Sign in to follow this  
tundra2

what sound does a bolter make when firing?

as an over exuberant youngster (and more recently as a slightly deranged gamer) i would charge at my friends and use the classic "dakka, dakka, dakka" sound of (insert as appropriate) gpmg/sten gun/m16/ak47 etc etc etc... however when looking at the dynamics and mechanisims of the fabled 40k bolter i am somewhat at a loss as the sound it would make whilst firing... it is known that the bolter shell is a mini-missile which ignites and once in contact with the target explodes... so to throw the preverbal gauntlet would those who have a penchant for such thing please explain how such a weapon should sound...

I may be wrong, but I believe that it has been represented in the literature by the following:  CRUMP WHOOSH BOOM!

CRUMP representing the initial firing of the round

WHOOSH representing the self-propelling micro-rocket igniting, and

BOOM representing the impact and explosion of the mini-warhead

Hope that helps.  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Darkshroud said:

Ian Watson who wrote the Inquisition War was overly fond of them goingg RAAARRK WHOOSH POP!

Dam he wrote that way too often.

Quite right!  That's what it was.  *sighs*  It seems my memory is not what it used to be.  lengua.gif

I've always described them more as as Tha-boom sound as, in most situations, the bolt isn't going far enough for anyone to really pick up on the split-second whoosh sound of it in flight. Seeing as they move at bullet speeds, there doesn't seem to be much time to catch the sound of it in flight before it detonates in some poor schmuck unless it was a good long distance shot but in that situation you might not hear it initially firing all that well and only get a wha-boom. Adding in the whoosh sound when both detonation and firing points could be heard seems like you'd be slowing the speed of sound or the bolt down since it should probably be impacting and detonating about the time you're describing it's sound in flight.

Terelo said:

I personally prefer a CRUMP whoooooooosh BOOOOOOOOMMM!!!

Yeah, me too.  The whole RAAARRK thing sounds more like somethin' I would attribute to a Snazzgun, rather than a holy bolter.  gran_risa.gif

Actually the fun part about bolters (ok, one of MANY fun parts) is that they would make slightly different sounds depending on the target.

"soft" target:     CRACK-swoosh-splat-BOOMsplatter...

"hard" target:    CRACK-swoosh-ping-CRUMP!

Now rapid-fire that bad-boy!

And of course since about half a magazine of bolt rounds is about a month's pay for non-convict Guardsmen the shooter is either very skilled or very rich and well connected to boot, so odds are that most of those shots will be hits.  If the shooter has violet eyes or is a Space Marine then it is the last sound you will hear before some vital internal organs become external....  And mulch.

I pictured more of the sound like an Mk19. Actually Boltgun caliber is MUCH lower than that, more in line of a big version of the 50. cal. The sound of the bolt shells exploding would probably be fairly low compared to the sound of the gun firing.

In DoW2 it just sounds like a normal heavy  MGs.