Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SamWeiss

Investigator Traits

Recommended Posts

With all the investigators now available, it is becoming possible to make teams built around trait "themes", like Team Misktatonic or Team Law and Order or Team Criminal and the like. Only Team Drifter and Team Performer can field a full team of 4 at the moment, others can get close. So here is a list of the currently available Investigators and their traits for anyone who wants to indulge the craziness, or at least just have a look at who and what is available.

Symbols
^ = Investigator is available in a Novella and not a campaign set.
* = Investigator has another trait. (2 total)
** = Investigator has two other traits. (3 total)

Investigators

by Trait

Agency
Roland Banks*

Artist
Sefina Rousseau

 

Assistant
Mandy Thompson*
Minh Thi Phan

 

Believer
Father Mateo*
Zoey Samaras*

 

Criminal
“Skids” O’Toole
Finn Edwards
Tony Morgan*

 

Cultist
Diana Stanley*

 

Cursed
Calvin Wright*
Patrice Hathaway*

 

Detective
Joe Diamond
Roland Banks*

Dreamer
Luke Robinson**

 

Drifter
“Ashcan” Pete
Calvin Wright*
Jenny Barnes
Luke Robinson**
Silas Marsh^
Wendy Adams

 

Hunter
Tony Morgan*
Zoey Samaras*

 

Medic
Carolyn Fern

 

Miskatonic
Daisy Walker
Norman Withers^
Rita Young

 

Performer
Jim Culver
Lola Hayes
Marie Lambeau
Patrice Hathaway*

 

Police
Tommy Muldoon*

Reporter
Rex Murphy

 

Scholar
Mandy Thompson*

 

Silver Twilight
Diana Stanley*
Preston Fairmont*

 

Socialite
Preston Fairmont*

 

Sorcerer
Agnes Baker
Akachi Onyele
Marie Lambeau*

 

Veteran
Leo Anderson*
Mark Harrigan

 

Warden
Father Mateo*
Tommy Muldoon*
William Yorick

 

Wayfarer
Leo Anderson*
Luke Robinson**
Ursula Downs

 

Investigators by Class

Guardian
Carolyn Fern                            Medic
Leo Anderson                          Veteran, Wayfarer
Mark Harrigan                         Veteran
Roland Banks                          Agency, Detective
Tommy Muldoon                    Police, Warden
Zoey Samaras                         Believer, Hunter

 

Mystic
Agnes Baker                            Sorcerer
Akachi Onyele                         Sorcerer
Diana Stanley                          Cultist, Silver Twilight
Father Mateo                          Believer, Warden
Jim Culver                               Performer
Luke Robinson                         Dreamer, Drifter, Wayfarer
Marie Lambeau                      Performer, Sorcerer

 

Rogue
"Skids" O'Toole                       Criminal
Finn Edwards                           Criminal
Jenny Barnes                           Drifter
Preston Fairmont                    Silver Twilight, Socialite
Sefina Rousseau                      Artist
Tony Morgan                          Criminal, Hunter

 

Seeker
Daisy Walker                           Miskatonic
Joe Diamond                           Detective
Mandy Thompson                   Assistant, Scholar
Minh Thi Phan                         Assistant
Norman Withers^                   Miskatonic
Rex Murphy                             Reporter
Ursula Downs                          Wayfarer

Survivor
"Ashcan" Pete                         Drifter
Calvin Wright                          Cursed, Drifter
Rita Young                               Miskatonic
Patrice Hathaway                    Cursed, Performer
Silas Marsh^                            Drifter
Wendy Adams                         Drifter
William Yorick                         Warden

 

Neutral
Lola Hayes                               Performer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the Cursed trait was introduced in The Forgotten Age, which must be the only reason that Rex missed out on it. I propose that for thematic purposes Rex Murphy be considered an honorary Cursed investigator.

I can just imagine a campaign log one day saying: 'choose this option only if an investigator has the Cursed trait or the text "no Fortune cards" appears in an investigator's Deckbuilding Restrictions.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allonym said:

If we're being honest, a lot of the investigator traits are pretty arbitrary, and several investigators are "missing" traits that logically should apply to them.

I agree. And I thought about doing additional commentary on each Trait to note such things, but that would require a lot more work, and I did not want to spam 10 posts of infodump until I checked to see if anyone even cared about the subject.

I  also checked for player cards that shared these Traits while reviewing this, and I noticed a few peculiarities there as well. For example, Handcuffs have the Police Trait. The Police Badge does not. Even though the Police Trait was used on the Beat Cop in the Core Set along with the Police Badge.

So like with Rex who is cursed but not Cursed, they may need some other quirky text to account for "missing" Traits on Player Cards at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the same story as the LOTR LCG. Early on there was a lot of weirdness with traits. There's a single card with the "Archer" keyword (none of the other cards who obviously use bows, from Legolas to Haldír to Galadhon Archers, had the keyword and there is zero support for it). Denethor gets the "Steward" trait, which doesn't do anything. Dain Ironfoot doesn't have the Noble keyword despite literally being a king. And so on.

There's not been much in the way of keyword support so far in the game (and unlike LOTR it's far harder to create keyword support due to the nature of the game) so I think it's probably best to see it as a bit of a curiosity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allonym said:

It's the same story as the LOTR LCG. Early on there was a lot of weirdness with traits. There's a single card with the "Archer" keyword (none of the other cards who obviously use bows, from Legolas to Haldír to Galadhon Archers, had the keyword and there is zero support for it). Denethor gets the "Steward" trait, which doesn't do anything. Dain Ironfoot doesn't have the Noble keyword despite literally being a king. And so on.

There's not been much in the way of keyword support so far in the game (and unlike LOTR it's far harder to create keyword support due to the nature of the game) so I think it's probably best to see it as a bit of a curiosity.

I noticed that in LTOR too and I felt it played a little flat, maybe partly because of that. 
But the way this game plays with its versatility and  layers, traits have a lot of untapped potential. I hope they continue to tap into them more and develop them more fully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dysartes said:

Aside from Rex picking up Cursed, which characters do people think are missing existing traits? 

I could see an argument for Jenny gaining Socialite, for example.

Logically, William Yorick should be a Performer, Carolyn Fern should be a Dreamer, Mark Harrigan should be a Hunter, Finn Edwards and Silas Marsh should be Wayfarers, Norman Withers and Ursula Downs should be Scholars, Daisy Walker should either be a Scholar or an Assistant depending on how you interpret her role as a librarian (probably Scholar).

It would also make sense to merge Performer and Artist into just Artist, and to merge Miskatonic into Scholar unless they change Wilson Richards' backstory or something (all investigators associated with the Miskatonic University are scholarly). Unless they want to bring out some more in-depth trait synergy, like an ally you get a discount for if you are Miskatonic-traited, but the traits as they are seem haphazard enough that such mechanics probably wouldn't work too well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dysartes said:

Aside from Rex picking up Cursed, which characters do people think are missing existing traits? 

I could see an argument for Jenny gaining Socialite, for example.

I can understand Rex not having Cursed. I mean, he is cursed, but that's represented by him having a Curse in his deck. His curse is that he's unlucky. Patrice's curse is that she's got a stalkery fan who happens to be an inescapable five-dimensional horror. Calvin's curse is that he's sold his soul to Nyarlathotep and might or might not be a reanimated corpse. Like, there are curses and there are Curses, y'know?

Jenny getting Socialite is a pretty obvious one, though. I guess you could counter-argue that she's young and hasn't established herself yet, but she'd probably have gotten that trait if it existed back in Dunwich.

2 hours ago, Allonym said:

Logically, William Yorick should be a Performer, Carolyn Fern should be a Dreamer, Mark Harrigan should be a Hunter, Finn Edwards and Silas Marsh should be Wayfarers, Norman Withers and Ursula Downs should be Scholars, Daisy Walker should either be a Scholar or an Assistant depending on how you interpret her role as a librarian (probably Scholar).

It would also make sense to merge Performer and Artist into just Artist, and to merge Miskatonic into Scholar unless they change Wilson Richards' backstory or something (all investigators associated with the Miskatonic University are scholarly). Unless they want to bring out some more in-depth trait synergy, like an ally you get a discount for if you are Miskatonic-traited, but the traits as they are seem haphazard enough that such mechanics probably wouldn't work too well.

  • Does Yorick actually have an acting job? He's classically trained, but it's not his main form of income or anything. Makes sense that he doesn't have the Performer trait since he hasn't actually broken into that social milieu. Besides, Performer was introduced in his cycle, so I doubt they just overlooked him.
  • Carolyn Fern has some experience with the Dreamlands, but she's far from an expert dreamer.
  • The Hunter trait predates Mark, so it's probably deliberate that he doesn't have it. I think it's because Zoey and Tony have specific targets they're tracking down, while Mark mostly goes goes out looking for trouble.
  • Wayfarer seems to be about exploring uncharted regions. Finn and Silas don't really do that.
  • Miskatonic and Scholar can't really be merged, because there are Miskatonic characters who aren't scholars of arcane lore (Rita, Kate, Amanda), and vice-versa (Agatha).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

 

  • Does Yorick actually have an acting job? He's classically trained, but it's not his main form of income or anything. Makes sense that he doesn't have the Performer trait since he hasn't actually broken into that social milieu. Besides, Performer was introduced in his cycle, so I doubt they just overlooked him.
  • Carolyn Fern has some experience with the Dreamlands, but she's far from an expert dreamer.
  • The Hunter trait predates Mark, so it's probably deliberate that he doesn't have it. I think it's because Zoey and Tony have specific targets they're tracking down, while Mark mostly goes goes out looking for trouble.
  • Wayfarer seems to be about exploring uncharted regions. Finn and Silas don't really do that.
  • Miskatonic and Scholar can't really be merged, because there are Miskatonic characters who aren't scholars of arcane lore (Rita, Kate, Amanda), and vice-versa (Agatha).

Perhaps I was unclear.

My point is not "FFG screwed up in the traits given to those investigators and here's how they should fix it!"; one could argue the minutiae or come up with justifictions (what is the measure of a dreamer?). My point is instead that the traits and their delineations are somewhat arbitrary and the purpose and reasoning behind the traits is unclear.

I could counterargue all of those points, but the reality is that neither of us would be right or wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Allonym said, musing about "errata" is all well and good, but the cards are what they are.

As I said, I made the list to set up themes, and while it revealed some "peculiarities" that we can muse on endlessly, it was for building peculiar teams.

Maybe FFG will do that - add Ultimatums and Achievements based on Traits.
"Complete Return to The Dunwich Legacy with all Wayfarers"
"Investigators may not use cards, including Investigators, with the Police trait"

For that matter, maybe some players will make up a bunch. Like those. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, with all this discussion about traits as we were re-playing The Essex County Express last night. In the intro it says that we decided against going to the police with our story, so I kind of said it seemed funny to have Beat Cop in my deck!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Funny, with all this discussion about traits as we were re-playing The Essex County Express last night. In the intro it says that we decided against going to the police with our story, so I kind of said it seemed funny to have Beat Cop in my deck!! 

Now imagine playing it with Tommy Muldoon  and Roland Banks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know! Our first time through Dunwich when we only had the core set cards and the cards as they were coming out in Dunwich, my husband was Roland Banks and I was Daisy. I remember at that juncture, Roland startlingly revealed that the Arkham Police Dept had some dirty cops and he didn’t trust them.
Even as newbies we were trying to work around the traits!! 

What about Duke or Guard Dog in Ulthar?             “Any canine ally in Ulthar is immediately exhausted and doesn’t refresh until leaving Ulthar, as they will be chasing (or are being chased by) cats during your stay.” 

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...