Schanez

Intimidating VCX-100 Squad?

Hi there!

I've been looking through the Wave Five ships and decided to start tinkering with a VCX-100 build. At first I had the approach of a cruising YT-1300 style... But then I tinkered a bit more and came up with this hilarious "Not one step backwards!" list. And I decided to ask people here to see, what they think of it, as I myself am a very rookie player.

1. VCX-100 Herra Syndula - Intimidation, Informant, "Zeb" Orrelios, Dorsal Turret, Veteran Turret Gunner, Ghost Title
  2. Sheathipede-Class Shuttle AP-5 - Lando Calrisian
  3. RZ-1 A-Wing Jake Farrell
  4. RZ-1 A-Wing Arvel Crynd - Intimidation

My idea was to have Herra and Arvel be the blockers while Jake flies around and flanks and the Sheathipede hangs behind the Ghost and does some coordinate and pew pew. With Intimidation on Syndula and Arvel, you can strip some of those defence dice from the pesky aces as well as easily break up swarm formations, if your enemy is not prepared. Informant and "Zeb" Orrelios allow you to lock onto an ace and keep yourself on its tail. Or do some clever arc dodges with Syndula's ability. Lando Calrisian's action gives your Sheathipede a bit of survivability, so it can be a nuisance for longer.

I am curious what do people think. Would it work? Or is the VCX-100 too squishy to be so reckless in pushing it in the face of enemies?

YASB 2.0 link

I like the idea. It may be a little trouble for Hera because she is not likely going to get actions when she bumps into lower initiatve ships, so for having mods I would recommend getting Saw on there somehow. He's so good on the ghost for having mods while bumping or stress and changing all focus to crits for the cost of one damage is so good. 

42 minutes ago, Skeether said:

I like the idea. It may be a little trouble for Hera because she is not likely going to get actions when she bumps into lower initiatve ships, so for having mods I would recommend getting Saw on there somehow. He's so good on the ghost for having mods while bumping or stress and changing all focus to crits for the cost of one damage is so good. 

That is true. But Herra can perform an action from Coordination from the Sheathipede and then move. Jake Farrell can also pass on a Focus, if he is close. Saw Garrerra is a 4 point over the limit in a straight exchange and I kind of fail to find the points anywhere... Maybe skipping on Intimidation?

An alternate to Informant would be Nien Nunb which is just amazing on Herra. Or an option would also be to field a duo of Baze Malbus and "Zeb" Orrelios and have Farrell trigger the red Focus on Syndula during engagement. Would require a very bundled up flying, but then Jake can Barrell Roll for a Focus for himself then Boost closer to Herra for a Focus for her.

I have tried to make something similar work before:

If you're trying to maximize your chance to get the blocks off, i suggest trying to use ion cannon turret on Hera or getting some Ion Missiles on the As.

Also, swarm tactics can help delete some ships before they shoot, but you don't have space on Herra i guess...

I really like Horton on this type of build, since he gets the most out of his ability and he can also be another source of ion. But at that point im just asking you to play my list, which is not the point :)

I took your list and started modifying it. I have no experience with the ghost, so i'm not sure if what i did is any good...

Hera Syndulla (VCX-100) (73)    
    Intimidation (3)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)    
    Informant (5)    
    "Zeb" Orrelios (1)    
    Veteran Turret Gunner (8)    

Ship total: 111  Half Points: 56  Threshold: 7    

Arvel Crynyd (34)    
    Intimidation (3)    
    Predator (2)    

Ship total: 39  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 2    

Garven Dreis (X-Wing) (47)    
    Predator (2)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z61X122W111W135W138W37W65WW90WY51X122W127WY6X127WWWW142&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I subbed out Jake for Garven because he has a bigger punch. I added predator to Arvel because it's the best way to give them double mods and youcan take advantage of the bumps to set it up consistently

I ended up removing AP-5 in favor of advanced sensors, i'm not sure if AP-5 was doing something more than that for you.

I also added some ion sources to the list, because i really do believe that they are the best way to make sure your strategy is consistent.

Honestly i don't know if this build works, but at the very list it may give you some ideas as to where you can take your list

Edited by LeMightyASP

Another alternative I found, going with higher Initiative to bump into enemies:

1. Hera Syndulla - Intimidation, Baze Malbus, "Zeb"Orrelios, "Ghost"
  2. Fenn Rau - R4 Astromech
  3. Wedge Antilles - Ion Torpedoes, Munitions Failsafe

And that leaves you with 4 points bid for something or just empty.

YASB 2.0

6 hours ago, Sovoth said:

Does Nien Nunb still work with Hera's ability?

As far as I know, yes. Nien Nunb is a passive, that makes all your banks blue. And Hera checks for blue after revealing the dial. So I would say it does. I think even Seasoned Navigator would work. As you could set a Straight 1, then use Navigator to set it to Left Bank 1 which becomes red and then swap it with Hera to set it to any other red you have.

Edited by Schanez

I'm thinking about something like this

Practice squad

(68) Lothal Rebel [VCX-100 Light Freighter]

(55) Wedge Antilles [T-65 X-wing]
(4) R2 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(1) Crack Shot

(62) Luke Skywalker [T-65 X-wing]
(4) R2 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils

Total points: 194

Not sure how I'd engage. Either bait with Luke first or let them take down Lothal while Luke and Wedge take down ships.

Seems fun, though ghost probably won't last too long lol

I have checked the ruling with Hera Syndulla and Nien Nunb and Seasoned Navigator.

So according to the new rules... As I see it... You would Reveal your dial, that is set to 'printed' White 3 Left Bank which is treated as a Blue 3 Left Bank due to Nien Nunb. You can change it to any 'printed' Blue maneuver with the change, that Nien Nunb does not give you the additional 1 and 3 Banks. So technically She can trigger from a wider range of maneuvers, but can then change to her traditional 'printed' Blues.

As for Seasoned Navigator, I think a similar case would apply. You reveal your dial, decide to swap the maneuver to any other White of same speed and treat it as Red. Hera triggers after that and she can change to any other 'printed' Red maneuver you have on the dial.