FFGMatt

FFG Live Star Wars™: X-Wing AMA Question Thread

Hi guys,

To what extent is the top-heavy distribution of pilot initiatives desired or considered an issue? From community gathered tournament data there are (in terms of raw numbers of ships used) more Initiative 5 pilots used than Initiative 4s, more I4s than I3s, more I3s than I2s and so on. This is despite lower initiative ships generally costing fewer points. Only I6 avoids this trend, presumably since they are costed at a premium and there aren't as many available. It seems like this is a trend that has persisted across the different metas for each wave since launch, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts about it.

Thanks!

Edited by apoapsis

will we ever see additional turret cards? a few ships (IE the Tie Agressor) a heavily built around them, but with only two options so far, they have not see much play.

Edited by Rickwilljames

On a basic level, the "core" of x-wing is front firing arcs with just a single action / reposition. 

When designing ships that "break" those rules - turrets, 180 degree arcs, "free" actions, etc - what considerations go into ensuring "standard" front arc ships still have interesting counterplay options?

Can you share any examples of ideas that weren't used because of lack of counterplay? Or ideas that were used, that were implemented specifically because they were found to increase counterplay?

Is this a major consideration during initial design, or is it something that is largely influenced by playtester feedback or controlled by end result points-costing?

1. When development on the Hotshots and Aces pack was started, how did you decide what ships would receive new pilots? 
  2. How likely are we to see another card pack like Hotshots and Aces? What is the priority for this? 
  3. Are the developers looking at including multi-pip pilots (like in the Vulture and Hyena expansions) to future expansions to allow for aggressively priced lower initiative pilots?  

Hey guys! I have to know, do you have any plans to introduce the LAAT Gunship? If so, are you at liberty to mention any of their abilities? With guns on literally every side, I'd imagine it might be a challenge to design. I could go on all day about my predictions or hopes for the ship, but I'll keep it brief for the sake of your time: for the beam weapons on the side, consider using a special weapon with 2 recurring charges. Both get spent to perform the attack, meaning you can only fire it every other turn. In-universe terms, that shows how it has to stop itself from overheating.

Thanks for reading my long post! Keep up the AMAZING work you guys!

Hello, I have several questions :

1) I would like to know more the processus of creation : What elements you have at disposition, how you decide what mecanic the ship will bring to the game ect...

2) I love squadron pack, can we expect to see more of them ?

3) What is your favorite pilot and why ?

Thanks for any answers you will bring during the live ! :)

Hello FFG designers!!

here are my questions: 

1) at the beginning of 2.0 we were introduced to the concept of “dark side” upgrades, yet to date we have only received 1, hate. Has the concept of having force powers to distinguish between light side and dark side users been abandoned or will we potentially see more  “dark side” upgrades in the future? If this is the case will there be any special way to define these upgrades outside of the app?

2) What has been the most fun ship to design in 2.0? Most challenging? (Out of currently released/teased ships).

3) what is your favorite type of pizza? (New York style, Chicago, etc.)

4) can you give us any spoilers  (pilot or configuration abilities) for Hotshots and aces? (I had to ask)

thank you for hosting an AMA!

Will we ever see story-based scenario campaigns? Like beefed-up versions of the ones that came with Huge Ships in 1.0? I love the way X-Wing plays but would love a way of playing with a bit more thematic coherence and narrative. Epic Battles sounds interesting but it doesn't seem like that's what it's trying to do.

Hello Developers,

I have three questions.

1. Why did you decide to omit the "fully" requirement to maneuvers on the ship/upgrade ability in wave 5 (C1-10P Astromech and the Nantex ship's Pinpoint Tractor Array) when you earlier talked to lengths about how important it was to fully execute maneuvers in X-Wing 2.0? Please explain why you think this is good for the game.

2. Moving forward, do you see Hyperspace and Extended tournament formats continuing being two separate formats and will a rotation of ships happen or will Hyperspace slowly merge into Extended?

3. With the release of the Mandalorian, more ships should be made available for the game especially for the Scum faction. Is there a possibility that Scum would be split up in factions based on time period as you did with Rebels/Resistance and Empire/First Order?

Thank you!

On 10/1/2019 at 7:44 AM, Squiggypie said:

Hey guys! I have to know, do you have any plans to introduce the LAAT Gunship? If so, are you at liberty to mention any of their abilities? With guns on literally every side, I'd imagine it might be a challenge to design. I could go on all day about my predictions or hopes for the ship, but I'll keep it brief for the sake of your time: for the beam weapons on the side, consider using a special weapon with 2 recurring charges. Both get spent to perform the attack, meaning you can only fire it every other turn. In-universe terms, that shows how it has to stop itself from overheating.

Thanks for reading my long post! Keep up the AMAZING work you guys!

They cant discuss potential upcoming products. 

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen anyone else ask, so what's up with the nantex and debris?  Can a nantex gain a tractor token, choose to reposition onto a debris, gain a stress, then not be able to rotate arc?  This despite the rule that you can't pay a cost (tractor token) for an effect you can't compete (now stressed and can't rotate arc).

Edited by Brunas

Among the wide variety of playstyles that balance changes try to empower, are two-ship builds an archetype that you aim to support? Or more of a naturally occurring phenomenon when ships are released into the field?

Some ships and upgrades have seen relatively little use consistently since the launch second edition. Is buffing less-played cards an explicit goal, or is lack of play itself considered lack of "proof" that buffs are justified?

The January points changes seemed much more wide-reaching than the July batch. Is this an indicator of the scale going forwards, an intentional alternation between changes, or just a happenstance of the state of the meta? Is the team happy with the pace of two changes per year?

What factors do you take into consideration when designing new pilot cards for existing ships? 

We've seen a lot of speculation about the new pilots, and it seems to revolve around what we think specific factions need or identify with. 

Would you consider adding an additional penalty to gas clouds?

Currently, the only cost for overlapping them is the loss of your Perform Action step, while granting greater benefits when obstructing shots (an additional die as well as the blank > evade conversion). Given that there are an increasing number of ships which can perform actions simply by executing/fully executing manoeuvres (TIE Defenders, N-1 Starfighters, Delta-7s, Nantex, anyone with Afterburners equipped), this isn't a strong penalty. It also allows for 'easy' swarm play, as with no risk of damage/risk of losing shots due to overlapping an asteroid a swarm can simply hold formation. You could, for instance, make the gas cloud block any actions being performed in that ship's activation (much in the same way that being ionized prevents them now). An alternative could be to have the cloud inflict a strain on the overlapping ship, making crossing the cloud carry a greater cost.

I really like the design elements for the next wave of ships, and am excited to get my hands on them, so I wanted to ask about how you initially start thinking about the chassis design for new ships. Do you typically start with something that feels thematic (like the Fireball chassis) and walk things back until they feel right, or do you more often start by trying to make it feel unique via dial / actions & linked / slots, then tinker with it by adding things (like chassis abilities) until it feels right? Is this easier or harder for more iconic ships? 

Where is the Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith Jedi ship? [ETA2 Interceptor] The best flying sequence in all of Star Wars featuring Anakin and Obi!

On a related note, where is  Anakin's best friend, Republic R2D2?

For the full lifespan of 2nd edition so far, I5 has been all over the meta. Will we see a wide-ranging increase to the costs of I5 pilots to make the I3-4 pilots more competitive? On the whole, I6 costing seems to be working well (with just a few exceptions; Vader, Soontir, Anakin), so would a similar but slightly smaller nerf keep pilots like Duchess, Plo, and Obi-Wan in line?

And can you speak to the costing between pilots (especially generics) within a given chassis? The jump in costs between one pilot and another almost seems like a total crapshoot in several places; for example, on the TIE Striker it's 4 points to go from I1 to I3, or 4 points to go from I3 to Duchess. Or as another example, the Scimitar Squadron pilot has always been used more than the Gamma Squadron Ace, yet at the last adjustment, the Scimitar was buffed and the Gamma was left alone, widening the gap instead of reducing it?

Additionally, very many of us were surprised by the decision not to buff the YT2400 in the last update. It's extremely hard to win with it, even in casual games, because you just can't fit anything good with it and it dies so fast. If you're really tracking tournament performance, how was it so entirely overlooked?