--JP

New FAQ up

15 minutes ago, --JP said:

Dream eater stuff already!

Nice catch!

On the Blob that Ate Everything:

(v1.6) The Blob That Ate Everything, resolutions section Resolution 3 should read "Resolution 2."

That one was a given.

On the Setup, however, are you supposed to place that last location card aside?  It says to place a certain amount, then another amount, then a final amount.  Then, it says to put the last card into play.  Surely (doubly if we consult the suggested starting setup image) this last location card should be set aside out-of-play or already eaten by the blob.

Double or Nothing and Drawing Thin both get an XP cost in the Taboo List now.  I think that was expected.  Springfield getting an XP discount also expected, but still not sure I'd bother taking it.  I like that it's the only card currently with an XP discount. 

I'm not  heartbroken about the changes though that's another Rogue card hit by the Taboo List.  Feels like they hate Rogues :)

Edited by phillos

I was hoping they'd answer the question about playing bonded cards out of another players deck with cards like "You Owe Me One!".  I don't think I've heard a consensus RAW answer on that one.  I have a question into them, but I'm sure that was submitted after this FAQ was finalized.

Edited by phillos

2 hours ago, phillos said:

Double or Nothing and Drawing Thin both get an XP cost in the Taboo List now.  I think that was expected.  Springfield getting an XP discount also expected, but still not sure I'd bother taking it.  I like that it's the only card currently with an XP discount. 

I'm not  heartbroken about the changes though that's another Rogue card hit by the Taboo List.  Feels like they hate Rogues :)

Three experience seems ludicrously harsh for Double or Nothing. It's perfectly fair for Drawing Thin (though I'd have preferred a mutation), but why for DoN?

2 hours ago, dysartes said:

Rats - I was hoping they'd clear up if you'd need to pay XP for the extra cards if you took Versatile...

Versatile has not technically been released yet, so there was no chance of it being there.

2 hours ago, phillos said:

I was hoping they'd answer the question about playing bonded cards out of another players deck with cards like "You Owe Me One!".  I don't think I've heard a consensus RAW answer on that one.  I have a question into them, but I'm sure that was submitted after this FAQ was finalized.

Yeah, that was a big one for me as well.

While DoN is strong, It is a defining card for rogues and I feel upping the xp punishes fun rogue card synergies that really help define the risk/reward nature of their cards. I understand that it does something that can be very powerful in certain circumstances but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Its moot though as I don’t use taboo rules anyway.

Edited by Soakman

It is interesting because it's not like I was adding DoN to every deck.  I don't know about other people.  I feel there's some broken combo I'm not aware of with things like Switch Blade and DoN on the Taboo List.  I had been following the Taboo List for the most part, but not when I play Rogues. They seem too heavy handed with their Rogue entries.  The Streetwise nerf is the only one I with which I agree.  Originally I was upset about that one too, but Rogues have way more to spend their money on now and those options are more interesting than paying into Streetwise every time.  For the most part I think they could have left Rogues alone on the Taboo List.

I was thinking what other cards could have used an XP discount.  I'd maybe be more inclined to play Song Of The Dead if it was 1 xp rather than 2.  I don't think I've ever played with that card in a deck.

Edited by phillos

Whelp, the deck I'm going to Return to Carcosa with in four hours is no longer taboo-compliant. I'm not going to change it -- and I might even upgrade a Switchblade for (gasp) two experience down the line!

Double or Nothing is one of my favorite cards in the game. It epitomizes the Rogue class, it always feels fun to play, and it's one those card with the perfect name. It is very powerful in the right situation and dead in your hand in the wrong situation. 

I never had the sense that Double or Nothing was overpowered but, to be fair, I do very, very frequently include it decks that can take it. The thing is that I choose to include it with the sense that it is not quite optimal -- just fun; it is weaker on higher difficulties too. 

But most importantly, Double or Nothing does not crowd other cards out of your deck. Unmutated Dr Milan, for instance, makes all other Seeker allies less appealing because you would rather have Milan in your ally slot; and to a lesser extent he makes other early game assets less appealing because you want to mulligan as aggressively as you can for Milan. Machete pushes other level zero weapons out of decks and into obscurity. Streetwise and Higher Education make other stat boosting talents irrelevant and other outlets for surplus resources unappealing. Double or Nothing, as far as I can see, has no such warping effect on deck building. Between the nerfs to Sleight of Hand, Double or Nothing, and maybe Elusive, the taboo list seems to take some fun out of the Rogue card pool.

For what it's worth, Double or Nothing is part of a broken combo. There is a Jenny deck that uses it with All In, Quick Thinking, Premonition, and "Watch This" to generate actions, generate resources, and loop the deck to do it again -- with the result that your turn never ends. Now that deck costs six more experience.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/11644/going-infinite-jenny-breaks-arkham-horror-1.0

My understanding is that the mutation to Quick Thinking makes the combo trickier to pull off but does not break it. 

In other news, playing Glimpse the Unthinkable with Laboratory Assistant in play draws you up to ten cards.

26 minutes ago, pixcalcis said:

It is strange that They added no clarifications concerning empty space in before the black throne.

Agreed.

I was really disappointed in the lack of important rules clarifications here too.   So many good questions that could have been cleared up....   but nothing except for an obvious misprint in Blob.   

Double-or-nothing with taboo list now has the singular distinction of being the only skill card that costs XP.    Woot.   I don't think DoN was so good to merit nerfing.   I hardly even ever take it anymore.   Shame,  because I might have started taking it again with Tony,   but probably not anymore that it is going to cost 3.

It's not a card I would have chosen for the list, but I believe it was the best Rogue weapon. I feel that this says more about the Rogue weapon pool than the Switchblade (2), but perhaps it is a design goal that Rogues have less powerful weapons and make up for it in other ways. 

Also, it seems like the designers wanted to move away from two damage weapons that don't consume ammo, charges, or some other finite resource. The worry about running out of ammo against an unknown or endless number of monsters is a staple of pulp-horror and I see why they would want it for Arkham.

yeah... i dont know what i was thinking there.    Maybe rogue skill,  but then there's opportunist.     Yeah,  fair to ignore that part,   brain lapse.

Edited by awp832

Buckle in.  I've got a question involving Terrible Secret, Deny Existence, and the FAQ section of the Keyforge Rulebook.

AHC29_15.jpgAHC29_32.jpg

The following comes to us from the Keyforge Rulebook:

“FOR EACH”

Some abilities include an effect that uses the term “for each” to determine the magnitude of the effect. Unless otherwise specified, a player may choose to affect a different card with each instance of such an effect.

Example: Shard of Pain reads “Play: Deal 1 damage to an enemy creature for each friendly Shard.” That damage may be distributed among multiple creatures.

Some abilities specify that a player must “choose a creature,” then do an effect to that creature using the term “for each.” Such abilities only affect a single creature.

Example: Red Planet Ray Gun reads “This creature gains, “Reap: Choose a creature. Deal 1 damage to that creature for each Mars creature in play.”” That damage must be dealt only to the chosen creature—it cannot be distributed among multiple creatures.

I know that Keyforge is a different game, however, the card game team has done a bang up job of making terms overlap across their franchises, so let's get into this.

Can Deny Existence ignore all of the horror Diana Stanley would take from Terrible Secret, or just 1?

My reading is that it would ignore all of it if you chose not to discard the cards under her. I assume the revelation effect in entirety cannot be canceled but as deny existence only ignores part of the effect I think it’s Fine to play. I don’t have a rules reference to cite but I believe the  horror is dealt as a total not individual hits of 1. You get to choose to discard or assign horror for each card, but it is dealt together.

Edited by Soakman

Yeah, it works, you can ignore all of it: Matt has said as much, too, as recorded here https://arkhamdb.com/card/05015

Reason why? I suspect you say 'I have 5 cards under me, I will discard 2 and take 3 horror' and then Deny that 3 horror, as opposed to going 'For this card, I'll take 1 horror. And for this card, another horror. For this one, a discard. And for this one, another horror' and so on... 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:41 AM, Iuchi Toshimo said:

Now they just need to make Eucatastrophe an Exceptional card so Silas doesn't just do everything better than you at all times. 

Something to prevent it being recurred in the same test it is used might be a good fix. The brute force method would just be to append "This card is not placed into your discard pile until the end of this skill test.". That would at least avoid Yorick and Silas being able to use it every single time.

Of course, in both cases they can scrounge up Resourceful with the elder sign effect and then use Resourceful on their next test to get back Eucatastrophe, but at least that has a chance of failing and breaking the cycle.

Making Eucatastrophe Exceptional as well would be good to prevent you just swapping copies in discard.

Or even a simple remove-from-game or "max. 2 per game per player", similar to the restrictions on Lantern/Gravedigger's Shovel (2) or Fortune or Fate, though I'd also consider reducing exp cost to 2 alongside that.

(it doesn't matter much to me right now, I now have only one true Survivor love and she plays the violin)