K-2SO

ENTIRE collection or JUST your squad?

23 hours ago, PartridgeKing said:

Only play at friends if I'm not hosting and I'm slowly trying to wean myself off the 'take absolutely everything' mindset. Though part of that has been so I can lend ships to the people in the group who haven't actually got round to buying models but play regularly in the group.

Once you get your third box this decision is a lot easier.

I don't currently have any Huge ships and only two factions, but I have enough multiples of everything Empire and FO that bringing everything involves a lot of careful tessellation, and bringing a different bag to work with me ;) It helps that I cut the plastics down so that I can fit a good number of ships in my FO conversion kit box, put the majority of the cardboard in the 2.0 core set box, turn the plastic the ships in over and you can fit most base markers in them, and then putting other bags of tokens, bases and ships into the deadspace of the large ships and it works so far.

I imagine come the end of Jan when I pick up a Raider this will change! Just need to get people over the line with having all their own stuff!

If I tried to bring my entire collection to the store, I legit would have to take some kind of wheelbarrow and make multiple trips to the car, and I consider myself to have a pretty organised and relatively compact storage system going on here. I've already had to split the cards across four binders, and I'm verging on a fifth.

That said, whenever I do go to a store, I usually have two or three lists in the bag, just because it's about as easy to bring three as one a lot of the time. It still only takes one Feldherr tray, either way.

Edited by NakedDex

Organizing the collection can be a challenge indeed. I play all 7 factions too, so that doesn't help in that area.

I have two big binders for the cards. One is all the common cards, the other the faction-specific cards (each faction section indicated with its own color tab).  I bring both binders for our X-Wing night, so other players may borrow the cards that they are (invariably) missing.

For the ships/tokens, I use the Plano blue dual-sided cases. Five of them. Three are dedicated (one each) to the original three factions (Rebellion, Empire and Scum & Villainy) since they have the most ships. The other two cases have First Order/Resistance and Separatists/Republic.

I usually "limit" myself to one case (so one or two factions, depending on the case) and bring both binders to have access to all cards. Lately though, I've started deciding a bit earlier what I will play and select the needed cards before heading out, so I can only carry one case and have everything.

Generally I take two squads.  When I can make league night I bring a competitive and casual list.  For tournaments I take my first and second choice.  That way if I forget something (ship or dial) I can still play.  

Epic may change this because I may take an entire faction.  

All 156 ships except huge ships usually make the trek with me. That includes all cards and cardboard. Doesn't take up much space and I can usually bring it all in on one trip. I just take my quick grab box most of the time though into the store unless I know someone is borrowing something.

I carry around an unholy Box 'o Doom with my entire collection, minus the huge ships (which have their own storage).  I'm heavily invested in all 7 factions, so this thing is pretty big.  I have around 173 ship models: I think it's 21 large base, 22 medium, 130 small.  And a lot of cards and cardboard components.  I've strengthened my legs and back quite a bit lugging it around over the years.  And I do take the whole thing with me to game stores.

I like to have everything with me in case I need to loan anything out to anyone.  Also, I tend to not be sure what I want to play when I'm loading up my x-wing stuff in the morning; I usually take it all to work so I don't have to drive home before playing.  The game stores I regularly visit are 15-30 minutes south of my work (depending on traffic) and my work is 15-20 minutes south of my home (again, traffic-willing), so there's no going back if I forget something.  ;)  And sometimes I show up and have a moment of inspiration for a new jank fleet that will be stupid and fun, and I like to be able to build it on the spot and play immediately.

latest?cb=20190928071545&format=originallatest?cb=20190928073321&format=original

Important: put stickers on the lid.  Okay, it's not important, but do it anyway.

As you can see it's not completely full yet: there's room to grow if necessary.  But it's also really densely packed.

Box 'o Doom contents:

Small Ships: Rebel, Empire, and Scum each get their own container, with a 4th container for the 4 mini-factions.  That last one is only now starting to run out of room; soon I'll need a 5th container so I can split those mini factions apart and give them room to breathe.  These containers stack on each other and lock to each other, so when I want ships I just grab the solid ship-brick and pull it out, then find the container for the faction I want (they're labeled on the side).  It's extremely convenient.

Because the compartment for each ship is so large, I can usually fit all copies I have of a small ship into one compartment, along with dials, cardboard baseplates, and the little dial tokens.  I don't put the cardboard cover on the dials with the plastic insert, as that makes the dials take too much room; instead I just store the dial and token, then put them into Dial Upgrade Kits when I want to use play with that ship.  This vastly reduces the storage footprint of dials, and it lets me store all the ship's components with the models so there's no hunting around different boxes to assemble a fleet.  Having tried a few methods in first edition, this is the one I really like and I'm never going back.

A few small ships (mostly TIE/ln, TIE/fo, and TIE/sf) take up multiple compartments because the models and dials just need so much space (because I have so many of the ship).

The brand of these containers is HDX, but if you can't find them, they are similar to many other brands like these & these.

latest?cb=20190928072020&format=original

Large Ships: These are hard to store properly, and I went through a few storage systems before settling on this one.  I ended up just getting tall tackle-like boxes that have no inner compartments, just open space.  Then I used paper towels or bubble wrap to space the ships out and prevent damage.  I use the myriad bags that come with expansions to store each ship's components (dials, baseplates, dial tokens, etc) together so they don't all get mixed up, allowing me to store those with the ship just like with small ships, but in a more... freeform storage pattern.  ;)  It's the best method I've found so far for large ships, which awkwardly fail to fit in most containers I've tried.  What works for the Decimator and Falcon often doesn't work for the Death Shrimp (star fortress) and Ghost; but it works here.  I'm pretty happy with the result, but I rarely pull out large ships so I haven't really tested its limits yet.

latest?cb=20190928071624&format=original

latest?cb=20190928075516&format=originallatest?cb=20190928075529&format=original

It doesn't look like much, but it stores the ships compactly while keeping them from breaking, and all the little components are easy to grab because they're right there with the model, in a little baggie.

A rare few of these ships (like the YV-666) have been disassembled for easier storage (and perhaps future painting).

I have two of these containers.  Gods willing, that's all I'll need in the future.  They sit at the bottom of the Box 'o Doom, under the Card Box.  This makes them harder to reach, but that's fine since I use these ships less often anyway (mainly by fluke; future points updates may make some of my favorites like the Lancer more viable).

Medium Ships: Most medium ships fit into the small ship containers, though some (like the Kimogila) insist on taking multiple slots.  A few (like the Firespray) have to go into the Large Ships containers because they refuse to fit anywhere else.

Cards: I have a cardboard box with 3 dividers, creating 4 columns of card storage.  I fold 8.5x11 printer paper lengthwise and create U-shaped bends, which blocks of cards sit in to make it easy to pull out a block if needed (most useful for pulling out a faction or half a faction).  These also help with organization, since I can label the ends with the faction or letter range.

latest?cb=20190928071649&format=original

latest?cb=20190928071714&format=original

Pilots are organized by faction, then alphabetically by ship name, then by initiative (named before unnamed, then alphabetical).

Upgrades are organized alphabetically, not by type (when I'm looking through a list I've built on YASB, I'm thinking about card names, not their upgrade type).  The upgrades have card dividers for each letter of the alphabet so it's really easy to track down what I need.  I only keep around 4 or 5 copies of most cards in this organized area to make sure it's not too bloated.

Since I have billions of copies of each card, the left column is devoted to unsorted extra cards I don't normally need, unusable duplicates of uniques, etc.  These make good gifts to new players.  ^_^

The right column holds... misc stuff.  Some duplicate cards, a few extra components not stored elsewhere, etc.  Eventually this section will have to be reorganized as the card collection grows and consumes more of the box.

Tokens, Range Rulers, Maneuver Templates, etc: I have two containers for these.  One is a small 2x10 or so pill container with small sections, which I fill with various token types.  It's small enough that I can just take it to the game table with me.  The other is a standard tackle box with long sections, which is perfect for range rulers, maneuver templates, small, medium and a few large bases, and misc crap.  Like most containers, I grab what I need from this and leave it behind.  The range rulers and maneuver templates sit inside a long piece of paper folded lengthwise, so I can just grab the paper to lift everything out of the container (instead of scrabbling for all the parts with my fingers).  It's a very convenient setup.

These sit in the Tournament Tray when inside the Box 'o Doom.

latest?cb=20190928072516&format=originallatest?cb=20190928073229&format=original

Extra Misc Crap: I have two tackle box containers sitting under the Ship Brick, which are rarely accessed.  These containers could be left at home if I couldn't fit them; I probably wouldn't miss 'em.  But for now they hold:

• More large bases
  • More dial covers -- mainly the new ones that don't lock the dial cardboard into place (not enough friction), so the dial likes to rotate when placed down.  I hate these.  I should just give them away.
  • Misc tokens -- these are useful for Heroes of the Aturi Cluster and other custom game modes.

Snack Box: I'm hypoglycemic (opposite of diabetic but with some similar problems) so I try to make sure I have some spare snacks.  Though over the years as I've improved my health, I've found I'm okay without the snacks, which is really nice.  But a few belvita crackers and protein bars never hurt anyone.  I also have some water bottles, as for some reason I tend to need lots 'o water.  And usually the game store doesn't sell stuff I want or can eat (I can't and don't like to eat really sweet stuff like candy and soda).  This all sits in the tournament tray.

Tournament Tray: When I'm playing a tournament, I abandon the Box 'o Doom and just carry my fleet & components around the game store.  I found this thing at walmart or whatever for around 11 bucks and it's been great.  I think it's for carrying food but I don't see why anyone would want food in here instead of x-wing ships, given the choice.

When not at a tournament, it sits on top of the Card Box and keeps assorted crap in place.

Printed Lists: I'm too lazy to pull out cards most of the time, so I just print most of the lists I want to fly.  At any given time the Box 'o Doom is storing about 10,000,000,000 of these, only a third of which ever see play time.  I theory-craft a lot more fleets than I have time or energy to play.  ;)  Some sit in the tournament tray, while others sit in various folders, never to be seen again.

Folders: Along one side of the Box 'o Doom I have about four folders and a notebook.  One folder holds the printed Quick Play PDFs and printed maneuver cheat-sheets, one holds various instruction inserts that came with expansions (all of which I need to dump at some point), and the rest presumably hold printed lists I have already tried and don't revisit much.

The notebook is useful for several things:

• Borrowed List: If I loan something to someone, I try to write it down so I don't leave without it and then forget who has my copy of Moldy Crow or my Lancer or whatever.
  • Emergency List Writing: If I didn't print the list I want to fly, and I'm too dang lazy to pull out cards, I write it down here and play off of that (putting shield tokens, damage cards, etc on the page, referencing YASB as needed).
  • Scorekeeping and Player Tracking: If we're playing Furball or something like it, it's nice to list init from 0 - 6 (0 at top, 6 at bottom), with each row holding each player and their pilot/ship horizontally in first-player order for their initiative.  A many-player game goes a lot faster when someone has a notebook and clearly knows exactly who is next, and who's after then.  "Bob, you're up; Kate, you'll be right after him."  Takes a 4-hour game down to 2 hours, just by cutting out the delay time as people look at each other in a stupor trying to remember who's next (when everyone's tired), or no one realizes we're waiting for the next person to take their turn (including that person).  Organization, yo!

Huge Ships:

Turns out my Large Ship storage solution also works great for huge ships.  Extremely well, in fact.  I have two such containers for huge ships and their cards/components, except they're each twice as large as the large ship containers, storing two or three ships per container (I just figured out which ships fit together side-by-side well and went with that).  They sit at home collecting dust until FFG releases Epic 2.0.

latest?cb=20190928071806&format=original

latest?cb=20190928071842&format=original

Junk:

Anything I don't want to carry around, like the billions of extra tokens and plastic bases, and lots of extra plastic bags (all of which I'm holding onto for... uncertain reasons, though the bags often prove useful)... it all ends up on a shelf in a room in my house, next to the two boxes for huge ships.  I keep it to give to new players, and for the occasions when I realize I need it.

Here's my list of ships (this should be reasonably accurate, though it doesn't include huge ships): Link to Google Doc

Edited by Wazat
Adding pictures

6 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Dang. 156 ships. I'm too afraid to count the number of ships I own.

Is that info available on YASB or Launchbay Next? I'm kinda curious now.

How many do You own, dear reader?

Well for me..  Planno boxes # 1 through 6.  6 xwings, 6 b-wings, 6 y-wings, 5 a-wings, 1 u=wing, 1 arc-170 and 2 hw290s for my rebels.  That gives me 27 rebel ships (26 small, 1 large base)

16 tie fighters, 8 interceptors, 9 bombers, 8 defenders, 6 advances, 3 aggressors, 4 strikers and 2 advance prototypes for the empire, + all the card, the bases, pegs, dice, range and movement rulers and tokens.  That gives me 56 here. 

Then in the foam pad under it, 1 rebel transport, 1 yt-1300, 1 yt-2400, 1 gozanti, 1 decimator and 2 lambda shuttles, plys the large base stuff..  That all fits in a 3ft by 2ft by 2ft plastic tote (though it is heavy)..

11 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Is that info available on YASB or Launchbay Next? I'm kinda curious now.

Over 250 last Easter. Don't want to recount them, it takes too long!

That big stack of boxes Kris showed? Not big enough.  I have 19 KR multicases. I do not bring everything with me, ever.

I do bring over half of them for the proper games (2000+ pts per side), mostly because 9 huge ships take up a lot of space.

I used to bring everything, but then that became unreasonable later into first edition.

Now, I have a small card binder, Plano, and two smaller bits boxes that I carry around 15 squads in; some are my usuals, some are old favorites, others are new ones or things I want to try.

Everything, plus a big cardboard mailer tube for my mat, fits into my bike bag which is how I get around. Things will change if I start playing Epic.😬

19 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Rebel -31, Imperial - 49, S&V - 40; Resistance - 14; FO - 16; Republic - 11.  In addition, ARC-170 - 4; Y-wing - 4; Z-95 - 8; HWK-290 - 2.

Also, one of each Huge ship: Raider, Gozanti, C-ROC, Transport, CR-90.

So ... 184 ships.

... Jesus.

Though, honestly, I don't feel bad about the money spent on ships.  I feel bad about the buckets and buckets and buckets of money I've spent on accessories that have turned out to suck.  I have made really bad choices in a lot of cases.  (Just for example -- a big example -- BattleFoam.  Absolutely not worth the very significant expense.  Not even close.)

Like a lot of folks, for league night I typically bring two lists. Each will be in their own plano tray, with base, ship token, ship marker and a single peg assembled, so all I have to do is put the ship on the peg. 

Each tray should have sufficient tokens, obstacles, etc. so I don't have to open the other tray if I don't want to. Also, the cards. I have to say, I'm jealous of folks who just print up their lists. No one in my league does that, maybe I should start the trend...

The rest of the container has my dice tray, dice bag, and movement templates tray, which also has a "tournament tray" that can hold ship bases securely, in case I need to move the squad from one table to another without breaking it down. Also a laser, challenge coin from CAC event, and all my obstacles. That seems to be something many people forget, so having extras at hand seems good. Also, a humorous beer koozie so I can distinguish my drink from the other players'.

Tournament is obviously much more stripped down. I've got the "District Foundry" lunchbox ship holder for my typical list, and a tournament tray that holds everything I need.

I own way to much to bring it all. I should probably actually buy another tackle box to start housing all the crap as I have all my least used ships loosish in a tote, not to mention my "painting box" which has about a dozen ships in various states of progress in it. 

I usually bring at 5-8 lists with me a week, but only play 3 of them. :P

On 9/28/2019 at 12:55 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

Though, honestly, I don't feel bad about the money spent on ships.  I feel bad about the buckets and buckets and buckets of money I've spent on accessories that have turned out to suck.  I have made really bad choices in a lot of cases.  (Just for example -- a big example -- BattleFoam.  Absolutely not worth the very significant expense.  Not even close.)

Yea, I avoided battle foam because it looked like a lot of unnecessary money (edit: and it takes a lot of space!).  A little bit of newspaper or paper towel is all the padding ships need inside a Plano or HDX container, if that.  X-Wing ships are generally pretty tough and durable, unlike lead Warhammer models that seem to break at the slightest drop.  I don't know how the Warhammer players tolerated those... I see some broken all the time at the game store and the warhammer players just shrug and say it happens a lot.  :(  Other than a few ships' guns needing protection, I've found I can neglect the safety of my x-wing ships with quite a lot of impunity and they come out fine.  Custom-Painted ships probably deserve a little extra though, as do some of the larger ships with delicate guns, etc, hence the paper towel or newspaper padding.

Also I agree with not feeling bad about the money spent on ships.  X-Wing is the game I've spent the most money on out of anything else I've invested in, and I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of it.  It helps that ships are playable right out of the box -- they don't require weeks of cleaning, trimming, assembly, painting, etc before they're ready to put on the table.  It also helps that I love how the game plays; it grips me in ways that other miniature games didn't.  ^_^

Edited by Wazat

54 minutes ago, Wazat said:

Also I agree with not feeling bad about the money spent on ships.  X-Wing is the game I've spent the most money on out of anything else I've invested in, and I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of it.  

Hear, hear! I've played for about a year and a half, and sunk A LOT of money into ships, conversion packs, 3rd party templates etc., but... I play every week, sometimes twice. I've made some lasting friendships. I've become interested in the Extended Universe and Legends. I've learned exciting new curse words.

I mean, if you took the total cost (which I'm not going to do) and divided by the amount of playtime? I'm sure it comes out way ahead of boardgames that I've only played a few times, or movie tickets. Think about what a set of golf clubs costs!

Fortunately my partner and family are super-supportive, and my sister was thrilled to see how much my 7-year-old nephew took to it. So yeah, like my tattoo says: NO RAGRETS!

I use a small box with compartments for all the dice and tokens. Usually enough for the typical squad or two. So that is always there when I play. 

Since I have a lot of MtG stuff and don't play that often any more, I put my ships, dials and bases in one of the fat pack boxes. No padding, yet to face any problem over the last years. Typically I bring one list, but sometimes more ships if I am not sure what to play exactly. (Today it's Lancer, HWK, 2 Khiraxz, mining tie, Scyk and a Quadjumper. Let's see who gets table time...). 

Since I only have scum ships, I bring all my cards with me. That is another fat pack box, the cards are sorted in deck boxes. Base inlays come in a smaller box. 

Also a leather dice cup and my templates. 

My ship storage at home is not very well suited for transport, so if i had to bring them all, I'd have to think about changing something. 

Edited by flooze