TasteTheRainbow

What’s wrong with Reapers?

Also, red coordinate (jam is just less useful), no rear arc and -2 HP for very close to the same cost. If Empire had any cheap instant gratification crew it might work, but most of their stuff is expensive (force crew) or very situational (Krennic, Death Troopers, ISB). The Reaper is not a great gunship nor a great support ship, it's just okay at both and dies easily.

The base reaper is pretty...bleh, but the named pilots are pretty swanky

Issue with Vermeil is he gets pretty expensive with Vader crew (basically required), but Vizier is incredibly reasonably costed for his very useful ability and feroph can be surprisingly chunky (esp now that he needs two tractors to lose his ability)

I find both quite enjoyable with palpatine 

Nobody has flown a Reaper to a major win for a while. That is all. The meta waits for it to be meta before making it meta.

It's a great, but not at all simple ship. Unless you're jamming it in people's faces with the expectation that it will die very soon.

Vader, Vermeil, Countdown, Gideon was a thing for a bit. Because jam face die.

I’ve had limited play time. More familiar with lambda. Mine has a kill count over 30 ships. 

Reaper is hard to learn. 

But im interested in trying it soon to see if it’ll be good at avoiding dying. It’s only a 20 point move boost tho. As I suspect it would at best be the difference between dying and half points. 

Jams don’t stick around to next turn right? Meh. 

I like reapers but I wouldn't take them to a major tournament.  After 4 or 5 games I have a high likelyhood of making at least one adaptive  aileron mistake. 

Lambdas are point efficient and less demanding.  

I love reapers in casual games though.

I've played Reapers in a couple local tournaments. I think that their main problem is their speed. While they are, at their core, a support ship, it is quite difficult to keep them with the rest of your force. They either speed past everyone after the first pass or have to continually bump and sloop and lose their actions which deprives them of their support abilities. 

Depends on what your reaper is supporting and how

What:

Got similarly speedy ships like Strikers, Phantoms etc? They can keep up pretty easily 

How:

One reason I love Palp on them: no range restrictions, baby!

if the reaper needs to GTFO, it can do so without worrying about not contributing to the fight!

Wondering how snap shot will impact reapers and strikers with mandatory ailerons being a maneuver.

I still have a list with them that I play regularly and have fun with.

11 hours ago, Darth Seridur said:

The red hard turns on a ship that has manoeuvrability as a feature is an issue. 

The lambda has a different style so finds it inconvenient but can cope. 

This is basically the crux. It needs a lot of forethought to manage the speed, stress and positioning. At times, you cannot go where you'd like without suiciding it the following turn, since the blues are very restrictive. You have to keep numerous options open, so that when you do pull a red move, the next blue is just as advantageous. It's hard.

(This is also why Vizier is criminally overlooked as a Coord boat that can keep a 3 die firing arc relevant.)

The other difficulty, compared to the Lambda is that it absolutely will not tank fire. If you want to use it to create blocking zones, then you have to be prepared for that to be the last thing it does. Which means that, if you're playing it that way, you can't invest very many points in it, thus limiting it's utility as a crew carrier.

Basically, it's a ship that you can't just put in a list and be done. You need a really clear plan for its inclusion, and with an open meta, plans can run afoul with disturbing frequency. If you want a properly competitive list that can deal with surprises, you're going to want more insurance in those plans. So its not that it can't compete, (with a solid plan), it's more that the associated risk is anathema to those wanting to be confident of making and progressing through major cuts.

Unlike the good old space cow, that is here, here and then here, taking this much damage along the way.

1 hour ago, Slade said:

Wondering how snap shot will impact reapers and strikers with mandatory ailerons being a maneuver.

I still have a list with them that I play regularly and have fun with.

I think not a great deal, since you're limited to one bonus attack. You may be giving out more opportunities to take it, but you'll also be hopping through range bands more easily, so it may even out.

In theory.

They have two big problems working against them:

1. They are too fast. The medium base puts them out in front unless you are coordinating or doing red maneuvers to slow down to get stressed to turn of Ailerons. But that stress leaves you a hair more predictable. Once you you do engage, getting turned around is a bit ruff, and will leave you stressed so returning to the fight after your S-loop takes longer.

2. They cannot turn well. Both the 1 hard and the 2 hard are red. For the Lambda this isn't a problem as it lumbers slowly around, but the Reaper has to Aileron before executing the hard. The Lambda can still get shots once it passes the field of engagement since it has the butt gun, but the Reaper has not such option.

Blegh... I don't know what FFG can possibly do to this ship as its just a bit dead right now.

I suppose they could release a config that gives it white hard turns but it doesn't solve the problem of zipping around too quick and getting itself into trouble before melting instantly.