Sign in to follow this  
ApatiA22

Treasure from the past

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you for one thing. Players found old ship from Clone Wars with some of Republic Credits on board. Under Imperial rule there are Imperial Credits. But both of them were issued by same Galactic Bank.

What do you think about their worth? Will they be accepted or they need to be exchanged? If so, at what rate?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you
Peter

According to Wookieepedia, they're the same thing.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Credit

What you're thinking is basically that the Empire would change currencies after they got into power.

But that makes no sense. The only thing that was changed was the public nickname for credits. It used to be called "republic credits" and then they were called "imperial credits". But the proper name was galactic credits.

They didn't change the credits just because the power was shifted from republic to dictatorship.

You could have a little fun with this if your players expect some reward from the find.

I'd reason that older-issue credits are immediately and imperatively exchanged by any authority notable enough for direct influence from the Empire. You could add a political twist here by conveying a rate lower than 1:1, opening the door to sale as minor collector's items -- whether material or philosophical -- to third parties.

6 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

According to Wookieepedia, they're the same thing.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Credit

What you're thinking is basically that the Empire would change currencies after they got into power.

But that makes no sense. The only thing that was changed was the public nickname for credits. It used to be called "republic credits" and then they were called "imperial credits". But the proper name was galactic credits.

They didn't change the credits just because the power was shifted from republic to dictatorship.

Well, according to that source it isn't correct entierely: 

"Following the advent of the Galactic Empire, credits from the time of the Galactic Republic eventually became mostly worthless.[12] "

So I believe convertion rate is valid in this case. And I believe 1:10 sounds about fair. 

What are your thoughts about that? 

They would be worth the material needed to make them minus whatever profit margin a purchaser would want to make. Republic Credits were in circulation for 1000 years so I'd imagine that they're so ubiquitous as to be basically worthless after only 20-ish years. Plus, money is only worth whatever the government says its worth; that's the point of using an abstract measurement of wealth, like currency, and it's why governments print money.

19 hours ago, ApatiA22 said:

Well, according to that source it isn't correct entierely: 

"Following the advent of the Galactic Empire, credits from the time of the Galactic Republic eventually became mostly worthless.[12] "

So I believe convertion rate is valid in this case. And I believe 1:10 sounds about fair. 

What are your thoughts about that? 

"Eventually" became "mostly" worthless. 

Simple economics requires the Empire allow a 1:1 exchange on Republic credits for at least a time to avoid crashing all the markets. Otherwise you're kill off the entire galaxy's savings in one go. So logically there'd be a set sunset date on Republic Credits as legal tender. Indeed that date could be part of the next adventure as maybe it's coming up and the players need to get to a specific bank to get the exchange done before a certain time to get the credits exchanged at full value.

Even then specific planets and sectors would still use them till they wore out, much like many countries in the real world use US currency unofficially in place of the local currency. Ecuador for example has it's own currency, but lots of people still use US dollars, and tourists are encouraged to bring new US dollars and expect wore out ones as change to help replenish the local supply.

Only example I can think of of a currency being switched over super-fast and invalidating the previous currency was North Korea, but that was a unique situation where they were doing something rather specific.