Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

New Thrawn Trilogy 2020

3 hours ago, Scrivner said:

Since there are several EU readers in this thread, I'd like to ask:

For someone who hasn't read anything beyond the original Thrawn trilogy, what would be your top few EU novel recommendations?

Sometimes standalone books are fun. I read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and although it's kind of crazy and over there top, it had some good parts. Mmm... nevermind. Maybe just go to the library and read the first chapter. The first chapter is fantastic! I wish the rest of the book was that good.

Seriously, anybody who reads this, go find the first chapter of this book. Rogue Squadron vs. TIE defenders. So fun!

3 hours ago, Cr0aker said:

Timothy Zahn wrote other Star Wars novels. Read those.   Not per se the best, but Dave Wolvertine, independently a great sci-fi author, courtship of Princess Leia.   the Han Solo series by Brian Daley.  HECK anything by Brian Daley

I found The Courtship of Princess Leia to be quite cringey. It has some good parts, but to me, the main characters were our beloved heroes in name only. Han was especially out of character. But I do like recommending standalone books, so it may be worth a read.

58 minutes ago, Scrivner said:

Thanks for the feedback on the book recommendations so far. I forgot to mention that awhile back I had my eye on the X-Wing Series by Michael Stackpole. It seems like maybe I had heard people enjoyed those. Any thoughts on that series?

I read the series twice. Some of them three times. If you're going to read Wraith Squadron, read them after Stackpole's books. Not only does this follow the chronology (Wraith Squadron is books 5-7 of the X-wing series), but it also saves the best for last - if you like humor. I hear some people don't like humor in their Star Wars.

After re-reading the Stackpole books as an adult, I realized that the characters kind of all talk the same way, but I really like the stories. Like, a lot. Aaron Alston leans into the humor a bit more, and the characters are also a little deeper, which is why I like those so much. The whole series is good.

10 hours ago, Scrivner said:

For someone who hasn't read anything beyond the original Thrawn trilogy, what would be your top few EU novel recommendations?

Read Aaron Allstons stuff. His X-Wing novels are fantastic and he even made the Vong work in the Rebel Dream/Rebel Stand duology. They're in the middle of on-going series but it you don't have to read the rest. That would mean reading Stackpole and yikes - friends don't let friends read Stackpole. Allston was great at setting up the situation so you don't miss out on anything.

Frankly I found the Thrawn trilogy disappointing - Zahn isn't exactly a revelation. His characters are almost entirely unlikeable and bland and the dialogue is rough.

17 minutes ago, DatonKallandor said:

friends don't let friends read Stackpole

Harsh. I find Stackpole's writing very similar to that of Allston, it's a lighter read, will never be a classic, but fun. The difference between them is I found Allston was able to really get you to care about characters, particularly characters you wouldn't normally even like. I never really found that level of attachment to the characters in Stackpole's writing (both this universe and Battletech - sadly have not sampled anything original by him yet.) I don't recommend Rogue Squadron by Stackpole any more, but it's certainly not the worst out there and not on any "stay away" lists.

20 minutes ago, DatonKallandor said:

Frankly I found the Thrawn trilogy disappointing - Zahn isn't exactly a revelation. His characters are almost entirely unlikeable and bland and the dialogue is rough.

Thrawn trilogy - I assume this is the newer books, and not Heir to the Empire?

I like Zahn's writing, both in Star Wars and his original works, but I'll definitely agree that the first of the new Thrawn books is not his best work. It's choppy, due to the handling of the massive time jumps, and most of the characters are quite evil and unlikeable. I haven't got more than a chapter into the second book yet, I've been kind of busy...

Dialogue being rough? I'm actually a believer that dialogue should be rough on occasion, depending on character and scenario - conversation is not polished literature. Conversation is rough.

4 minutes ago, DatonKallandor said:

I mean Zahn's big constantly recommended original Thrawn trilogy. Joruus Clone and everything.

Yeah, and I’ve heard reviews similar to yours. I think this one comes down to preference in writing style 

On 11/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

Studiously attentive readers will note the subtle insignia of a Chimaera woven into the shadows. Curious if this could mean anything...

😛

I just figured he was standing on top of a very small, dark Star Destroyer. 

On 1/13/2020 at 1:08 AM, pickirk01 said:

Crystal Star provides the same effect, in fact, it makes Darksaber seem a master piece.

Ugh.  Even as a kid I remember thinking Crystal Star was unbearably bad. 

On 1/13/2020 at 10:29 AM, Darth Meanie said:

Sure, but,

*yawn*

That whole space scene is just a "Where's Waldo" of everyone else's ideas.

I could have sworn I saw a Suncrusher in there.

17 hours ago, Scrivner said:

Thanks for the feedback on the book recommendations so far. I forgot to mention that awhile back I had my eye on the X-Wing Series by Michael Stackpole. It seems like maybe I had heard people enjoyed those. Any thoughts on that series?

I really enjoyed the X-Wing series.  Just don't get the audiobook.  The versions I found, at least, were all abridged, and usually it was the funniest parts that were chopped.

8 hours ago, DatonKallandor said:

That would mean reading Stackpole and yikes - friends don't let friends read Stackpole.

But he gave us Ooryl!

8 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Harsh. I find Stackpole's writing very similar to that of Allston, it's a lighter read, will never be a classic, but fun. The difference between them is I found Allston was able to really get you to care about characters, particularly characters you wouldn't normally even like. I never really found that level of attachment to the characters in Stackpole's writing (both this universe and Battletech - sadly have not sampled anything original by him yet.) I don't recommend Rogue Squadron by Stackpole any more, but it's certainly not the worst out there and not on any "stay away" lists.

Stackpole's writing style tends to center on one or two power characters with minorish flaws and their universe altering actions. There is a fair bit of Deus Ex Machina in how he deals with threats to his power characters in his writing, so I can understand those that don't like his style. Frankly he's a good read for those that don't mind a 1980's G.I. Joe style in Star Wars or BattleTech just to unwind while reading.

Edited by Hiemfire

21 hours ago, Scrivner said:

I really enjoyed the X-Wing series.  Not so much for the writing or even the plots, but because we get to meet other heroes.  The Galaxy is at war.  There are more than just 7 or 8 heroes/villains.  Its being fought in countless sectors on thousands of worlds and each of those battles has heroes.  That's why Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars product since 1983.

Kevin J Anderson does okay stories but he takes the first 5-10 chapters recapping the history of the Galaxy and his previous stories in case you forgot the last book he wrote, which is possible since they are not that memorable.  Hmm, I guess he knows what he is doing.

Edited by pickirk01

11 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Really excited about this.  But I still REALLY wish the original Thrawn trilogy would get adapted into nucanon in some fashion.

IF (big if) the rumors on what they plan on doing with Thrawn and several other characters is true then I can forgive them for not including him in major major politics/war. Makes all the books being so limited make sense as well and even offer two new factions as well!

On 1/14/2020 at 8:41 AM, Cr0aker said:

It was a broken universe with an authoritative central government (and so, evil) where the hero needs 3 movies of development..  to still get his **** whooped and needs Daddy to save him.

I would suggest you watch Return of the Jedi again. After Vader suggested turning Leia to the dark side if Luke could not be turned...Luke stepped out of the shadows with a ferocity that beat Vader. Then, he took a huge gamble in throwing down his lightsaber to turn his father back to the lightside.

If you see it as he gets his *** whooped...you are interpreting the events very different from how most of us see it.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HawkZ71 said:

I would suggest you watch Return of the Jedi again. After Vader suggested turning Leia to the dark side if Luke could not be turned...Luke stepped out of the shadows with a ferocity that beat Vader. Then, he took a huge gamble in throwing down his lightsaber to turn his father back to the lightside.

If you see it as he gets his *** whooped...you are interpreting the events very different from how most of us see it.

What actually happened is Vader's taunting and naming of his sister caused Luke to forget his Jedi training and lash out with pure emotion and anger, giving him the upper hand (pun intended) against his foe but almost causing his own fall to the dark side.

He was on the verge of winning the battle, but losing the war.

When he realised this, he threw down his weapon, and was left  helpless when the Emperor showed him the true power of the Dark Side.

Leading to him getting his a** whooped and Daddy saving him.

Edited by FTS Gecko

13 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

IF (big if) the rumors on what they plan on doing with Thrawn and several other characters is true then I can forgive them for not including him in major major politics/war. Makes all the books being so limited make sense as well and even offer two new factions as well!

Not familiar with the rumors.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I saw something that an actor to play a live-action Thrawn is being sought. This would combine with rumors regarding "resetting" the sequel era via the world between worlds time travel device from "Rebels." This accompanies rumors that Kennedy will not have her contract renewed and that she will be leaving and starting her own production company. There were also rumors that Kennedy was banned from the season 2 Mandalorian set. That's the gossip. 

My own Logic regarding these rumors suggests a spinoff from Mandalorian with Ahsoka and probably Sabine showing up in Mandalorian while on their quest to find Ezra. They locate Ezra and probably Thrawn in their own show. My logic for the premise of the show being Thrawn seeking the time travel device in order to save or restore The Empire while Ezra, Sabine, and Ahsoka attempt to prevent that or some vice-versa thing where the heroes see the future and want to stop the fall of The New Republic. Somebody "wins" (or they both lose?) and in doing so do away with the sequel trilogy. 

Edited by Frimmel

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

I saw something that an actor to play a live-action Thrawn is being sought. This would combine with rumors regarding "resetting" the sequel era via the world between worlds time travel device from "Rebels." This accompanies rumors that Kennedy will not have her contract renewed and that she will be leaving and starting her own production company. There were also rumors that Kennedy was banned from the season 2 Mandalorian set. That's the gossip. 

My own Logic regarding these rumors suggests a spinoff from Mandalorian with Ahsoka and probably Sabine showing up in Mandalorian while on their quest to find Ezra. They locate Ezra and probably Thrawn in their own show. My logic for the premise of the show being Thrawn seeking the time travel device in order to save or restore The Empire while Ezra, Sabine, and Ahsoka attempt to prevent that or some vice-versa thing where the heroes see the future and want to stop the fall of The New Republic. Somebody "wins" (or they both lose?) and in doing so do away with the sequel trilogy. 

As much as I would like to move on from the sequels, this whole time travelling reeks of star trek. Is good on star trek, not so on star wars.

23 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

As much as I would like to move on from the sequels, this whole time travelling reeks of star trek. Is good on star trek, not so on star wars.

I think they are in a bit of a bind with Mandalorian and wanting to do other stuff closer to Ep. VI and trying to fit it into the mess and incoherent premise of TFA. They have to either just ignore the ST, fast forward well away into the future from it, or nullify it somehow. Mandalorian and the animated shows seem to be the only things that are broadly liked or at least don't have fans being disagreeable to each other about. I'll take the time-travel over having to twist stuff up to fit into that lazy mess of TFA. Especially if it fixes the thing I despise the most about the ST. 

And I thought Mandalorian's first season suffered a great deal from its efforts to just sort of blow-off the broader situation. There was a whole bunch about the bounty system and such that was really strained and underdeveloped for me. Not so strained as to be unwatchable. There was a lot to like but the show was very precariously perched on a knife-edge of its own and TFA's making for me. 

7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

The most consistent (or believable) rumors I have seen (taken with a huge grain of salt) is that we are getting a sequel to Rebels that takes place in the unknown regions. Or more precisely in Chiss space as our heroes  fight the powerful Vong Grysk.

This works out in a few ways (combination of rumors and speculation:

• Allows Sabine, Ezra, Ahsoka, Rex, and Thrawn to continue to be major players in a huge war without messing with the New Republic. Also allows characters/stories to jump around as need be between the series.
  • Makes the Zahn's book make more sense since they were all about setting up both the Chiss/Grysk conflict and showing how major of a threat this new unknown power is.
  • Mando season 2 rumors (seems super confirmed this part) that Rex, Ahsoka, and Sabine are passing thought in an episode. Which lines up with how the new series would start with those three l.
  • Greatly opens up a new part of Star Wars that is not touched by the PT or the ST hate. (Of course this is the Star Wars fandom and a lot of people really hate how Gary Stu Thrawn is)

Now all of this could easily be fake and just bad management by Disney as well. Thrawn books could be so restricted by Disney afraid to mess up canon. As well as Ahsoka and the rest being left to hang for Obi-wan and Cassian shows.

37 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:
2 hours ago, Frimmel said:

Yaaaaaaaaaa those rumors came from from an untrustworthy site and the video was angry YouTube clickbate....................... I am impressed that they still are going for the Star Wars fans when The Last of Us 2 has just come out, but money is money. 

The idea personally sounds like a PR nightmare with how convoluted they are. Hidden scenes in 9 that Abrams may not know about (killing the movie within the movie), the final episodes of Rebels plot, a reboot movie franchise, and Kennedy finally thrown out of power. Who would risk that? Maybe they "save the franchise" or maybe they just piss off literally everyone?