RyantheFett

Look at the new ships First Order/Resistance (somewhat spoilery??)

3 hours ago, dsul413 said:

Well we got those bombers out there too...

bombers.jpg

This is the direction they should have taken instead of so many iterations of the same standard TIE Fighter... even if it still makes sense to have iterations with little changes we are talking about science fiction here... What works best IMO is to have ships for different roles with distinctive shapes. I belive the only reason we got TIEs like the SF or wishper is because they don't care that much about world building anymore (since the worls its already well sold on people) and they are only the means to tell a story :(

Edited by Andreu

8 hours ago, dsul413 said:

The first variants of the P-51 hit the field in 1942. The F-15A first flew in 1972, 30 years later. Then, 34 years later, the F-35 flies its first flight in 2006. If we just look at the aircraft exterior, no one would think that the time differences between these aircraft are the same.

We don't see drastic changes in flight tech across the Star Wars universe, mostly just aesthetic changes. Tactics, doctrine, etc. could easily be the difference in fighter design.

On the flip-side the first variants of the B-52 hit the field in 1952, and that airframe is still flying today, 67 years later.

For that matter, the first variants of the F-22 Raptor hit the field in 1997 - 22 years ago. The F-35 isn't much of a departure in appearance from the F-22 (not a surprise, given that they have the same designers), and even that has been in service for 13 years.

The period from WWII through the Cold War was the most rapid set of changes in miltary aircraft (which also coincided with the advent of the jet engine and supersonic flight). Since then, things have slowed down considerably. Even setting aside the fact that we're talking about a purely fictional universe, it could easily be argued that the Star Wars universe had its rapid set of changes occur between the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War, and following the surrender of the Empire, there was an extended period of relative peace that translated to a slowdown in the development of military spacecraft. It's actually quite comparable.

1 hour ago, Freeptop said:

On the flip-side the first variants of the B-52 hit the field in 1952, and that airframe is still flying today, 67 years later.

For that matter, the first variants of the F-22 Raptor hit the field in 1997 - 22 years ago. The F-35 isn't much of a departure in appearance from the F-22 (not a surprise, given that they have the same designers), and even that has been in service for 13 years.

The period from WWII through the Cold War was the most rapid set of changes in miltary aircraft (which also coincided with the advent of the jet engine and supersonic flight). Since then, things have slowed down considerably. Even setting aside the fact that we're talking about a purely fictional universe, it could easily be argued that the Star Wars universe had its rapid set of changes occur between the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War, and following the surrender of the Empire, there was an extended period of relative peace that translated to a slowdown in the development of military spacecraft. It's actually quite comparable.

We are actually saying the same thing, which is good - we saw rapid early development and now we are in refinement for fighter aircraft. There is no reason to think the Star Wars universe is in anything other than refining capabilities or matching those to doctrine and tactics.

I would go as far as to say that rapid changes were pre-Clone Wars and the tech for the time matched how the forces wanted to employ.

Edited by dsul413

On 9/27/2019 at 1:22 PM, SabineKey said:

So, according to this, the TIE Whisper is another standard wing TIE. Perhaps it’s specialized for use by the Knights of Ren?

I could totally see that being the case. I'm struggling to see how they can differentiate it from the TIE/SF. Being exclusive to the Knights of Ren could be one way to do it. Or perhaps, at long last, we'll see a Star Wars ship with a cloaking device? (It's possible one of the cartoons has already done this, but I'm not aware of it.)

1 minute ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

I could totally see that being the case. I'm struggling to see how they can differentiate it from the TIE/SF. Being exclusive to the Knights of Ren could be one way to do it. Or perhaps, at long last, we'll see a Star Wars ship with a cloaking device? (It's possible one of the cartoons has already done this, but I'm not aware of it.)

Not the TIE Whisper, but the T-85 X-Wings should have cloaking devices!

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/T-85_X-wing

On 9/30/2019 at 9:26 AM, dsul413 said:

I’ll take what we have over the EU TIEs that came out after the OT. Want to talk geometric shapes? These have shapes. 

Other than the Clawcraft, not a lot of elegant designs. I actually think something like the SF is an elegant evolution of the TIE/LN. the FO is derivative externally but the workshop book does a nice job of demonstrating the internal changes and it doesn’t bother me. The new designs may add to it, we shall see; the Silencer was a very elegant change to the TIE series.

Do we want designs that just “add to” the original designs? Do we want all fresh designs? But those can’t be different geometric shapes or they’re not complex enough? I’m not sure what the right answer is, but we as fandom ping across it so hard.

There is a stronger argument for the Resistance not adding much with the T-70 and RZ-2, but it also makes perfect sense in canon that those are updates to existing designs and are a little bit older. The T-85 was the significant design change for sure.

8CE5582B-A9E1-4777-9660-7C7D824A72F8.jpeg

oh i agree entirely. The thing of it for me is that the new trilogy ships seem like they were designed by cowards afraid to change anything in a bold way, who were also afraid of not having a new toy to sell. so instead of just saying "impeeial TIEs are cheap and effective. they havent changed" or "Rebels make do with outdated ships" they were like "everythings new!!! buy one now" but theyre all the same with like an extra antenna or some garbage. 

Really i'd love it if 70 year old Wedge was just flying a T-65 blowing up the first order like "back in my day you chumps didnt need edge-lord vampire colors on your ships. p.s. die"

9 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

NO THEY SHOULDN'T.

OH MY GOD.

WHY CAN'T ANYBODY TELL THAT'S JUST POE JOSHING AROUND!?

AARRGHH

Shhhhh! I've been waiting for the StealthX cloaked X-Wing for a long time... 

Anyway, the Resistance needs some different tricks, not just a T-70 with buffed stats.

Edited by Odanan