Sign in to follow this  
MegaSilver

Chess Clocks in The Countdown X-Wing Worlds Side Event!

16 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Good luck figuring out whose turn it is.

Against a few people that frequent your neck of the woods as well as mine, I think we know whose turn it is when our dials are set yet we stand there waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

15 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

So, during planning, which player time is counting down?

Yeah, I dont get it. Both times would have to count down or be stopped, then when one player is set he hits the clock to countdown the other player?

Whats gonna be annoying is I roll attack dice, then hit the clock, opponent modifies my dice, hits the clock, I modify my my dice hit the clock. Then what? Is neultralize step and dishing damage stopped time or opponents time? There are those lull periods where its both players decisions and the clock needs to stop. What about an opponent maneuver over my ships, and I have to mark my ships to clear the way, is it my timer or theirs? Am I taking my time marking ships or rushing and being slopping cause its my clock?

I feel like a 5 page rule book is needed for this format.

Hopefully I dont have to worry about playing in Saturday side events 😉

Edited by wurms

32 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

I think chess clock MIGHT be a good idea, i'm just curious how it's gonna be implemented in X-wing, a game where players order are so intertwined. 

Clock is not running while both players are planning is what's been said.

I'm glad that they looking at it.  Slow play is really irksome in tabletop games in general.  But chess clocks would work better on games like 40k where you alternate whole rounds.  

I honestly think it maybe smarter to look at the bids.  If you started down the points of your bid it would require more aggressive play. 

21 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

I think chess clock MIGHT be a good idea, i'm just curious how it's gonna be implemented in X-wing, a game where players order are so intertwined. 

Maybe both clocks are counting down and once your dials are set you stop your timer.. they may need a judge for each table...

21 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

Clock is not running while both players are planning is what's been said.

Then with 40 min per player on the clock games will be closer to 2 hours.

I don't know, I like the idea of a clock, because i'm usually a really fast player for putting in my maneuver, and I've had quite a lot of game go to time and end up in a way that 1 or 2 round extra would mean a different outcome. But other players sometimes play way slower, which is okay, not everyone plays at the same speed, but I then feel a little salty when I know 1 extra turn could have turned the game around for me, and I was playing fast enough to get it, but the other player took 8 min to do a single turn. No way to call a judge either, because they've been playing at the same speed the whole game, so it's not like they're at fault.

Maybe chess clock will give a little edge to players who can plan faster or in advance, but yeah this all seems iffy and hard to keep track off. I'll need to try it out for myself, but i'm not sure if chess clock is the way for x-wing to go.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:38 PM, wurms said:

In that case, where the **** is the swap first player token format?

Any time I've seen folks try alternating first player, it almost always seems to favor one person more than the other. Who ever is second player on the first major engagement tends to have the advantage.

11 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Any time I've seen folks try alternating first player, it almost always seems to favor one person more than the other. Who ever is second player on the first major engagement tends to have the advantage.

Yeah. Havent seen it in use, but definately sounds like a bad format, just like chess timer. Worlds side events can be a side circus to try out weird formats, lol.

Action Phase format:

new phase added after activation and before engagement.

Activation phase: moves all ships from lowest init to highest. Actions relating to activation and executing maneuvers may be taken in this phase.

Action Phase: perform action step for all ships. Lowest init to highest init.

Engagement phase: as normal

On 9/19/2019 at 4:39 PM, DarthSempai said:

Finally, the time to bring superkylo and quickdraw!

That duo (admittedly with a 3rd ship as bait) got me an invite. Kylo time is all the time. Especially dial, slam it on the table, and hit the clock. Now they have to spend their time to try to catch you with their dials whereas super auto dial gets you out. I mean, that kind of speedy Kylo play when the clock is on his side is typical as a power move to assuage the insecurity of not being able to 200 pt this particular round, but now with a format encouraging it...

Edited by player3010587