I did not played the last box of the saga, but everything I have read so far make me think that it has a special difficulty.)

Game-wise I do like this rise in difficulty, but personally I tend to be more like a casual player which bugs these things.

Anyhow, we also have the idea that the non-saga quests take place between Hobbit and LotR. So, story-wise a climax which is somewhat counter-productive to the good of middle earth and also might be a cause for triggering the happenings of the LotR saga would be fitting. At least so do I think. Something like that the last quest has to do bad (or at least questionable) things to win the mission.

As it would be somewhat stupid if heroes like Aragorn or Eowyn trigger these bad things, the last pack should contain a contract which focuses on the characters fantasy flight games invented, like forbidding all other characters which had an appearance in any of Tolkien's books. This contract could also focus on making this last and very difficult mission a bit easier. So in the end this would please players like me. :)

Sigh. What a nice thought. Don't you think?

I really wonder what they can do for the final quest, as it has to be special. Hoping for something crazy like an encounter deck that has most memorable cards from the history of the game. Or a quest that allows you to to browse your collection as opposed to your deck as a mechanic. Something to celebrate the history of the game. The same goes for the contract, "The Road goes on and on" which doesnt allow your deck to play a single quest and count is as a victory, but you need to finish 3 in succession with threat and damage staying, paying homage to old expert mode, giving the player a bonus like "Every time a quest card is revealed, you may a hero you control a resource and reduce your threat by 1.".

3 minutes ago, Flrbb said:

There was an old expert mode? xD

yes, it's still in the rulebook, nobody just uses it anymore since it was just about the original core set quests, in the core set only times people played it

I think the final quest of the last Shadow in the East AP should be thematically big, but I don't want to see some sort of awful nightmarish misery to slog through.  For players trying their best to take particular characters/decks through the story, it would be sort of a letdown to have to scrap those parties and tech against the final quest with a silver-bullet style of building.

I'm all for those sorts of challenges, but they're probably best served in something like Nightmare Packs and special quest sets.  Why not one final "special event deck," like the Wizard's Quest from Gencon2018, that features that sort of stuff (nightmare encounter deck's greatest hits) for players to puzzle over for ages to come?

Would love to see all of the strongest foes and treachery cards throughout time makena one off appearance instead of the usual x3. Super diverse and evil encounter deck full of Sauron's worst. And locations could just have one in play at a time as you battle your way against the hordes of Mordor.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, Flrbb said:

From a video interview we do know that also our beloved game has come to an end. Or at least to a pause.

Which video interview, and where can I find it?

Thank you.

20 hours ago, Iranon said:

I used to say the final player card in the final pack should be a hobbit event titled "Well, I'm Back."

Now I think instead it should be the first player card in the first new box after the relaunch!

Words cannot express the joy . . . So here, have a like! :P

Edited by Wandalf the Gizzard
-

21 hours ago, Iranon said:

I used to say the final player card in the final pack should be a hobbit event titled "Well, I'm Back."

Now I think instead it should be the first player card in the first new box after the relaunch!

Does remind me of Pink Floyd's Isn't this where we came in? :D

14 hours ago, BillK62 said:

Which video interview, and where can I find it?

Thank you.

Search this forum for FFG AMA with Andrew Navarro. The information about LotR is quite short, starts at 15:15, I think