Ronu

Admiral Sloane

So looking for thoughts and possible list ideas for Sloane. Looks effective enough and can punish some aces but how to really get the most out of her?

Edited by Ronu
Cause I realized I spelled Sloane wrong

Now that her phantom slot is gone, on a Deci with TIE friends (typically fighters, but V1's or any variant moderately spammable are good). You could punish linked actions, or if you demote the deci to fit either version of Vader (on Major Vermiel typically), 000 adds even more value (but that strategy is only viable in games in excess of 200 pt. Maybe for epic?). Definitely take debris. Death troopers reaaaaaaally pull some mileage if you decide to squeeze them (and the deci has 3 crew slots now). Bugs don't like her, especially when Fac accidentally 1-punches an academy pilot. It was hilarious and glorious. BUT Y NO HST LEGAL?????!!!!!

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z216XWW14W27WWWWY229XY229XY229XY229XY229X&sn=New Squadron&obs=

Can't use her in HST anytime soon, so that's contributing to my temporary riding the JM5K hipster train. Summoning @pyoinator, since he's steamrolled me everytime he used Sloan.

PS1 Lambda shuttle Sloan + 6 ties is solid. a few points for flavour on the shuttle. You can get Tua and  a hull upgrade, or Collision detector and a Shield upgrade. both are solid options, I fly the ties in 2 wings for the pincer. They will go for the shuttle first so just reinforce. 

A friend was having fun with Lambda + Sloan, 4 Academy TIEs and Soontir.  Witch looks fun and incredible playable. 

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

If you want a fast, tough, fairly elusive ride for the Admiral, Captain Feroph and Ruthless isn't a bad pick. That leaves enough points for a good block of expendables - 6 Academy Pilots or 4 Planetary Sentinels.

How would 3 Interceptors and 2 Ties with Sloan work I wonder? Obviously the sentinels have a bit tougher skin but trade that for agility.,,

I've been running this to some good success:

Planetary Sentinel (34)    
Ship total: 34  Half Points: 17  Threshold: 2    

Planetary Sentinel (34)    

Planetary Sentinel (34)    

Scarif Base Pilot (41)    
    Death Troopers (6)    

Ship total: 47  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 4    

Scarif Base Pilot (41)    
    Admiral Sloane (9)    

Ship total: 50  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 4    

Total: 199

3 hours ago, Ronu said:

How would 3 Interceptors and 2 Ties with Sloan work I wonder? Obviously the sentinels have a bit tougher skin but trade that for agility.,,

It's more about being able to keep up with the Reaper. If you've not flown one much, it's really shocking how fast that thing moves, especially in turns.

Interceptors and basic TIE/ln are probably a better call if, as @MasterShake2 suggests, you've put her in a Lamba shuttle.

Many Options: 

#########################################

Omicron Group Pilot — Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle    43
Admiral Sloane    9
Ship Total: 52
Half Points: 26 Threshold: 5

Planetary Sentinel — TIE/sk Striker    34
Ship Total: 34
Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Academy Pilot — TIE/ln Fighter    23
Ship Total: 23
Half Points: 12 Threshold: 2

Lieutenant Sai — Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle    47
Admiral Sloane    9
Ship Total: 56
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 5

“Duchess” — TIE/sk Striker    42
Ship Total: 42
Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Rear Admiral Chiraneau — VT-49 Decimator    76
Admiral Sloane    9
Death Troopers    6
Ship Total: 91
Half Points: 46 Threshold: 8

“Howlrunner” — TIE/ln Fighter    40
Ship Total: 40
Half Points: 20 Threshold: 2

Captain Kagi — Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle    48
Admiral Sloane    9
Ship Total: 57
Half Points: 29 Threshold: 5

“Whisper” — TIE/ph Phantom    57
Passive Sensors    3
Fifth Brother    9
Ship Total: 69
Half Points: 35 Threshold: 3

Scimitar Squadron Pilot — TIE/sa Bomber    29
Barrage Rockets    8
Ship Total: 37
Half Points: 19 Threshold: 3

Scimitar Squadron Pilot — TIE/sa Bomber    29
Barrage Rockets    8
Ship Total: 37
Half Points: 19 Threshold: 3

Admiral Sloane    9

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor    53
Predator    2
Ship Total: 55
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 2

Imdaar Test Pilot — TIE/ph Phantom    44
Ship Total: 44
Half Points: 22 Threshold: 3

There's a local (for certain definitions of Local... 2h drive :P ) who flies a lot of Sloane Interceptors.  He's settled into Reapers as the Sloane carrier, since they have the speed to keep up with them.  Same logic would apply to Strikers.  I think he'd gone with Tarkin as the 2nd crew last tournament (and Targeting Computer, necessarily).

//

I'm sure few folks would have the actual ships, but how would Sloane with 4 Reapers do?  4 Scarif Base Pilots, one Sloane, one Death Troopers, one Seventh Sister, one Emperor Palpatine.  Seems like a nasty little squad.

//

22 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Admiral Sloane    9

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor    53
Predator    2
Ship Total: 55
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 2

I'd probably go Sai (match Phantom Init, plus bonus actions), but it seems like a fun premise.

I wonder... Could Sloane work well with Jendon/Inquisitors? 16 points to play with starting from Jendon + 3 Conc/FCS Inquisitors, alas 1 point short from upgrading one to The Grand Inquisitor.

I'm a big fan of 3 dice guns when using sloane. Alpha interceptors, planetary sentinels, even a reaper with death troopers is a solid threat. 2 reapers, 1 with sloane and 1 with death troopers, and 3 planetary sentinels fits at 199, and actually seems like a blast to fly. If I had that many reapers and strikers I might have to give that a go! Though probably a lambda or a decimator is the best place for Sloane at the moment. I used to love flying her in a phantom in the finger five formation, but no longer. Without and endgame piece, unless you fly a 4 ship "ace" list, you need to control your engagement and ensure you kill stuff as quick as possible. 

EDIT: Should've read the thread lol, squad I mentioned is exaclty the one @Whippoorwills suggested

Edited by pyoinator

I’ve been considering testing out  Sloan squads as well. Was planning on starting with this build. 

(43) Omicron Group Pilot [Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle]
(9) Admiral Sloane

(34) Alpha Squadron Pilot [TIE Interceptor]

(23) Academy Pilot [TIE/ln Fighter]

(23) Academy Pilot [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 200

Here's the "Darthimator" list I've been using her with:

VT-49 Decimator - Patrol Leader - 107
    Patrol Leader - (68)
        •Darth Vader (14)
        •0-0-0 (5)
        •Admiral Sloane (9)
        Proximity Mines (6)
        Shield Upgrade (3)
        •BT-1 (2)

TIE/ln Fighter - Academy Pilot - 23
    Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Academy Pilot - (23)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Problem with Sloane is: a smart enemy will kill the Sloane carrier first. Having Vader and Proximity mines makes that costly, and most people can't resist swatting an Academy Pilot even though they know they shouldn't...

I have a strong hunch that whatever final form the Sloane Swarm takes, it will also include Death Troopers.

Now someone needs to crack the caddy/filler combo for this thing and watch the stress rain down at Worlds 2019...

42 minutes ago, Ronu said:

How crazy would it be to pair Sloan with Ree?

A bit difficult. Ree requires a dedicated coordinator to be fully leveraged. And whereas Sloan encourages a lot of ships/miniswarm, Ree wants to bring a nasty single piece or two back into the fight sooner. Ree is insane with Duchess, who typically has to cycle again before flanking, letting the target escape for a turn in many cases. With Ree (after a flank) Duchess can br, rotate, ailerons, clear stress, and lock with targeting computer for full mods with 5th bro on board at range 1. 

I experimented with Sloane early in 2.0 and I'm tempted to try again once the local Hyperspace Trial's over with this:

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 56 Omicron Group Pilot - (43) •Admiral Sloane (9) Shield Upgrade (4) TIE/in Interceptor - Alpha Squadron Pilot - 34 Alpha Squadron Pilot - (34) TIE/in Interceptor - Alpha Squadron Pilot - 34 Alpha Squadron Pilot - (34) TIE/in Interceptor - Alpha Squadron Pilot - 34 Alpha Squadron Pilot - (34) TIE/ln Fighter - •“Howlrunner” - 40 •“Howlrunner” - Obsidian Leader (40) Total: 198/200 View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

My reasoning is, firstly, that opponents try to kill Sloane first, and a basic Lambda is one of the most survivable (relative to cost) Imperial crew carriers thanks to that reinforce action. Decimators are way more expensive, a Reaper with Feroph pilot could work but seems hard to leverage the speed defensively without getting out of range of the fighters.

Secondly, I think that a Sloane squad should have good damage output to punish enemies focusing on Sloane. Howlrunner + 3 Interceptors can put out some heavy damage; normally they would be too fragile for their cost, but Sloane means that's not so bad a problem.

Unfortunately, the problem with Sloane is that she's great against low ship count lists, but poor against swarms, because a triple-ace list is really hurt by taking double-stress on one of them, but a swarm doesn't so much. This is a weakness in a meta where massive vulture swarms are popular - they'll cheerfully pay the price of double-stressing a vulture to remove one of your ships, or just overwhelm the Sloane carrier with volume of fire then mop up.

So another thought. Sloane with 7th sister? Sloane assigns stress 7th turns one into a tractor possibly throwing the ship into a kill box or at the very least weakening it for the retaliation shots with a squad of 6 Academy pilots.

2 hours ago, Ronu said:

So another thought. Sloane with 7th sister? Sloane assigns stress 7th turns one into a tractor possibly throwing the ship into a kill box or at the very least weakening it for the retaliation shots with a squad of 6 Academy pilots.

Sev works really cool with stress-tricks, like Sloane (theoretical for me, since I haven't put Sloan/Sev on the table, but I did suggest that in the above 4-reaper list ;) ), but also 0-0-0.  That's a potentially nasty surprise.

Edited by theBitterFig

Hmm two other thoughts Sloane with a Shuttle a PS1 Defender and 3 Academy Ties. Also saw I could do jank like Sloane in Shuttle w/ 2 I2 Aggressors with dorsal turrets and 3 Academy Ties.

Edited by Ronu
Forget PS is gone now...

So been flying this a good bit the last 3 weeks. Even in a few different configurations. Some initial thoughts I am seeing.

Sloane on average is about 50-56 points for the ship she is on and that’s fairly consistent. Obviously the Decimator is more. That leaves 144 points to fill with.

3 Academy TIE’s is 69 points. 6 total can be worked into a normal list.

Most ships get a 2/3 Exchange rate. So 2 Strikers for 3 L/N’s ect.

Sloane’s magic number looks to be 5.5 ships total in a list for optimization. 7 being her cap. This leaves little room for upgrades so choices can feel tougher. 

Go with my "Inferno Sistas" list: Captain Ferroph with Sloane and 7th Sista, then add the four Ties of the Inferno Squad. Finally decorate all with Crack shots (Seyn with marksmanship). The reaper is juicy and survivable enough, that your inferno squad has enough time to kill anything on the board.

Play Epic.

Outer Rim Garrison (60)
Ion Cannon Battery (6)
Seventh Sister (9)
Ciena Ree (6)

Outer Rim Patrol (150)
Turbolaser Battery (15)
Admiral Sloane (9)
Tibanna Reserves (3)
Instigator (6)

“Howlrunner” (40)
Swarm Tactics (4)

Iden Versio (40)

Gideon Hask (30)

“Wampa” (30)

“Mauler” Mithel (32)

Seyn Marana (30)

Del Meeko (30)
Total: 500

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

On 10/4/2019 at 12:35 AM, Ronu said:

So looking for thoughts and possible list ideas for Sloane. Looks effective enough and can punish some aces but how to really get the most out of her?

Putting her on a Raider is quite good.  The Raider likes to get stuck in.  Having an Ordnance Raider usually means you are close to the action and Sloan should be close enough to affect Epic fights.  Lots of ships to blow up.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:09 AM, Darth Meanie said:

Flowers and chocolate usually works.

That, sir, is incredibly funny.  Thank you.