Jump to content
BladeVampire

Can Force sensitives buy any force ability?

Recommended Posts

This is probably a pretty straight forward question, but I wasn't entirely sure because I've been jumping around my some odd 12 books and had this thought.

Can a force sensitive purchase any force ability? I mostly was curious if there was some restriction somewhere I've been overlooking. Thanks in advance!

Edited by BladeVampire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BladeVampire said:

This is probably a pretty straight forward question, but I wasn't entirely sure because I've been jumping around my some odd 12 books and had this thought.

Can a force sensitive purchase any force ability? I mostly was curious if there was some restriction somewhere I've been overlooking. Thanks in advance!

As long as your character has the pre-requisite Force Rating (most powers only require Force Rating 1, some require FR 2, and Protect/Unleash requires FR 3), then they can purchase whatever Force powers or talents they wish.

That being said, there are at least two Force powers (Warde's Foresight, Janserra's Influence) that per the adventure they appear have restrictions in how far the PCs can progress in the power, but nothing's stopping a GM from waiving those restrictions if they don't intend to run those adventures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, Donovan Morningfire said:

That being said, there are at least two Force powers (Warde's Foresight, Janserra's Influence) that per the adventure they appear have restrictions in how far the PCs can progress in the power, but nothing's stopping a GM from waiving those restrictions if they don't intend to run those adventures.

For a while I toyed with the idea of making Jerserra's Influence a more generic power and just call it something like Fear. It really fits as a power for any Darkside character, PC or NPC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

For a while I toyed with the idea of making Jerserra's Influence a more generic power and just call it something like Fear. It really fits as a power for any Darkside character, PC or NPC.

I've added to a few Krath NPCs, calling it Krath Influence, as it fits the Krath quite well.

You could probably just rename it Dark Influence and call it day.

I've also done similar with Warde's Foresight, just renaming it Foresight, though so far I've only built one Knight Level character with that power, and even then, just the basic ability.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, BladeVampire said:

This is probably a pretty straight forward question, but I wasn't entirely sure because I've been jumping around my some odd 12 books and had this thought.

Can a force sensitive purchase any force ability? I mostly was curious if there was some restriction somewhere I've been overlooking. Thanks in advance!

Like most have said its just up to the GM.  Some GM's are laxed and will let the character learn the force power as long as they have the rating.  Others will try and build a story around it in a way to were something big probably influences it being learned.  For instance one of the pc's in my group can force jump but my character can't.  While my character is farther along in the sense tree than them.  So we are training with each other on our down time to become better at both.  While another way is limit a certain force power being learned like protect/unleash to a holocron or have someone train that character. Of course they still need to meet the prerequisites in the books (FR 3).  It's really up to the GM on how they wan't to handle it.  

Our group is not force heavy, mainly because we are in-between A new hope and empire strikes back.  With force powers making you stick out and putting the group at risk during this timeline.  Most of us just go with basic force powers like sense and influence that are used more passively than powers that make us light up like christmas trees to everyone around us, and also force sensitives that might work for the empire to hunt down those that have and use force powers.

Edited by Metalghost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Metalghost said:

Like most have said its just up to the GM.  Some GM's are laxed and will let the character learn the force power as long as they have the rating.  Others will try and build a story around it in a way to were something big probably influences it being learned.  For instance one of the pc's in my group can force jump but my character can't.  While my character is farther along in the sense tree than them.  So we are training with each other on our down time to become better at both.  While another way is limit a certain force power being learned like protect/unleash to a holocron or have someone train that character. Of course they still need to meet the prerequisites in the books (FR 3).  It's really up to the GM on how they wan't to handle it.  

Our group is not force heavy, mainly because we are in-between A new hope and empire strikes back.  With force powers making you stick out and putting the group at risk during this timeline.  Most of us just go with basic force powers like sense and influence that are used more passively than powers that make us light up like christmas trees to everyone around us, and also force sensitives that might work for the empire to hunt down those that have and use force powers.

Yeah, I figured. I was just curious if there was a "Hard" rule. I assumed "no" because there are force abilities that require you to be light or dark, or the ability changes completely depending on your alignment. So I was more curious if there was something to prevent someone from doing so. I do like that idea, requiring to be taught the ability to some extent. Perhaps I'll work that in, or use some sort of Holocron oriented form of teaching.

My problem is that I love star wars just about through and through. But my group is a little mixed, so if I DM I have to find a way that allows everyone to get sucked in. I guess the real question is, what are they interested in. Mainly because if I'm playing I can see the value in numerous artifacts, while the rest of them could find a holocron and be like

".....what's it worth?"

"Immense knowledge of the force!"

"But....what's it worth..."

Anyway, thanks for the information! I'm glad it's open to the player on the game's basis.

Edited by BladeVampire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...