Cuz05

So v1s are HS legal now.

2 hours ago, Schanez said:

1. TIE Reaper - Captain Feroph: Darth Vader, 0-0-0, Intimidation (69 points, 4 damage for half)
  2. Tie Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Instinctive Aim, Cluster Missiles, Fire Control System (43 points, 2 damage for half)
  3. Tie Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Instinctive Aim, Cluster Missiles, Fire Control System (43 points, 2 damage for half)
  4. Tie Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Instinctive Aim, Cluster Missiles, Fire Control System (43 points, 2 damage for half)

I think you have some definite potential there, but I'd make a few changes.

I'd be extremely wary of throwing the Reaper in faces with that many points attached to it. That build will make a mess of something If you do, but then it will die, unless you're lucky. If you do want to use it this way, try slimming it down to just Vader and take Vermeil instead. 

0-0-0 is a great card to fly with a Vermeil Vader, certainly an option if there's points for it. I'd only take it if you have them spare, because these points are definitely going to explode.

Intimidation did occur to me when I started building for the Reaper, and Vermeil in particular, but I think it's too obvious a ploy. It will very likely be avoided and exploded before making an impact.

I love Feroph though, he's surprisingly resilient, which makes it easier to get value from him. I would hang him back a little, as bait/area control/mop up. Use his coord to Supernatural an Inq for the 1st couple turns, enable the net.

If you're being more cautious with Feroph, then you can afford to put a bit more on him. 7th Sister or Palpatine crew, for 2 force and some powerful effects will make him a big target, but a great ship. Lots of good options here for Imperials. I'd still be inclined to spend it on the Inqs though.

Note that the Reaper is relatively simple to launch at foes for brief chaos, but a lot harder to actually get a decent return from in its own right. Make sure you practice moving it around a table so you become familiar with the spaces it needs and the stress timing of its manoeuvres and actions.

Inqs with Clusters and Passive/Instinctive Aim is something I defintely feel is worth exploring. Theoretically, you'll never overkill with the missiles. You can fire with the 1st, splash attack with that one and give yourself full info on where your next double attack is best placed. 

FCS is a great card for 2pt but with Instinctive Aim, you have some clear redundancy. Either you go for the locks to make use of FCS, or you focus for mods in place of the force when you use IA. It is however, a very cheap way to field them, with some nice flexibility, so you can afford to be a little more cavalier with them and more cagey with the Reaper.

Personally, I think i fancy Passive Sensors and Heightened Perception all round....

Your biggest threat is going to be aces that can skip all your firing arcs and make a meal out of your short lived ships. PS and HP, and a lurking Vader crew, will give them big headaches in the planning phase.

Ultimately, I think there's a lot of nice options here and it's a very fun combination of ships. Testing them is going to be the best way to find what angles you like most.

Good luck :)

Edited by Cuz05

16 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

I think you have some definite potential there, but I'd make a few changes.

(...)

Ultimately, I think there's a lot of nice options here and it's a very fun combination of ships. Testing them is going to be the best way to find what angles you like most.

Good luck :)

Well, I have no idea how it will fly, as I don't own the ships yet. I am talking with my cousin to test it. He is like... More into the game and for much longer. Will be going to USA for the tournament there. But I digress.

My other idea, was to roll this:

1. TIE Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Brilliant Evasion, Fire Control System, Cluster Missiles (45 points total, 2 for half)
  2. TIE Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Brilliant Evasion, Fire Control System, Cluster Missiles (45 points total, 2 for half)
  3. TIE Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Brilliant Evasion, Fire Control System, Cluster Missiles (45 points total, 2 for half)
  4. TIE Reaper - Major Vermeil: Predator/Outmaneuver, ISB Slicer, Agent Kallus (59/63 points total, 4 for half)

The way I think it would work, is that Inquisitors can compete for the center of the board with Vermeil hugging the border. He can either turn to engage Aces trying to fight the Inquisitors or present himself as a target for a trap. With Predator you have a 6 points bid, with Outmaneuver a 2 point one. It is not much, but something. You can drop Jam to trigger Major Vermeil and have the ISB Slicer potentially keep it for the next turn.

YASB 2.0

It is just my wild theorycrafting, as this is how I learn a system. My experience so far is mostly Gold Squadron Podcast and my own Tie/ln swarm flying.

EDIT:

For Aces dodging arcs, I guess you could substitute one Cluster Missiles for Ion Missiles? And hopefully have them forced into a 1 Straight on the following turn.

Edited by Schanez

32 minutes ago, Schanez said:

For Aces dodging arcs, I guess you could substitute one Cluster Missiles for Ion Missiles? And hopefully have them forced into a 1 Straight on the following turn.

I don't think you'll ever reliably Ion an ace with the missiles, they're quite bad on the whole. I did take 2 shields off Kylo last night with a single Conc, so it can happen, and will be clutch if it does, (he would have been nailed to the wall next turn and basically ended the contest on the 1st engage). But it's a big gamble and costs you significant firepower when dealing with beefier lists.

The best thing is to simply cast a wide net or predict their move and block them with one of your ships, all 4 are very good blockers.

Not sure I'd bother with a talent on Vermeil, he doesn't get a lot of value from them, generally.

Outmanoeuvre is a good tool for persuading enemies to head in certain directions but at 6pt, you really want it on something that's going to get to use it a lot.

Predator would not be bad if you're facing enemies up, which you often will be, but again, it's not something you'll likely trigger often enough to consider a worthy spend. 2pt is good value if you only get 1 or 2 extra hits from it though.

I think finding an extra point or 2 for something like Shield Upgrade or 0-0-0 would give you a much better return on the whole.

Slicers, I haven't used, so can't comment. I did take Kallus on Vermeil to a store tourney once, but I didn't use it very effectively. Felt like it could be worth inclusion, but it needed to be quite smartly leveraged. I'm not entirely sure how :D

Brilliant Evasion, I've seen it used on Vader to reasonable effect but honestly, I think it's horrendously overpriced. Particularly with 3 of them. 3x Foresight could be a genuine contender for the slot, along with IA and HP.

If you have spare points swilling around though, SNR is pure gold on them at 8pt. Comparing the 6pt Evasion to the value there is actually laughable. That would require a very slim Reaper though, to the point where it may not be worth taking. Nevertheless, an I1 with Seventh Sister crew is something I'd like to test myself. At this point, I don't know if it's a good 50pt or not....

On 9/19/2019 at 1:39 PM, Cuz05 said:

(35) Inquisitor [TIE Advanced v1]
(8) Supernatural Reflexes
(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(67) Darth Vader [TIE Advanced x1]
(13) Precognitive Reflexes
(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 190

Took this to the UK Squadron Championship yesterday and won 2 out of the 3 games I played with it. Making it 4 wins out the last 5. A marked improvement on the 1-3 it kicked off with!

The loss, vs 4 named N-1s with a pair of ProTorps, could have gone either way on the final dice rolls, although my opponent had a slight edge on the odds and overall deserved the win.

Vader one shotting a full health Padme was..... feelings.

main-qimg-9fa39e31d43c42538db845552a8c8a

The other 2 games, Fenn/Guri and 5x CLT Jedi, were a bit of a walkover, with a fair amount of luck and flakiness involved. Nevertheless, when you're often having to spend locks with FCS equipped, you know your luck is not that out of order.

I don't know that the list is top tables.... though I dont see why not. I've seen several people with Soontir in for one of the Inqs now, which seems like it may have more going for it.

But still, I'm happy with the Inqs operating as a pair, making room for Vader, splitting and working interchangeably when damage starts going through. They're obviously much less prone to be being one shotted when caught, allowing an extra touch of aggression all round, when needed. 

It's not tremendously easy to judge the correct measure of offensive pressure though. All 3 are clearly very dependent on locks and the 2 I3s are often moving early in the Init order.

Vader cannot cope with multiple shots and will go down fast if exposed. 2 dice at R3 chopping 26pt off an Inq who's grabbing a lock is not uncommon.... You can't count on greens and focus mods to keep you safe.

When you need to disengage, they can all do so with great aplomb, but it can be tricky to turn and reengage with SuperInqs at times, without stressing, turning into trouble, or making dangerous sacrifices on your action economy.

Precog felt more valuable this time round. Getting used to the timing, mitigating the restrictions and costs is taking me some practice. It is no Supernatural.

Granting access to pre-boosts, while shutting off non-repositions, it's starting to feel more reasonably costed, compared to Advanced Sensors. The boost is a huge tool. Most importantly, leaving the sensor slot free for FCS, to keep the mods going, is massive.

It's a great knife edge to walk with this squad, extremely tactical and always on the brink of swinging massively.

When Vader suddenly decides to go all Rogue One, it's glorious.

vader-best-rogue-onejpg.jpeg?rect=151,0,

Edited by Cuz05

You could maybe do an Inquisitor Squadron with following:

1. TIE Advanced/X1 - Darth Vader: Hate, Fire Controll System, Proton Rockets, Afterburners
  2. TIE Advanced/V1 - Seventh Sister: Hate
  3. TIE Reaper - Major Vermeil - ISB Slicer, Grand Inquisitor

Technically Vader with Afterburners and his Force into Actions can reposition like mad and aim the bullseye. Vermail is a very big no fun zone to anything in range 0-2 of him, that makes a maneuver, as he can use the Force to immedietly apply a Jam, leaving his action for a Focus or Coordinate. And Seventh Sister is just there to be a nuisance. You could maybe drop the Proton Rockets for Cluster Missiles on Vader and a second set on Seventh Sister. But she would have to get Lock for that.

EDIT:

Alternatively go with Vader (Hate, FCS, Clusters, Afterburners), Seventh Sister (Hate, FCS) and Vermeil (Grand Inquisitor, Informant). Whoever gets within 0-2 to Vermail will have a very bad time due to Jams and he can drop the Listening Device on the biggest attack threat of the enemy, creating a "Screw you specifically!!!" zone around himself.

Edited by Schanez

VaderMaarekInquisitors_GS

(32) Baron of the Empire [TIE Advanced v1]
(2) Fire-Control System

(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(46) Maarek Stele [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 200

I just wanted 4 ships.  Get locks and hold onto them with FCS.  Block with the Inquisitors...

Or...

VaderMaarekInquisitors2_GS

(4) Foresight

(7) Snap Shot

(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(1) Marksmanship

Possibly get two attacks per round with the Inquisitors (Fore/Snap).  Although I think that I would want 1st player so that I could fore/snap before they get their “after you execute maneuver” ability.

Edited by pakirby

2 hours ago, pakirby said:

VaderMaarekInquisitors2_GS

(4) Foresight

(7) Snap Shot

(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(1) Marksmanship

Hrm. Points are exceptionally tight here, I'm not sure if that restricts the ships too much. Maarek will miss FCS hugely, I'd be tempted to switch it from Vader to him. But Vader is the star, he will pull his weight as is. So....

For the v1s, I think I'd go with 2x Foresight Inqs. Not convinced just 1 of each bonus attack will make much of an impact. However, the Inq can take an evade action for a decent pair of mods and make use of the Foresight attack as a primary. Makes him a smart little ship, even if the bonus attack ends up adding little.

The idea of 1 SuperInq and a Baron does amuse me.... If only for the confusion of your opponents when they mix the 2 up and see what they thought was a Baron go squiggling away into a blind spot :D

Also... If you want double mods on Inquisitors, you could do something like... Four times TIE Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Supernatural Reflexes, Fire Control System, Homing/Cluster Missiles. Technically you can spend the Force to do a Barrel Roll > Red Focus into Blue maneuver and Evade/Target Lock without suffering any damage, due to having both Roll and Boost on your action bar. Each ship is 50 points so no bid. I think it would be quite mobile and very good at holding and wiggling in the center of the map.

2 hours ago, Schanez said:

Also... If you want double mods on Inquisitors, you could do something like... Four times TIE Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Supernatural Reflexes, Fire Control System, Homing/Cluster Missiles. Technically you can spend the Force to do a Barrel Roll > Red Focus into Blue maneuver and Evade/Target Lock without suffering any damage, due to having both Roll and Boost on your action bar. Each ship is 50 points so no bid. I think it would be quite mobile and very good at holding and wiggling in the center of the map.

If you hadn't noticed, I've basically been spamming this thread with SuperInq builds and tales :D

They've been pretty much my jam for the last few months, at least.

I always check my opponent is familiar with how they operate before every game, since it's one thing to know, but quite another to witness on the table.

I much prefer to whizz through their activations, it saves an enormous amount of faff. But when I suddenly perform 2 manoeuvres and 3 actions with one ship, I've had the odd opponent, having said 'Yes, I understand SNR, on with it', stop and do a double take....

It's a fantastic build. However, while 2 has proven to be a great squad element for me, I'm not wholly convinced more is particularly good. I've not tried more than 2, but I have spent a fair bit of time thinking on it and seeing how they've been getting on in other hands, now it's becoming more widespread.

In my experience, if you allow a SuperInq to take more than a few shots during a game, his dice will fail and he will die. They get halved with variance regularly, and a 2hp Inq will get Init killed in a heartbeat. You need space and distraction to pull the damaged one out and cycle him back into relevance.

2 with a heavy hitter, you can fade in and out and keep squirrelly, with the big guy acting as a focus, limiting the shots they face and making the most of their ability to fling themselves around or sit tight.

With 3 or 4 Supers, you lack a big durable gun and therfore don't have the same kind of agency to dictate play, while drawing and avoiding fire. 1 of the Inqs is likely getting caught and killed early, leaving the squad as a whole seriously outgunned and/or out-aced.

This is the exact same problem most of the 4x Interceptor style lists have. They're just not cheap or numerous enough, when built that way, to be used sacrificially. They suffer hugely when 1 goes down and they go down easy to focus fire or heavy hitting aces.

However, 4x Crack Vipers has done well. 4x SuperInq is capable of similar shenanigans, waiting in advantageous board space for the engage and being able to shift unpredictably when it comes. So I wouldn't totally rule out a skilled player being able to leverage that....

The Crack Viper has 3 red dice naturally and the ability to cancel an evade though. With the Inqs needing a lock and Passive+Missile pushing it up to 51, they just don't have the same immediate punch. That leaves them open to the almost guaranteed green dice fail when fired upon. 1 less hitpoint can be a big factor there too.

2 can get by on luck. 4 is asking an awful lot of the greens and low health.

Perhaps also worth noting that 4 Fangs is another exception that may prove the rule. It's unique in the way it behaves. R1= ridiculous, R2-3= likely dead.

When it comes to fielding 3 or 4 v1s, SNR is left at home, or at least limited to 2, in almost all the squads I've seen.

That's not to say it wouldn't be a **** of a fun squad to fly :)

Edited by Cuz05

I tried something silly last evening. Borrowed 3 V1s from a friend and a Tie Bomber. Fitted the V1s with Inquisitors (Super Reflexes, FCS and Homings) and the Bomber with a Captain Jonus (Adv.Proton and Munitsions Failsafe). It's a no bid build, that worked wonders against a private tournament of Aces lovers.

I stuck together, used the agility of Inquisitors to threaten a lot of approach vectors and made those squishy Aces go pop pop pop. A "Duches" caught in the Homing Missiles range drops to 1 hp, if the enemy decided to not risk more damage. Suntir Fel just went "kawabanga" and got oneshoted. Anakin and Obi'Wan were a bigger problem, but Ric Ollie went into range one and ate 5 hits from Adv. Proton Torps.

I had a lot of fun with this hilarious four ship swarm. Not that I would advise it in a tournament or anything. Although with the CIS Swarms... 6 rocket attacks at range 3 with 2 rerolls on each... Potent.

Pondering flying two SuperInqs on the weekend for a Hyperspace Trial:

Inquisitor (35)
Supernatural Reflexes (8)
Fire-Control System (2)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Soontir Fel (53)
Predator (2)

“Duchess” (42)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I entirely agree with @Cuz05's comment about the SuperInqs lacking punch and suffering from dice variance. The problem is, in Hyperspace, the Empire really don't have anything 'tanky' to fill out the rest of the list. Here, I'm using Soontir and Duchess to bolster a pair of them. Duchess being naturally unpredictable should play well with the SuperInqs doing the same, and Soontir can ace about the place.

A (silly) alternative would be this: 

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)

“Howlrunner” (40)
Crack Shot (1)

“Scourge” Skutu (32)
Crack Shot (1)

“Mauler” Mithel (32)
Crack Shot (1)
Total: 197

Here, the SuperInqs lose their missiles (boo!), but gain three I5 TIEs (yay?). Tactically, the three TIEs go in the centre while the SuperInqs go on the flanks. No idea if this would be any good, though, as the danger is the TIEs getting themselves killed for little gain leaving me with not much firepower at all.

58 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Soontir Fel (53)
Predator (2)

“Duchess” (42)
Total: 199

Ok, you got me. This is one of those lists that instantly excites me and has me convinced that, if I can fly this right, I'll be literally unbeatable :D

Tempted to drop everything on my plate atm and just have a go with it.

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

A (silly) alternative would be this: 

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)

Inquisitor (35)
Fire-Control System (2)

“Howlrunner” (40)
Crack Shot (1)

“Scourge” Skutu (32)
Crack Shot (1)

“Mauler” Mithel (32)
Crack Shot (1)
Total: 197

Here, the SuperInqs lose their missiles (boo!), but gain three I5 TIEs (yay?). Tactically, the three TIEs go in the centre while the SuperInqs go on the flanks. No idea if this would be any good, though, as the danger is the TIEs getting themselves killed for little gain leaving me with not much firepower at all.

Not a V1 Squad, but I am planning to fly Vader (FCS + Afterburners) and those 3 Tie/ln with Juke against my friends this week. And honestly, the only "tanky" thing I could think of for the Empire would be maybe a Vader with Hate?

38 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Ok, you got me. This is one of those lists that instantly excites me and has me convinced that, if I can fly this right, I'll be literally unbeatable :D

Tempted to drop everything on my plate atm and just have a go with it.

Well, that's a vote of confidence I can get behind! Now, if I can overcome my tendency to get Soontir blown up in silly circumstances, I will be UNBEATABLE!

30 minutes ago, Schanez said:

Not a V1 Squad, but I am planning to fly Vader (FCS + Afterburners) and those 3 Tie/ln with Juke against my friends this week. And honestly, the only "tanky" thing I could think of for the Empire would be maybe a Vader with Hate?

I did consider Vader, but I couldn't get him to fit with SuperInqs. Personally, I'd not run Juke TIEs; I tried it in the past, and the action economy just isn't there, and for the cost, you could likely fit another fighter into the list.

38 minutes ago, Schanez said:

It changes the dynamic just a little, but the Decimator is hyper-legal now :D

But yeah, small base, Hate Vader is the one. Avoid rolling blank greens and he's a tank. Just a bit of a moody one on the dice....

Feroph can do some tanking too, mind you.

Not masses of options on that front though.

7 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Now, if I can overcome my tendency to get Soontir blown up in silly circumstances...

This is the conclusion such things tend to lean towards with me too :D

My problem is, that I only have 1 TIE ADV X1 and like 7 TIE LNs. I am planning to expand, but doing it slowly as I learn the game mechanics. My eyes are on the V1s now, as I really want to fly me some Imperial Force Users.

I want to try next a Darth Vader (Hate + FCS), two SuperInquisitors and a naked "Dutchess". It's not... Great and has no bid. But ah well... I have noe experience flying those, so we will see.

On my to buy list is an Interceptor for sure.

EDIT:

Maybe two Inquisitors (SupReflexes + FCS + Concussion), Suntir Fel (Crack) and "Dutchess" (Crack)? Mobile and hard to pinpoint your ships.

Edited by Schanez

33 minutes ago, Schanez said:

My problem is, that I only have 1 TIE ADV X1 and like 7 TIE LNs. I am planning to expand, but doing it slowly as I learn the game mechanics. My eyes are on the V1s now, as I really want to fly me some Imperial Force Users.

I want to try next a Darth Vader (Hate + FCS), two SuperInquisitors and a naked "Dutchess". It's not... Great and has no bid. But ah well... I have noe experience flying those, so we will see.

On my to buy list is an Interceptor for sure.

EDIT:

Maybe two Inquisitors (SupReflexes + FCS + Concussion), Suntir Fel (Crack) and "Dutchess" (Crack)? Mobile and hard to pinpoint your ships.

I like the Soontir/Duchess/2xSuperConcInqs (hence my list above), but Soontir and Predator go together like.....two things which always go together.

9 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

I like the Soontir/Duchess/2xSuperConcInqs (hence my list above), but Soontir and Predator go together like.....two things which always go together.

Well you can drop missiles for Predator on both Soontir Fel and Dutchess as well as maybe Afterburners or something.

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

But... But... So do Duchess and Predator!

I quite like the double crack idea but I think you get much better endgame potential with Pred Soonts.

Unless he explodes.

TIE Advanced x1 - •Darth Vader - 83
    •Darth Vader - Black Leader (67)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Afterburners (6)
        Hate (3)

TIE Advanced v1 - •Grand Inquisitor - 60
    •Grand Inquisitor - Master of the Inquisitorious (52)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Instinctive Aim (1)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Ved Foslo - 53
    •Ved Foslo - Ambitious Engineer (45)
        Marksmanship (1)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Cluster Missiles (5)

Total: 196/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Vader's Inquisition

(6) Concussion Missiles

(6) Concussion Missiles

(47) Captain Feroph [TIE Reaper]

(3) Passive Sensors

Total points: 199

Although i would prefer something more like this

(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(47) Captain Feroph [TIE Reaper]
(14) Darth Vader
(4) Shield Upgrade

(2) Fire-Control System

InquisitorVaderDuchessAdvanced_GS_924

(6) Afterburners

(42) "Duchess" [TIE/sk Striker]

(38) Tempest Squadron Pilot [TIE Advanced x1]
(3) Passive Sensors

18 minutes ago, pakirby said:

InquisitorVaderDuchessAdvanced_GS_924

(6) Afterburners

(42) "Duchess" [TIE/sk Striker]

(38) Tempest Squadron Pilot [TIE Advanced x1]
(3) Passive Sensors

The SNR trick is fun but 2 reds get evaded frequently

Maybe no missile approach... But as @parkiby said, 2 reds get evaded frequently. My 6 TIE/LN swarm experience confirms such. Still...

1. Seventh Sister - Predictive Shot and Fire Control System
  2. Inquisitor - Supernatural Refleces and Fire Control System
  3. Inquisitor - Supernatural Refleces and Fire Control System
  4. Vizier - Grand Inquisitor and Informant/Agent Kallus/Shield Upgrade/ISB Slicer

Or you could upgrade Vizier to Captain Feroph and grab Elusive? Lots of your maneuvers are red so it could potentially proc a lot.