Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

New Thrawn Trilogy 2020

wxlg5ar0lkq31.jpg

"Journey to the Unknown Regions and learn more about the origins of Thrawn and the Chiss Ascendancy."

The Ascendancy Trilogy by Timothy Zahn starting in May 2020.

(Thrawn Prequel Trilogy)

uqsd8l3btn951.jpg

Thrawn: Chaos Rising official poster by Jeremy Wilson for Barnes & Noble Edition 

bfofz9rde8f51.jpg

Thrawn Ascendancy Book 1 Dramatis Personae

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Just now, Flyingbrick said:

I am interested in how good this will turn out.

This work will be scrutinized, and will be telling how much a draw Thrawn is independent of The Saga timeline.  

Zahn has to create a distinct and new spin/feel to that Region of space.   I’m sure there will be some EU easter eggs. 

It may well be a measure on how far Disney can stretch thier Star Wars investiture from the more well known established parts of the license.

8 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

This work will be scrutinized, and will be telling how much a draw Thrawn is independent of The Saga timeline. 

Now it was Zahn who got me into the Star Wars EU to begin with.

The only books I have purchased since the Disney acquisition have been by Zahn.

It will probably sell a lot better than the first in the thrawn trilogy where he was forced to tie in Rebels cartoon characters.  Most of the people I know who read that, hated those characters shallowness but loved the original or his created characters.

This is the author who breathed new life into Star Wars with the release of Heir to the Empire. I always loved how his original Source notes were the D6 source books and how much he references those in his writing 🙂

Edited by Cr0aker

6 minutes ago, Cr0aker said:

This is the author who breathed new life into Star Wars with the release of Heir to the Empire. I always loved how his original Source notes were the D6 source books and how much he references those in his writing 

At thier request,  West End Games sent his publisher a lot of our published material.   We were immensely happy to see InterdictorsStrike Cruisers, Carracks, Scimitars, COMPNOR, a host of Aliens and planets we created, show up in his books!   It felt like The Star Wars Galaxy came together for us.

I’m sure the FFG team felt the same way when the Raider Class Corvette started appearing in other media.

8 hours ago, Cr0aker said:

This is the author who breathed new life into Star Wars with the release of Heir to the Empire.

He certainly did.  However, I revisited the books recently and was disappointed in them.  The ideas and themes are much better than the writing conveying them.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:07 PM, Cr0aker said:

As long as he isn't forced to tie into any 789 stuff, should be good.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was his caveat, with the mouse  trying desperately to legitimize the current mess. Hence a prequel.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE SNORT GRUNT GRUMBLE HNGRH ARGH

DISNEY BAD

On 10/4/2019 at 5:07 PM, Cr0aker said:

As long as he isn't forced to tie into any 789 stuff, should be good.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was his caveat, with the mouse  trying desperately to legitimize the current mess. Hence a prequel.

Yes, I'm sure that Disney's big plan to get their billion-dollar multimedia franchise on track is through paper books sold in 2019.

Edited by PhantomFO

On 10/6/2019 at 12:55 AM, Captain Lackwit said:

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE SNORT GRUNT GRUMBLE HNGRH ARGH

DISNEY BAD

7 = bad.  7 = Disney + $$$$$$$$

Rogue One = Good to Very Good.  = Disney + $$$$

8 = Very  Bad.  8 = Disney + $$$$$$

Solo = Decent, maybe Good.  = Disney + $$

9 + Guy Who ENDED LOST = !!PANIC!!

Disney = Bad?!?!?!  Your words.

1 hour ago, Cr0aker said:

7 = bad.  7 = Disney + $$$$$$$$

Rogue One = Good to Very Good.  = Disney + $$$$

8 = Very  Bad.  8 = Disney + $$$$$$

Solo = Decent, maybe Good.  = Disney + $$

9 + Guy Who ENDED LOST = !!PANIC!!

Disney = Bad?!?!?!  Your words.

This is the saddest attempt.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

On 10/5/2019 at 2:12 AM, Sasajak said:

He certainly did.  However, I revisited the books recently and was disappointed in them.  The ideas and themes are much better than the writing conveying them.

I had this exact feeling. And weirdly, I have started to dislike Mara Jade. And when I started to put it into words, I was like "this is what people are saying about Rey..." 

On 10/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

At thier request,  West End Games sent his publisher a lot of our published material.   We were immensely happy to see InterdictorsStrike Cruisers, Carracks, Scimitars, COMPNOR, a host of Aliens and planets we created, show up in his books!   It felt like The Star Wars Galaxy came together for us.

I’m sure the FFG team felt the same way when the Raider Class Corvette started appearing in other media.

That’s really cool. I always thought it was the opposite, that Timothy Zahn came up with all that stuff and West End Games consulted with him when creating the RPG. The fact that it was the other way around is awesome. :)

On 10/5/2019 at 2:12 AM, Sasajak said:

Go back and reread The Darksaber. You'll find the old Zahn trilogy quite wonderful again.

For those who have read my recaps of the D6 RPG played with my nieces and nephews in the off topic forum, I recently purchased for them the thrawn trilogy for Christmas, each are reading in turn.  Star Wars as I knew it as a kid, continues into the next generation, spite the messed up current series and Disney.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Go back and reread The Darksaber. You'll find the old Zahn trilogy quite wonderful again.

Ughh.  My teeth hurt reading that book even then.   And I was cordial with the author.   He phoned that in.

Ughh.

It was a smaller print run, and while I did not like the main rivals for the New Republic,  I did like The Black Fleet Crisis as well.

A great series for an Armada player.