Sign in to follow this  
rsdockery

Dream Eaters player cards

My post is up. One odd thing about this deluxe is that it doesn't really include any big, build-defining cards (except maybe Solemn Vow). For those part, it's a deluxe that you buy for the investigators (who, granted, are very cool). If you need a "winner" defined, I'd probably go with Mystics. No particular loser, though the Survivor Myriad's a bit lackluster.

I really like the survivor myriad card. But there aren’t very solid clue-nabbers in survivors yet. Once you have 2 in the discard you can use resourceful on the last copy to snag 3 clues a couple of times. I’m using it on Patrice but you have to have other skills to commit because her int is only 2.

Edited by Soakman

I really want to like Fortuitous Discovery. It's a really cool idea with amazingly cool art. I tried it out on Patrice and...it never got used, not even once.

A survivor who is also a clue-gatherer is one of the last obvious crossover niches we haven't had yet, and one I would love to see get some love (I'd particularly like one with the ability to transfer clues to other players and/or benefit from dropping clues, to make good use of Newspaper (2), Quick Study et al.). We have our amazing spellcaster Survivor now, after all! Maybe that'll end up being Amanda Sharpe, The Student?

Yeah Patrice isn’t the best fit because of the low intelligence but I managed to use it twice to decent effect on par with winging it. It makes a great target for her violin and cornered once you have it. I don’t really mind it taking 3 slots in Patrice either.  Would have been nice if Patrice had even one more int to put her on par with Wendy. You need wilds in her to make up for all the willpower pips from mystic cards and perseverance to even make it remotely likely that you’ll succeed the test though. Good thing there are rtto and last chances.

Edited by Soakman

I put Fortuitous Discovery in Mandy and it was very effective considering how easily she could search cards and draw cards.  Also she had Blood Rite in her deck and easily fetched it with a Research Librarian (as well as Mr. Rook).  So I was throwing cards away at a reasonable rate.  In that deck Astounding Revelation did alot of work.  Mandy seems like the best investigator to support a "Secrets" deck.  I plan on putting Pnakotic Manuscripts in there when I get the XP for it.

I haven't tried it in Patrice.  While she cycles through her deck quickly, her int is pretty poor.  I think it will be a better Wendy card.

Edited by phillos

Of the three options for Mandy, I've only seen Rogue chosen and I'd go that way any day. She gets so much out of Easy Mark, Slip Away, Decoy, "You Handle This One!" and "I'm Outta Here!".

I don't know.  I've been really liking reliably having things like Lucky, Flare and Test Of Will in hand.  That said I do agree Rogue has alot of obviously useful cards available for Mandy.  I didn't need the Easy Mark money in my deck, but if I had alot of pricey Rogue cards I might.  I'm not sure I have any good ideas on how to build her as a Mystic though who can argue against things like Arcane Ward and Deny Existence being great boons for any deck. 

I am hoping she'll get more support as the cycle goes on.   That said even in my current Seeker/ Survivor deck she was a monster investigator and she greatly helped the other players search their deck.  Also there was plenty in faction to pursue.  So I wouldn't say she was waiting for anything to feel like a functional investigator.  I could take no out of faction cards in Mandy and I'd still feel like she was a worthy choice.  That said I couldn't see making a Mandy deck without Mr. Rook.  Also I don't see alot of reason to take the option of making her deck bigger.  There's nothing I could do in a 50 card deck that I couldn't do in a 30 card deck IMO.

3 hours ago, Allonym said:

Of the three options for Mandy, I've only seen Rogue chosen and I'd go that way any day. She gets so much out of Easy Mark, Slip Away, Decoy, "You Handle This One!" and "I'm Outta Here!".

I picked Slip Away, "You Handle This One!", Sleight of Hand (to reliably get out Fingerprint Kit and Old Book of Lore), Think on Your Feet, and "You Owe Me One!".

So yes, I agree that rogue seems like the best fit for Mandy. I'm not sold on an asset-less mystic, or a high-intellect survivor. 

A larger deck has merit in conjunction with the Research events. Particularly because I think it's a safe bet we'll see more than one. With how much she can search her deck and how little dependency she has on any one card aside from like, getting Mr Rook asap, I actually am coming around to the idea that 40 cards is generally the best choice for her - at least with what I've seen thus far.

1 hour ago, CSerpent said:

I've built a 40-card Mystic Multiplayer Mandy with 2 Delves, 2 Denies, 3 Open Gates, and 2 Wards.  I'm still honing it, but I'm mostly happy with it.

Open Gate being fast, thinning her deck, and also in tandem with the class with pathfinder access and shortcuts does have some merit if you want to fast track other investigators around the map and save actions.

I started with a rogue secondary with her, but ended up with 40 cards/Mystic. More level one cards and it’s hard to say no to ways of canceling encounter cards.  She’s teamed with Tommy. I went kind of broad with her mystic cards. The obvious two Ward of Protections and Deny Existences with Blinding Light, Eldtritch Inspiration, Storm of Spirits, a couple of Open Gates and Enraptured for Mr Rook. She played very well overall, but I am not sure her deck is quite there yet. 

Edited by Mimi61

9 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I started with a rogue secondary with her, but ended up with 40 cards/Mystic. More level one cards and it’s hard to say no to ways of canceling encounter cards.  She’s teamed with Tommy. I went kind of broad with her mystic cards. The obvious two Ward of Protections and Deny Existences with Blinding Light, Eldtritch Inspiration, Storm of Spirits, a couple of Open Gates and Enraptured for Mr Rook. She played very well overall, but I am not sure her deck is quite there yet. 

I'm also pairing her with a Guardian, on the waking side.  I was going to do Zoey, since I haven't played her in a while.  But I'm also considering Tommy.  He seems Leo-like, thematically (all allies die!), plus I like the red cards.

I'm considering Blinding Light.  I had Enraptured, but I'm also using Astounding Revelation, so I'm hoping that will keep Rook happy.

With five Research cards, she should be hitting them pretty reliably.

Edited by CSerpent

8 hours ago, CSerpent said:

With five Research cards, she should be hitting them pretty reliably.

I ended up with 7 search cards including Calling in Favors. Of course Mr Rook and Old Book of Lore which give multiple opportunities. Which is why I went with a 40 card deck. She also has Truth from Fiction to keep Mr Rook happy for now and hopefully Strange Solutions later. So search opportunities are thick on the ground for any investigator at her location, which is pretty awesome! 

Hungering blade:   Hm.  Well,  this suffers from the same problem I have with a lot of these low-xp guardian weapons....  if I'm going to spend XP on a weapon,  then I generally want a big one.  Could be useful on Yorrick because it's hard for him to get a weapon that does more than +1 damage,   where Hungering Blade with a spent Bloodlust can deal 3.   Cheap for him too (XP wise), and one-handed,  all good things for him.  The limit of 1 per deck does sort of stink though,   but he still has  a chance to summon it with Prepared for the Worst.   Diana is also a nice pair here,  since she has enough sanity to absorb some of the horror, if need be.    Diana also often has a little trouble getting to the point where she has a reasonable willpower,  so an early Hungering blade gives her a nice reliable weapon that she can use her combat skill on before she ultimately makes the switch over to spells.  But Diana can also take .45 Automatic and Enchanted Blade for 0 xp,  so this might not make the grade.    Tough call.    Anyway, I don't think this probably goes on a primary guardian, unless you are just really strapped for XP,   or really want a melee weapon.    It is cheaper in terms of XP than Machete if you are using Taboo list, so thats something,   but I rarely include machete anymore.

Solemn Vow:  I admit I was pretty down on this card until I read rsdockery's post concerning some interesting combos.  It's pretty good on anyone who can take Peter Sylvestre.  You could maybe use this +another horror soak card to protect the Key of Ys on a teammate, if you weren't using Taboo list  (or even if you were, but probably not including a Key in a taboo game).  It has some interesting possibilities.  But I think this is certainly a combo piece,  at face value it's not all that impressive.  

Segment of Onyx/Pendant of the Queen   I'm not really sold here.  For as much trouble as you go through to try to get this,  the payoff just doesnt seem that impressive to me.   Seekers dont generally have problems getting clues,   so while 3 quick action clue finds is nice...   that's 3 actions that are laregly offset by the time it takes to draw all 3 pieces and the 3 resource cost for playing all 3 pieces (3 cost together).  So if you're not using it for clues,  what are you using it for?   Teleportation effect is nice,  but you probably dont need that a whole lot.   Many seekers have access to Elusive, or Astral Travel, which performs the same function.... and this is the class with Pathfinder and Esoteric Atlas, so movement options are available.   3 auto-evades does sound useful,   but by the time you get this set up, your slayers probably have set up too, and they can likely protect you.   Or you could be running something like Guiding Stones instead.   I just feel like in every case,  Seekers have  a better option at their fingertips.    Maybe the advantage is that this compresses all of these useful things into one card,   but still... it takes the valuable amulet slot,   I'm just not seeing it.   

Astounding Revelation    It's good.    Especially if you are going for some sort of big secret build, with Pnakotic Manuscripts or Ancient Stone.  Otherwise, hard to say no to free resources.  looks pretty good on daisy.   It is kind of a melon if you happen to draw it,   or worse,  have it in your opening hand after a mulligan.  

Crystalizer of Dreams this card takes a bit of thinking.  Skids might like this, as he likes the Service cards very much, and On the Lam also has some very nice icons.   Sefina is stacked with events anyway, so she may as well.   

Easy Mark  One of the things I do like about this cycle is the little carrots we get for search-focused characters.  Even if Daisy or Mandy isnt probably running Easy Mark themselves,   having these researchers on the team makes cards like Easy mark much more tempting.    I really like this card,   it's a wonderful little economy boost and its nice and cheap compared to something like Hot Streak.   Feels nice if you happen to have the double easy mark in the opening hand,  or if you draw a second Easy Mark when you play your first Easy Mark.   This is a great card for just about anyone who can take it.

Stargazing  Ah yes.   I first got introduced to this general concept in LotR lcg with Ranger of the North,   who was basically an ally that hid in the encounter deck until he felt like showing up.    The card was really good.    Ranger of the North also had Surge.   So when I noticed that The Stars are Right doesnt have surge,   I sort of had to pick my jaw up off the floor.  Although you do have to be careful with things like the Witch encounter sets that like to discard cards from the Mythos deck...   if you get this to fire,  it's absolutely amazing.  In a 2 player game,  this is auto-include territory.   It doesnt scale as well with more players,   but it's still very powerful and well worth taking.  

Open Gate  What is there to say here?   It's either so powerful it feels broken, or it's not very useful at all.  Havent got my hands on the pack just yet, so I admit I am a little fuzzy on how Myriad works.    Is this a possible Adaptable pick for Jenny or Sefina?   If so, that could be very strong.

Miss Doyle/Cats  Looks really nice on Calvin since his stats are so poor at the beginning,  he can use that boost.  Otherwise it's hard to imagine that I'm not running Peter Sylvestre, Aquinnah, or somebody else instead.   I don't like that the first cat you get is random.   You should get to pick.

Fortuitous Discovery  I mean.. on Wendy though.    If she gets her third copy,  or even her second... she could just keep on playing it,   especially if you were doing the Wendy's Amulet/Crystalizer of Dreams thing.   And yeah,   there have been several times when I have been playing an investigate-y survivor and have really wanted 5 investigation events.   I would completely run this alongside Winging it.  

9 hours ago, awp832 said:

.   It is kind of a melon if you happen to draw it,   or worse,  have it in your opening hand after a mulligan.  

Which is exactly what happened to me the first time it went into a deck. My draw after a mulligan. Sigh  

On 10/3/2019 at 8:28 AM, awp832 said:

Astounding Revelation  ...  It is kind of a melon if you happen to draw it,   or worse,  have it in your opening hand after a mulligan.  

15 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Which is exactly what happened to me the first time it went into a deck. My draw after a mulligan. Sigh  

Same.  This hadn't occurred to me until my first play of Waking Nightmare last night, when I mulliganed into a copy of AR and one of Occult Evidence.

Edited by CSerpent

I really like Solemn Vow, it should help a lot in setting Calvin Wright and I might finally test him. 

I just have a question about Fortuitous Discovery and the interraction with double double, as I'm currently doing a preston deck around events. Does the event is in the discard when doubled?

36 minutes ago, vindoq said:

I just have a question about Fortuitous Discovery and the interraction with double double, as I'm currently doing a preston deck around events. Does the event is in the discard when doubled?

It is, but that doesn't matter, because FD specifies "other copies."

20 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

4 hours ago, CSerpent said:

Same.  This hadn't occurred to me until my first play of Waking Nightmare last night, when I mulliganed into a copy of AR and one of Occult Evidence.

I guess that may be a reason you might want a 40 or 50 deck? Less chance to mulligan into a copy...

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

I guess that may be a reason you might want a 40 or 50 deck? Less chance to mulligan into a copy...

What a bummer. Mulligans can be such a two edged sword. 
Yeah, and in a 30 deck with 8-9 search cards, it’s almost 1/3 of the deck. What are you going to search for...another search card? 40 makes it possible to “replace” the search cards for cards to search for!

Edited by Mimi61

5 hours ago, CSerpent said:
21 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Bummer! Mulligans are a sometimes a two edged sword...that was both edges unfortunately. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:28 AM, awp832 said:

Segment of Onyx/Pendant of the Queen   I'm not really sold here.  For as much trouble as you go through to try to get this,  the payoff just doesnt seem that impressive to me.   Seekers dont generally have problems getting clues,   so while 3 quick action clue finds is nice...   that's 3 actions that are laregly offset by the time it takes to draw all 3 pieces and the 3 resource cost for playing all 3 pieces (3 cost together)

I think this a solid card just for the clue pick up. Its below the resource to clue cost line with no conditionals (the game seems to value a clue at exactly 2 resources played fast). For three resources you're getting 3 clues, the equivalent of three level one cards at 6 resource combined resource cost for the negligible cost of exactly 1 xp. None of which are discarded once used, it all gets shuffled back in the deck. A seeker digging through their deck fast enough like Mandy might is likely to see it hit more than once for added value. Every thing else it does is a situational bonus in my book.

Perhaps my final favorite thing about it is that it supports the janky level three barricade deck concept as another card that can pick up clues from across the board. Stationary seeker deck ho!

I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree.   From my perspective,  while 2 resources for a clue (fast) might be the cost in other cards,   such as Working a Hunch,   those are all 0 xp cards, where this is 1.  I feel that's not insignificant.   Working a hunch is also online as soon as you draw it,   you do not have to wait for all 3 pieces.    Though I've had only a relatively few number of games with Mandy at the table so far,   I have yet to see Mandy get through her deck.    I have yet to see her "touch" the bottom of her deck with a search either.  This was 40 card mandy.   In other words, she doesnt go through her deck nearly as fast as you think.   And that's the end of the game,  you need all 3 pieces assembled before the end of the game,  ideally a minimum of 3 turns before the end of the game, so you can spend the 1/turn charges.   If you have dreams of shuffling the pieces back in and playing them out again (good luck!  You'll need it),    you need to assemble the pendant the first time many turns earlier than that.  

But if you're going to use Working a Hunch as a baseline,   there's a bigger problem with that.   Working a Hunch itself is not really a card that you want to include in seeker either, unless that Seeker is Joe (because of the Hunch deck).   A 5 Intellect seeker like Mandy ought to be able to get a clue with 1 action almost all of the time,  so why bother on cards like Working a Hunch at all?   Working a Hunch is more for Joe, and for people who are taking Seeker cards off class, like Roland, for example.      Hence the crux of the issue.  Mandy has 5 intellect,   and the other best pendant assembler is Daisy, who also has 5 intellect.   By the time you have successfully searched for and paid for all 3 pieces of the pendant,  I feel that Daisy or Mandy using the basic investigate action could have already gotten 3 clues easily.