Bort

Range 2-3 wpns.

May be obvious and a dumb question, but just double checking.

If the closest point of a ship is in Range 1, but some of the ship is also at range 2.  Can a range 2-3 (Like Ion Missile) shoot at it?

image.png.98fb380bb731aab7a77d4d867d0fd934.png

I always just assumed it will be able to, but now I'm confused by the way range measurement is specified. I mean clearly the opposing ship is in R1. But for the sake of the shot this doesn't matter right? I just check if the ship is in my legal arc and range? So in arc, within range span of 2-3.

Ion missiles in this specific situation? No. 

But it Is possible depending on the weapons attack arc and ship position. Like this. 

KSRCVhf.png

So in the above situation, (lets ignore ship types for this), if the tie fighter had a special weapon such as "Heavy Laser Cannon" (range 2-3, bullseye arc only), he would be able to use HLC at range 2, or primary at range 1. 

24 minutes ago, TrueMandalorian said:

That brings up an interesting question for me. If the requirement said at range one and in bullseye, would the X-Wing in that picture be considered valid?

That depends on the weapon and the wording.  Attack ranges are always measured within the chosen attack arc, which are defined by the weapons themselves.  Other effects would depend on the precise wording of the effect you're talking about.

Let's talk about a hypothetical weapon called Destructo-Beam, which is a 3-dice attack, with a Bullseye firing arc, and attack range of 1-3 (range modifiers ok), that says "Attack:  Perform this attack.  After rolling attack dice, you may perform a Jam action targeting the defender."  In the case of the TIE Fighter attacking the X-Wing above, the attack range would be 2, since it has to be measured within the attack arc.  However, the Jam action could still happen, since the enemy ship is within the Range 1 bubble that the Jam Action requires to be effective.

6 hours ago, TrueMandalorian said:

That brings up an interesting question for me. If the requirement said at range one and in bullseye, would the X-Wing in that picture be considered valid?

I imagine FFG is going to try to avoid using that specific wording after the 1E Autothrusters garbage that they had to rule on. 

The best example of what you are asking, has much cleaer wording defining two separate conditions is Anakin Skywalker. 

After you fully execute a maneuver, if there is an enemy ship in your Icon arc standard front at range 0-1 or in your Icon arc bullseye, you may spend 1 Icon force to remove 1 stress token.

Here its an either/or. So only one of them needs to be met. But they also state "in arc AT # range" rather than "arc AND range". Several other abilities i've looked up have the same or similar wording. But if they ever did say *this and this* then i would say they are separate requirements.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:14 PM, TrueMandalorian said:

As Lyianx said above, I hope FFG has learned from the past and deliberately avoids the wording given in the question. If it were instead worded as, "if the target is in your [bullseye] at range 1," that would be clear that the target of this hypothetical ability must be in R1 of the bullseye arc. See Spacetug for an example of this wording:

Card_Pilot_164.png

Here's another possible example of R1, and also bullseye:

59d4a52e3a534dd090259bd5546e7bab.png

If the TIE in @Lyianx's example were attacking with an Autoblaster it would get to roll 4 dice by starting with the base 2, adding 1 for range, and adding 1 more for the separate in bullseye condition. 

If you look at Concordia face off it says:

Concordia Faceoff: While you defend, if the attack range is 1 and you are in the attacker’s (Front Arc), change 1 result to an (evade) result.

This is a situation where the range and arc are measured differently. A good example would a ship with a turret pointing sideways and a Fang fighter angled on the corner etween the side and front arc.  So measuring from the turret to the closest point in arc is range 1, but the fang fighter is in the front arc at range 2.  Concordia would still trigger since both the range 1 requirement and the front arc requirement are met.  I think this is the only example I can think of where the wording separates the range and arc requirement from each other though.