Karneck

2019 VASSAL Autumn Tourney is over!

55 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Ummm...why not just update the VASSAL module?  What prevents that?  I've done work on a few, it's not a huge effort to just add things to an established module...

Go for it, I have zero experience in creating content for Vassal.

14 minutes ago, Karneck said:

Go for it, I have zero experience in creating content for Vassal.

Can you fire up a Google sheet with what all needs done?

I'm an implementation consultant - I do the "get it done" things, not the planning things.  Not a project manager.  But if you can put a list out there of what all needs to be added/updated from whatever the current release is - I think we can get some things knocked out.  (Or in any case, it will be publicly documented for anyone else to assist, if nothing else)

10 hours ago, xanderf said:

Can you fire up a Google sheet with what all needs done?

I'm an implementation consultant - I do the "get it done" things, not the planning things.  Not a project manager.  But if you can put a list out there of what all needs to be added/updated from whatever the current release is - I think we can get some things knocked out.  (Or in any case, it will be publicly documented for anyone else to assist, if nothing else)

The biggest need is getting the new obstacles into vassal. Cards and squadrons we can easily proxy and not a big deal.

10 hours ago, Irishmadcat said:

@xanderfThis what you need?

That looks pretty good actually, yeah!  Is that the full list of everything missing from the game?  I don't recall how much of the SSD expansion had been included already - if there is anything missing from that, too?

Edited by xanderf

2 hours ago, Karneck said:

The biggest need is getting the new obstacles into vassal. Cards and squadrons we can easily proxy and not a big deal.

Also. We've gone over this before. We have a vassal development group already. We are working on getting things in. Please do not encourage other people to just jump in to working on the module on their own. It would only create confusion in the development process.

14 hours ago, xanderf said:

I'm an implementation consultant - I do the "get it done" things, not the planning things.  Not a project manager.  

You're a what? How is there a need for that?

Edit: and also thats a project manager. 

Edited by Ginkapo

3 hours ago, JJs Juggernaut said:

Also. We've gone over this before. We have a vassal development group already. We are working on getting things in. Please do not encourage other people to just jump in to working on the module on their own. It would only create confusion in the development process.

I do understand where this coming from, but please understand that the development group has now had quite some time to add the new obstacles.

If this is not done soon, people will do so for themselves, it is actually not rocket science to add them and nerds that play with spaceships tend to also be somewhat tech savy.

3 hours ago, RapidReload said:

I do understand where this coming from, but please understand that the development group has now had quite some time to add the new obstacles.

If this is not done soon, people will do so for themselves, it is actually not rocket science to add them and nerds that play with spaceships tend to also be somewhat tech savy.

We have not had physical copies of the obstacles to scan images of until late this week. So "quite some time" we have not. If people are impatient and want to do it themselves they had best go through to proper channels. Otherwise to people who have been doing to work may not decide to do the work anymore.

4 hours ago, JJs Juggernaut said:

We have not had physical copies of the obstacles to scan images of until late this week. So "quite some time" we have not. If people are impatient and want to do it themselves they had best go through to proper channels. Otherwise to people who have been doing to work may not decide to do the work anymore.

No one can force you to contribute. If other people trying to help makes you decide you dont want to, this is your decision.

Scans of the obstacles have been around since GenCon (i think it was). I agree that it is more reliable to have physical copies.

I want to state that I am extremely appreciative to anybody who is working on updating the module.  Coding and getting things sized properly is never a fun thing to do in your spare time and I understand its frustrating if that suddenly goes out the window. 
I just want to make sure I'm putting on the best tournament I can.

So I'll try to be more clear with the following and see if this will help.

While I want a full blown official update to the armada vassal module as put out by JJ and his team. I also understand they have lives and doing this all right means NOT rushing anything. I'm more than happy to wait for that official release.

IF we had a minor unofficial update to the current module we have currently to JUST include the new RitR obstacles, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Just understand that whomever does that work knows it for what it is, its a very short term fix that will be completely replaced once the update by JJ and his team is released.

As it stands, this tournament does not need anybody feeling pressured to run out and do anything, the tournament will survive and be awesome regardless. 

As posted, I have a poll in place that is asking players what THEY want to do, and that's what I'm going with even IF the armada module was to be released in the middle of the tournament.

So to tag along with Gink, we all love armada, lets not get upset over this, fly casual, have fun, and understand that we all only want what we think is best for the community.

ANY FURTHER COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS ON THIS SUBJECT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO ME VIA PM, any further comments continuing to poke at this subject is NOT welcome.

Edited by Karneck

Only a few days are left to sign up for the 2019 Autumn vassal tournament! and also to vote about what to do with RitR's new obstacles (since they are not in the vassal mod yet)

Don't be shy, sign up and pit yourself against players from the world over! 

5 hours ago, Karneck said:

Only a few days are left to sign up for the 2019 Autumn vassal tournament! and also to vote about what to do with RitR's new obstacles (since they are not in the vassal mod yet)

Don't be shy, sign up and pit yourself against players from the world over! 

When do you plan to make a call about the RitR objectives? 

ATTENTION EVERYONE!

Due to the gracious efforts of @RapidReload we have an UNOFFICIAL module updated with the new RitR obstacles and nothing else.
The new obstacles size and scale are about 95% on the money, trying to fine tune the sizing and scale is an EXTREMELY tedious and time consuming affair.

Which is why when the OFFICIAL module updates from the official team working on it, we'll want to use that. The official module has no release date, but it IS being worked on by the official team in their spare time.

Again understand, the team working on it wants to ensure a clean, bug free, and entirely TO scale released, polished, and finished product. 

When the time comes, I'll post where folks can download the UNOFFICIAL module for tournament play.

I will be removing the poll I had in place with this message, also as it stood with the pool, the poll was VASTLY overwhelming in favor of using current obstacles as stand ins for the new obstacles. So RitR objectives are ALL going to be legal for play!

Edited by Karneck

1 hour ago, Karneck said:

ATTENTION EVERYONE!

Due to the gracious efforts of @RapidReload we have an UNOFFICIAL module updated with the new RitR obstacles and nothing else.
The new obstacles size and scale are about 95% on the money, trying to fine tune the sizing and scale is an EXTREMELY tedious and time consuming affair.

Which is why when the OFFICIAL module updates from the official team working on it, we'll want to use that. The official module has no release date, but it IS being worked on by the official team in their spare time.

Again understand, the team working on it wants to ensure a clean, bug free, and entirely TO scale released, polished, and finished product. 

When the time comes, I'll post where folks can download the UNOFFICIAL module for tournament play.

I will be removing the poll I had in place with this message, also as it stood with the pool, the poll was VASTLY overwhelming in favor of using current obstacles as stand ins for the new obstacles. So RitR objectives are ALL going to be legal for play!

I only made it for this tournament, it is definitely not supposed to be official in any way and should be burned with fire as soon as the official version is released.

2 minutes ago, Roquax said:

I'm serious.

If there are free spots in the tournament, I don't see a reason not to allow it.  

It offers the player a disproportionate chance of qualifying for the World Cup (even though they'd be working harder for it)?

Also, fighting yourself.