pakirby

Target Lock/Assigned Token Etiquette

Are there floor rules somewhere that specify which player is responsible for moving target locks assigned to a ship when the ship moves?  Is it the player that owns the lock (me) or the player that owns the ship that the lock is assigned to?  

I’ve been experiencing games where the opposing player consistently does not move the target locks that I’ve taken on their ships when they move their ships.  I have to remind them that the ship they moved has a target lock assigned to the ship.  I can see if they forget once or twice but to consistently do this makes me wonder about their intentions.  I view this as them not maintaining proper game state. 

Edited by pakirby

I am terrible about physical token tracking since I'm usually mentally tracking gamestate while considering repositioning, target selection, etc.

I move the tokens as soon as I notice but it sometimes takes a bit if I'm caught up in the actual playing part

I sometimes forget to move enemy locks with my own ships. I always push my own locks next to ships I have them on though, if they don't. Keep my beady eye on them proper, if I'm relying on them. Partly it's to help the other player remember they're there while they debate their action, I view it as a kindness :)

So please do shove your own locks about, I'm just forgetful.

I've never really seen it as being the responsibility of a particular player. Often the person who moves the ship will do so especially if they're moving other tokens, but just as often the other person will. If you're cleaning up templates etc. after proxying a ship so you can do maneuvers or to sort out a bump it's faster for whoever's not doing that to move any tokens across.

57 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Another one that bothers me is when players reroll first, without removing the tokens first, and then "forget" to after rerolling.

Like really, that whole MTG thing of do COSTS first, effects later should be a rule here. tap your darn lands. 

That too.  With the target lock scenario, people will focus on only tokens that grant positive effects  and ignore tokens that do not benefit them (locks, jam/tractor).  Sometimes I feel It’s like “OK, do not move the target lock, maybe they’ll forget that they have a lock on my ship..”.

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Another one that bothers me is when players reroll first, without removing the tokens first, and then "forget" to after rerolling.

Like really, that whole MTG thing of do COSTS first, effects later should be a rule here. tap your darn lands. 

Guilty :(

I understand that at major tourneys where you've never met your opponent, things like this can be very awkward. But it does pay to be open and helpful, some of us have trouble keeping on top of everything. I'm always willing to do whatever I can to make the game a fair and enjoyable experience for my opponent, even if my ailing mind is letting me down.

12 hours ago, pakirby said:

That too.  With the target lock scenario, people will focus on only tokens that grant positive effects  and ignore tokens that do not benefit them (locks, jam/tractor).  Sometimes I feel It’s like “OK, do not move the target lock, maybe they’ll forget that they have a lock on my ship..”.

Just like folks at some conventions, like forgetting their character got hit by negative spells, such as curse, or were in the radius of enemy prayers/chants, when computing up what they hit/damaged..

For casual play, usually my opponents are pretty good about moving my locks with their ships. But sometimes in things like tournaments or large meets when you're playing against people you don't know, some of them might deliberately not touch your target locks. Not to cheat or anything, but they're just not 100% sure if you're ok with strangers handling your property, especially if you own non-standard cardboard stuff.

It's the responsibility of both players, as previously stated but let's not kid ourselves; if they're your locks, YOU make sure they stay with the ship they're intended for.

I'm as guilty as anyone for forgetting to move locks placed on my ships AND I've forgotten to make sure my locks move with the ship I locked. Generally I'm good about it, but at times a question arises, the excitement of the game takes over, or some other factor interrupts the process of moving locks & other tokens with the ships they are intended for and things can get muddy.

Just be honest and ask your opponent to help you recall the state of the game before you lost track. Also talk through your steps out loud. It helps you and it helps them.

In the end, you need to run a tighter ship.

Get in the habit of moving your locks and theirs. If they are opposed to you touching their tokens, they will let you know verbally or you'll notice them moving their things next time so you won't get your midichlorians on them.

Be fair and play on.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:49 PM, Darth Wrath said:

All players are responsible for maintaining the game state. So the answer is, both players are. 

Pretty much this. If they don’t move them after they move their ship, I will move the tokens. A lot of the time they will be thinking of what to do action wise and aren’t thinking if they have maintained a correct board state. I doubt there is malicious intent, because if there were, you probably have more to worry about than just lock tokens. 

I find myself frequently moving my locks after my opponent moves their locked ship, which honestly, I'm fine with as it doesn't bother me.

I am bothered when opponents don't keep enough action tokens readily available or don't keep them in a designed receptacle. Every round is a search through table space and dig through cards to find a stress, focus, ion, or the "seldom-used but could you please" crit reminders.

But, to keep it light, these are just small-stuff bothers and not a table-flipping rage episode on my part.

I never move my opponent's locks.  If they didn't want to have to reach across the table and keep re-moving their locks to be by my ship, they should have focused instead.

Besides, there's always the chance they'll forget to move them, too, and then maybe they'll either forget about the lock or maybe I will attach it to the wrong ship later, both of which can be advantageous.

(sarcasm)

39 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

Ahem,

340?cb=20180817083109

... but I get that you mean Second Edition does not use blue target lock tokens specifically. Some players still like the old lock tokens for a variety of reasons.

Yea, cause they have a lot of them!

Okay, sure I will forget sometimes.

But when I'm considering my re-positions I don't need a bunch a tokens cluttering up my area, or someone insisting I move all the tokens now while I'm thinking. I'll move them when I'm finished moving the ship.

I think the responsibility to move the (lock) tokens is down to the player moving the ship that the tokens are assigned to. Of course, as already mentioned, it's the responsibility of both players to maintain the proper game state so the other player's role here would be  make sure it's done, not necessarily do it for them. 

I, as a personal rule, wait until play is about to move on before I worry about reminding players to 'Take their luggage' as we call it. I don't want to interfere, Unless I think you've forgotten something you need/want to know. 

Edited by Sk3tch