Cuz05

So v1s are HS legal now.

Be prepared! They will come unexpectedly!

As something of a suddenly meta ship, (who knew?!), I expect to see a lot more of these at HS events. Which is a shame, because I've been special snowflaking them for a while....

But it's also great, because I don't like leaving home without them, and HS is still a thing I sometimes do.

So I'm curious where people are going with this addition, let's see some ideas.

I've heard on the grapevine that one of our relatively local International X Wing Superstars has taken to a Super, FCS, Conc Inq alongside Vader and Soontir. This strikes me as a fine thing, it's a very similar trio to past Extended squads of my own. A clear sub for Duchess, archetype wise. Pretty sure he's gonna kick some tail with it.

Another local has apparently begun fielding 4 SuperConcs, 2 with FCS. I'm interested to see how this goes, it never seemed to pick up any traction in Extended, following the update.

Personally, I posted a Reaper build in the relevant thread, a pair of SuperConcs with Duchess and a SBP. Possibly get around to trying that.... Squishy but fun.

This wknd, instead of the above, I took Precog, Afterburners, FCS Vader with the Inq duo, at 190.

Came out 1-3, but it played really well. Got kinda harshly paired against a couple of locals who hit up international cuts and HS trial wins. Gave both very good games and was unfortunate to be edged out, after opening on the front foot.

3rd loss was more disappointing, some horrendous green dice that laughed in the face of average variance and piles of mods, tipping me from win condition to sudden point haemorrhage. A good game though.

Phasma crew is not good news. Especially if you assume her text wrongly. There were complications :D

It did all give me a window to the squads weakness, Vader does not fortress 88pt terribly well 🤣

As for the other builds and pilots... I believe people also use them occasionally..... After this wknds tourney is done, I shall be experimenting with them for the next HS that rolls around.

Grand Inq is apparently not dead.

Seventh Sister is awesome, although no one ever seems to go there. Not even me atm, tbf. Big fan.

Even the Baron can do stuff. Although you're obviously going to spend 2pt for the force token. You're not a mentalist.

(5 Snap Shot Barons anyone? Has to be done.)

Let's see your lists. Give us a rundown of what and why :)

No Jendon 😮

Edited by Cuz05
I literally cannot wait for 5th Brother.

A friend of mine runs 4 generic Inquisitor V1s with Supernatural Reflexes, FTC & Homing Missiles. At 50 points each, they're squirrelly as all **** and are double modded, usually focus & evade, every turn. Their one weakness is needing to be at range 1 to push damage through.

Edited by T70 Driver

I got a pair and the meta seems to want to use triplets but I did muse on this: 

Inquisitor (35)
Foresight (4)
Passive Sensors (3)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Inquisitor (35)
Foresight (4)
Passive Sensors (3)
Concussion Missiles (6)

Darth Vader (67)
Hate (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Afterburners (6)
Total: 174

Either drop to Maarek or wiggle something, somewhere. Ideally a 2x X1, 2x V1 list seems good in my head. And I can generally fly X1s to great effect. But needs a fourth gun in there somewhere. If foresight shots strip shields, then the x1 shot and concussion follow-ups are going hurt stuff. I like Foresight though a heck of a sight better than Snap Shot though. no mods is pretty bad for how expensive it is. 

At the Bellevue/Seattle Hyperspace Trial yesterday, I played against a list with 5 Inquisitors, 4 with Foresight and 1 with Sense.  Until that game I didn't think much about Foresight due to the bullseye arc requirement, but when you mass enough of them together... it's scary.

Also, Foresight's ability to turn 1 Focus result to a hit for free, and the option to use it for both regular as well as bonus attacks, allowed the Inquisitors to put out consistent damage while holding on to their Force + Evade (the action they took by default unless threatened) and made them very hard to damage.

Edited by bitsai

9 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Even the Baron can do stuff. Although you're obviously going to spend 2pt for the force token. You're not a mentalist.

(5 Snap Shot Barons anyone? Has to be done.)

The Baron is nice, but you're paying 3 points for a force charge....which is an amazing deal. The only reason to take the Baron, therefore, is to fit an extra platform in the squad (at least to me).

32 points is a great price point because it means if you take a 1 point talent, you cost 33 points - the maximum value where you can field 6 ships in a squad.

Barons of the Empire with Crack Shot or Ruthless look like they have some legs. Ruthless is especially tempting because it makes most sense at range 1 (where it can reliably turn 2 hits into 3), which is where the TIE/v1 wants to be, and because 6 x TIE/v1 actually has as many hit points as 8 x TIE/ln (6x4 instead of 3x8) - so you have the hit points to burn if you can inflict damage on evasive targets.

3 hours ago, bitsai said:

At the Bellevue/Seattle Hyperspace Trial yesterday, I played against a list with 5 Inquisitors, 4 with Foresight and 1 with Sense.  Until that game I didn't think much about Foresight due to the bullseye arc requirement, but when you mass enough of them together... it's scary.

Also, Foresight's ability to turn 1 Focus result to a hit for free, and the option to use it for both regular as well as bonus attacks, allowed the Inquisitors to put out consistent damage while holding on to their Force + Evade (the action they took by default unless threatened) and made them very hard to damage.

I've been wondering about a mob with Foresight, but trading one out for Sense is a clever idea. It basically takes the guesswork out of laying those snapfire arcs down, and a TIE/v1 is a pretty darn manoeuvrable chassis, with boost/link/focus and barrel roll/link/focus. They're a very elegant equivalent to a heavy swarm of Calibrated Laser Targeting Jedi.

Alternatively, you can mix and match Foresight Inquisitors (free attacks in the bullseye arc at any range) and Snap Shot Barons of the Empire (free attacks across the whole firing arc at range 2), giving you a sort of 'net' of free attacks that covers quite a sizeable area of the board. Two of each and a Sense Inquisitor to give you the intel to line up the shots could be very hard to evade indeed.

9 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Be prepared! They will come unexpectedly!

Their chief weapons are surprise and fear, so I've heard.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The Baron is nice, but you're paying 3 points for a force charge...

3pt rather than 2, ofc. Still had 33pt Barons in mind.

I think it's more than possible that a Foresight/Snap v1 swarm will prove more deadly than Snap A Wings, of either flavour.

They don't quite have the same ability to perform a fighting retreat but they do have a few extra tools when engaging.

On the subject of snappy v1s, this intrigues me.

Fore!

(67) Darth Vader [TIE Advanced x1]
(5) Sense
(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(35) Inquisitor [TIE Advanced v1]
(4) Foresight

(4) Foresight

(4) Foresight

Total points: 197

I'm not really a fan of Sense, it removes some of my enjoyment in the game, so I would probably spend those points elsewhere, or bid, but I can't deny it's utility here.

21 hours ago, T70 Driver said:

and are double modded, usually focus & evade, every turn.

How do they get focus and evade nearly every turn? Assuming you mean force token for focus?

Wouldn't supernatural reflexes be pretty much wasted points in such a list of you're not using it?

1 hour ago, Sovoth said:

How do they get focus and evade nearly every turn? Assuming you mean force token for focus?

Wouldn't supernatural reflexes be pretty much wasted points in such a list of you're not using it?

Linked actions.  Supernatural boost/br, link to a focus, blue move to clear stress, then normal action.   The power lies in what those blue maneuvers are:  up to 3str forward, 1bank, and the all important 1 hard.  Knife fights like a champ.

Charred Earth

(5) Sense
(5) Cluster Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(5) Cluster Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(29) Scimitar Squadron Pilot [TIE/sa Bomber]
(8) Barrage Rockets

(8) Barrage Rockets

(8) Barrage Rockets

Total points: 200

I recently ran the following list, and it was a beast.

Inquisitor

-Sense

-FCS

-Cluster Missiles

47 pts

Inquisitor

-FCS

-Cluster Missiles

42 pts

Scimitar Squadron Pilot x3

-Barrage Rockets

37 pts each

200 pts total

6 hours ago, LeMightyASP said:

How about 4 inkys with foresight + Duchess? Personally, i like formations of 4 the best, and an ace lie Duchess seems like good filler

I would 2 snap and 2 foresight + duchess. more area denial. fly them so foresight ones are blockers and the snap ones are behind. 

Won a couple games with Precog Vader and the 2 SuperConcs last night. My awful dice run continues but clearly didn't hold me back too much, (and actually helped a lot when rolling for Emon Proxies, lol), suggesting the list is pretty good.

Which is this-

(8) Supernatural Reflexes
(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(67) Darth Vader [TIE Advanced x1]
(13) Precognitive Reflexes
(6) Afterburners
(2) Fire-Control System

(8) Supernatural Reflexes
(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 190

Precog and a 10pt bid is decent but I'm utterly unconvinced it's 23pt decent. He's great bait though and it's a hefty half points if you can keep him on the table at the end. Burden of execution is high though, all round. There's only so much squirrelling you can do, especially when the Inqs are often moving 1st.

I can imagine Sense on Vader would give you just as good a set of options but I don't know where you'd bother spending the leftover points without changing the ships :D

Fully Armed & Operational 

(53) Soontir Fel [TIE Interceptor]
(2) Predator

(76) Rear Admiral Chiraneau [VT-49 Decimator]
(14) Darth Vader
(3) Shield Upgrade
(4) Dauntless

(43) Seventh Sister [TIE Advanced v1]
(5) Sense

Total points: 200

Giving Seventh Sister some much needed time here. Went 5-0 with this before she was hyper legal. Was running Duchess instead. 

2 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Giving Seventh Sister some much needed time here. Went 5-0 with this before she was hyper legal. Was running Duchess instead. 

Have you given it table time with 7Sis yet?

I have tried Sense on her in a game, (against triple Jedi), and found her an excellent carrier for it. Being free at R1, where she wants to be, is the clincher. She's very good at drawing the opponent to her and then handling the attention, by being sneaky with the Sense info, rather than being particularly tanky. Makes for a very cheap and useful 3rd ship, with a couple of beasty mates.

In my case, that was Vader and Echo. Informing Echo's decloaks was so mind-melting for both of us, I decided against flying it again :D

4 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Have you given it table time with 7Sis yet?

I have tried Sense on her in a game, (against triple Jedi), and found her an excellent carrier for it. Being free at R1, where she wants to be, is the clincher. She's very good at drawing the opponent to her and then handling the attention, by being sneaky with the Sense info, rather than being particularly tanky. Makes for a very cheap and useful 3rd ship, with a couple of beasty mates.

In my case, that was Vader and Echo. Informing Echo's decloaks was so mind-melting for both of us, I decided against flying it again :D

I haven’t played it yet, but I think she has potential. I’ll let you know!

I have been thinking of this list. But then... I am a starting player so I have no idea if it has potantial.

1. TIE Reaper - Captain Feroph: Darth Vader, 0-0-0, Intimidation (69 points, 4 damage for half)
  2. Tie Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Instinctive Aim, Cluster Missiles, Fire Control System (43 points, 2 damage for half)
  3. Tie Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Instinctive Aim, Cluster Missiles, Fire Control System (43 points, 2 damage for half)
  4. Tie Advanced/V1 - Inquisitor: Instinctive Aim, Cluster Missiles, Fire Control System (43 points, 2 damage for half)

Technically Inquisitors can throw lots of attacks against both Swarms and bundling together aces, but even a single target can take a lot of pain from them. Thanks to Instinctive Aim they are not limited to following the locked target, although it limits their Force usage, if you do swap targets.

Alternatively you could drop Intimidation and swap Fire Control System for Passive Sensors, saving Force for avoiding damage. You could drop the 2 point bid for Tactical Scrambler on the TIE Reaper, as it already wants to bump into things and be in the face as much as possible.

EDIT: a few typos

EDIT 2: YASB 2.0

Edited by Schanez