Sign in to follow this  
Whippoorwills

[Empire] Oicunn and two inquisitors

I've been toying around a bit with Oicunn and two inquisitors. They idea is to bump with Oicunn and shoot with him and the rest of the list. I've done decent with it, won 3 out of 4 games but I'm not sure what do equip Oicunn with. I've tried with Seventh sister and Veteran Gunner but it seems like 0-0-0 and Seventh Sister harmonies very well.

Any suggestions?

Captain Oicunn (74)    
    Intimidation (3)    
    Darth Vader (14)    
    Seventh Sister (9)    
    0-0-0 (5)    
    Tactical Scrambler (2)    
    Dauntless (4)    

Ship total: 111  Half Points: 56  Threshold: 8    

Inquisitor (35)    
    Instinctive Aim (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Cluster Missiles (5)    

Ship total: 43  Half Points: 22  Threshold: 2    

Inquisitor (35)    
    Instinctive Aim (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Cluster Missiles (5)    

Ship total: 43  Half Points: 22  Threshold: 2    

Total: 197

I would drop whatever you can to get SNR on the Inquisitors. Preferably Concussion missiles as well, they're almost invincible, focus and evading at R3, with anything other than atrocious dice. Out there in a safe spot, they can hurt, rather than tickle things. Makes them incredibly flexible.

Would also mean you don't give up quite so many points when Oicunn gets halved.

Edit. Second thoughts, Concs may be evil to Oicunn, maybe stick with Clusters :D

Edited by Cuz05

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Preferably Concussion missiles as well

See I keep hearing this and I get the logic, but at the same time with so much blue on the TAP's dial being speed 1 Cluster's have always felt better so that they can be in knife-fighting range, outmanoeuvring things in tight arcs and still laying on the ordnance.

To be fair getting range 3 missile shots without committing to going into close range next turn, is a skill I need to practice!

1 hour ago, PartridgeKing said:

See I keep hearing this and I get the logic, but at the same time with so much blue on the TAP's dial being speed 1 Cluster's have always felt better so that they can be in knife-fighting range, outmanoeuvring things in tight arcs and still laying on the ordnance.

To be fair getting range 3 missile shots without committing to going into close range next turn, is a skill I need to practice!

I've run them both ways and you're right, the Clusters can have really good utility, especially seeing as you can single mod both shots with a Super. Decent bonus attacks can do a lot of work.

Another angle on them is that it'll often get your opponent to spread in order to avoid the bonus attack. Whether that's a good or a bad thing really depends on all sorts of things though.

But they are situational, the Clusters. Against aces in particular, they can be rendered useless. They'll often arc dodge you at R1 or 2, so having that R3 threat from Concs is enormous. No range bonus is such a big plus over R2 Clusters, it's even better than a standard primary.

The flip side, dealing with swarmy lists, where you'd expect Clusters to be more worth it, is that the R1/2 requirement encourages risky positioning. Being able to ping them from R3, keeping some out of range and evading what isn't, is a generally safe bet. Since they'll often not have shields, the splash from a couple of mid game Concs can really mess them up as well.

Either can work, but Concs are so much more widely useful, you'll never really regret not having Clusters. I always miss Concs.

I go slow, crab sideways and wait for the R3 focus + lock. Or I'll look to skim past, so I can get a lock before actually engaging at R3, perhaps on a different target from the one approaching. Then I'll close to R1 or 2 for a turn (or few), naturally. 

However, I'll often need to zoom one away to a safer position, where he'll turn short and get another R3 engage. If the other isn't dead already, he'll then do the same. 

Sometimes I split them up straight away, so that one runs and the other fires missiles. It's kind of a goofy mistake to make, but the temptation to give up on the runner and go for the other one is too much sometimes. Then they're just tag team cowards, pinging and slinging it. A couple of my lists will give up hardly any points at all if that happens.

At least, that's kind of the plan, it's easier to make it up as I go along and hope for the best :D

Early on, I did have a number of games where I spent hardly any charges. That's much rarer now, but it did take a little time to adjust, from playing them without missiles. 

Edited by Cuz05

Played against a Decimator this week with two Inquisitors. Tie\ln Swarm poped this beast in two rounds without suffering much of return fire itself. It is a bit safer when facing Aces, I think. Being in the arc of 6 Tie\ln-s that all go shoot before you is not too fun. I would do a few things...

1. Captain Oicunn (Decimator): Intimidation, Darth Vader, 0-0-0, Informant, Dauntless
  2. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced V1): Sense, Fire-Control System, Homing Missiles/Cluster Missiles
  3. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced V1): Sense, Fire-Control System, Homing Missiles/Cluster Missiles

This gives you information about the whole 3 ace list, of what they are doing. You can react to it as you see fit and abuse that knowledge to avoid arcs with the V1s as well as line yourself for blocks with the Decimator. Concussion Missiles are risky, as you could potentially hit your Decimator and force him to reveal a card. I dropped Seventh Sister as she wasn't bringing anything useful to the table really. A bit of an overkill with Vader, 0-0-0 and Sister together on one ship. Especially one worth over 100 points. Those points can melt super fast and then you have to chase and be aggressive.

For reference, Academy Pilot, Iden Versio, Del Meeko, Gideon Hask, Seyn Maranna and Howlrunner dealt 7 damage to the Decimator on turn one. 9 on turn two as I made it bump and not be able to take Reinforce. Player used Vader once. That is why I left out Tactical Scrambler from the build. 3 Agility is a lot on Inquisitors.

If I were to field an Intimidation Blocker and Inquisitors, I would go with a 195 total:

1. Captain Feroph (Tie Reaper): Intimidation, Darth Vader, 0-0-0
  2. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced V1): Fire-Control System, Cluster Missiles
  3. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced V1): Fire-Control System, Cluster Missiles
  4. Inquisitor (Tie Advanced V1): Fire-Control System, Cluster Missiles