legofiddl3

It can't take an ISD head on.

29 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Not true, it's all about context.

A lot of times, if you don't take an ISD head on, but try to flank or chase it, once it is sufficiently damaged it can just Speed 3 away from danger for the last few rounds, and even if you've put 10 damage cards on it, it's worth no points, so every die you threw at it was a total waste.

To that end, taking an ISD head on is one of the few ways to kill it with ships, especially if you need to block it to prevent it from moving away.

I won a lot of tournaments a couple years ago taking ISDs head on with an Landominition (Admonition MC30 + Lando).  Backed by Reikaan, Lando could reliably kill an ISD head-on, and sometimes the Admo would even survive the exchange.  Either way, it was a net gain in points.  MC75s can similarly do something similar, but it's a bigger points risk.

Also, if it's Imp vs Imp, it pretty much necessitates head-on conflicts between ISDs, and I'm pretty sure an SSD can take an ISD head on (but I've never seen one on table).  Like, a Kuat ISD Avenger with Expanded Launchers and some offensive mods desperately wants to go head-on with any other ISD out there.

So, like everything, context is everything.  But I certainly enjoyed stomping overconfident Imp players who thought nothing could beat their ISDs head on and would just fly right into the teeth of my little Admonition ... 🤣:)🤣

Yes context is king, and normally I hear the statement with no context. So maybe that's the issue.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:31 PM, EchoZero said:

Okay, so I had to do some research, but according to Del Rey, the novelizations are canon anywhere that isn't directly contradicted by the movie. 

So, canon, for now? lol

Which cheers me up, cause that means TLJ's novelization explaining how Rey got her skills is also in the "true for now" category. 

I, for one, accept that the Novelizations are the True Canon, as often some part of a script or story is removed for various reasons from the final cut. Something like the Ground Assault on Star Killer base would have added EVEN more to what was going on. Also, none of our main characters were there.

23 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

Am I the only one who thinks a conventional ramming attack would have been enough of a cinematic moment for the movie? A Mon Cal battlecruiser could have closed the distance with their amazing redundant shield generators, and there wouldn't have been any lore ramifications for fans to debate endlessly. Granted I personally had problems with other parts of the Last Jedi, but removing hyperspace ramming from the movie would have improved it a bit for me.

Speed of Effect? In the movie, we see the FO firing on the unarmed transports. We know there is limited time, and so something has to be done, RIGHT NOW. I like it for that reason, its a "***** hit the fan, hit the big red button" sorta thing.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:41 PM, TrueMandalorian said:

I suggest you guys go onto YouTube and look up a video on the channel EchartsLadder. He talks about the real science behind how such a small ship could do damage like that. It’s worth a watch. The break down from what I remember is the ship had to be traveling basically an exact speed (pre-hyperspace) that compresses it’s mass enough to punch through the Space Boomerang and send shrapnel to the others.

so my idea of what happened is ol’ Purple hair knew the odds and mentally said “don’t ever tell me the odds!” Made the jump, with the intention of not actually entering hyperspace, colliding with Snoke and damaging/destroying it. Very much all based on hope. And by the force, luck, or whatever granted it so, she pulled it off perfectly. An impossibility hard thing to do (why it isn’t done more, I.e. space nukes) that we will never see again.

I do believe Holdo was also a force sensitive as well. The source on that is fuzzy, as I believe at the moment there's no lore to support it, but Laura Dern stated that she was. 

That could go a long way to explain it too. 

There's plenty of stuff that can face ISD head on and win. Other ISD/SSD excluded, the crucial thing is the activation order. If you can get into range of the ISD, shoot and get out of it's front arc before it can fire, you're perfectly fine approaching it from the front. Even if you do not have the means to avoid it's arc but you do have an ECM and brace, ISD will typically only deal 4-5 damage - perfectly survivable for a large ship for 2-3 turns if nothing else shoots at you. Double arc it or simply get other ships or squadrons and you can finish it off quickly.

Unless you mean literally going head to head 1 on 1 trading blows. In that case... you might as well ask "but can it trade broadsides with HMC80?". You'll probably find out that nothing can, ISDs especially. Does it mean ISDs suck/are not viable? Of course not. You simply picked a ship that is at the top of it's class in a certain type of engagement as a benchmark and unsuprisingly found out that other ships are... not at the top of that class.

12 minutes ago, Lightrock said:

Unless you mean literally going head to head 1 on 1 trading blows. In that case... you might as well ask "but can it trade broadsides with HMC80?". You'll probably find out that nothing can, ISDs especially. Does it mean ISDs suck/are not viable? Of course not. You simply picked a ship that is at the top of it's class in a certain type of engagement as a benchmark and unsuprisingly found out that other ships are... not at the top of that class.

This literally the comparison I hear that I find ridiculous. 

And as a Rebel player I totally concur with the HMC80 analogy.

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I do believe Holdo was also a force sensitive as well. The source on that is fuzzy, as I believe at the moment there's no lore to support it, but Laura Dern stated that she was. 

That could go a long way to explain it too. 

I had herd that too. I thought about mentioning that, but not having any sources I figured leave it out.