Sign in to follow this  
P-47 Thunderbolt

Handicapping Your Character

I made a Jedi character for a campaign that begins just before Order 66 and continues on through. Because of needing to be in hiding and all, he wouldn't really be able to use his lightsaber and would probably have to use blasters or other weapons most of the time.

I decided to handicap him a little bit for RP purposes, and I didn't upgrade his Agility at all, instead going for Intellect, Willpower, Presence, and Brawn and investing in 2 ranks of Lightsaber even though I know that it will become a (mostly) useless skill. I like the idea of him having to work from a disadvantage for a while (though Dedication might increase his Agility as he uses it more often). One other reason to not give him Agility at Character Generation is that he only has ranks in two skills that uses Agility.

What are your opinions on the concept in general, and what are some examples of where you put this concept into practice?

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

I generally believe that characters should at least have a profession that the character can identify with strongly; I once had a guy roll up to the table with a guy who he sold to us as a underworld informant that could find us information. Turned out all the character was actually good for was using his ability to generate contacts and was like "well, I got a presence of 1, now bring in someone to talk to my contact." I never had so much whiplash in my life from a character not fitting his profession; instead he was good at combat, which is a great thing to have but it took me a long time to believe in anything in his character aside from "oh, yet another wilful force emergent."

This isn't to say having a character struggle isn't a bad thing, I've got a character who is significantly less durable then a lot of PC's whom have 9+ soak and various defences, while at best mine is 7 + setback dice, I would be bored if I didn't feel fearful walking into a combat encounter. But if a character isn't good at anything but a unadvertised capacity, it can be somewhat damaging to immersion if it turns out the character could have never passed for anything else. Tobin Stryder is a snarky machanic and conman wanted in several systems, but almost no one in the criminal underworld knows that he is a highly capable force emergent and genuine, bonified assassin. That makes dropping the veil between a portrayed persona and actual persona immensely satisfying when the character turns up to battle riding a bull rancor and it's pack.

The question I would ask you is threefold:

1) What is his advertised profession? Is the character any good at said profession compared to his actual profession?
2) What is his actual profession? Is this a skill that would be known about him or would it take some digging?
3) How has the character survived up to this point? What compromises did they have to make to get there?

This isn't to say you can't do misdirection; one person once played as a con-artist who was pretending to be a medic or fear the consequences the party would inflict on her for being a Hutt Spy, only to eventually take the medic passion to the next level and becoming pretty good. So being a Jedi and pretending to be someone else could be pretty satisfying to watch; provided the character is at least somewhat decent in their described area so that it isn't unbelievable they were found until this point. So what you described should be great! As long as you don't try to pass yourself off as a pilot. XD

9 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

So what you described should be great! As long as you don't try to pass yourself off as a pilot. XD

Well... Actually... He has 2 ranks in Piloting (Space), so he's not too bad.

10 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

1) What is his advertised profession? Is the character any good at said profession compared to his actual profession?

He more or less hides and lets other party members be the face of the group (Jedi-in-hiding-who-faked-his-own-death and all that), but the party (this is a prequel, so we have planned out the general path of the campaign already) become bounty hunters and he is their pilot as well as assisting in other ways (mechanics, computers, etc. [high Intellect]). The party knows who he is and his past though, just to be clear. This is more of a fish-out-of-water story where his skills lie in one area, and then he gets tossed into a new situation and needs to progress to fit the situation. Part of which is picking up relevant fighting skills (possibly with the non-career skill penalty [meaning I wouldn't buy a new spec]).

15 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

2) What is his actual profession? Is this a skill that would be known about him or would it take some digging?

Jedi Padawan during the Clone Wars more of a Mental Fortress/lightsaber combat oriented character. Like I said above, the party knows his past. He is now trying to fit his new role.

17 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

3) How has the character survived up to this point? What compromises did they have to make to get there?

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but he faked his own death to escape Order 66 and has to learn how to survive without the Jedi, on the run, in a role completely foreign to him.

The main reason I'm sort of handicapping the character is to play up the fish-out-of-water side of it.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a long response!

Before handicapping yourself too much at the start, I would advise a frank discussion with the GM about the anticipated frequency and amount of earned XP. Improvement can be a slow slog, one talent at a time, not to mention Force abilities.

Also, with Agility 2, the ranks in Piloting are probably an egregious waste.

Edited by Edgehawk

7 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Before handicapping yourself too much at the start, I would advise a frank discussion with the GM about the anticipated frequency and amount of earned XP. Improvement can be a slow slog, one talent at a time, not to mention Force abilities.

Already covered, we tend to be fairly generous with xp, 15-25 xp per session typically.

8 minutes ago, Edgehawk said:

Also, with Agility 2, the ranks in Piloting are probably an egregious waste.

Duly noted, but one more rank and you have a pool of YYG, which is pretty good, and if he intends to get better at piloting and he does it more often he might end up with a roll of YYGG (and that's without Dedication, which would likely go into Agility as he would start to use it more).

I am not a min-maxer in general, I prefer to base the skills off of what I think makes sense for the character to have, rather than just what is the most useful.

I'm not really seeing how he's handicapped. Brawn is the primary lightsaber skill se he's going to be fine when he needs to "whip it out".  The rest of his stats lend towards a more social character which is fine.  I've seen plenty of characters start with 2 green in more common combat skills. 

Force powers can also up agility if need be.

2 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

I'm not really seeing how he's handicapped. Brawn is the primary lightsaber skill se he's going to be fine when he needs to "whip it out".  The rest of his stats lend towards a more social character which is fine.  I've seen plenty of characters start with 2 green in more common combat skills. 

Force powers can also up agility if need be.

Yes, and he actually does have that upgrade now that I think about it, but he will very rarely be able to utilize his lightsaber and he has a base stat of GG for ranged attacks which would be the go-to "new" combat skill. And since he is more of a fighter character, that is a significant handicap.

The point of this thread wasn't really about my example, it was supposed to be about the general concept of handicapping a character.

I'm not a fan of handicapping for the sake of it, but I do think accepting limitations or less-than-optimal abilities to tell a better story is a great thing to do!

While I'm sure many here are sick of hearing about her, my "iconic" character has a very major handicap.  It's primarily a role-playing handicap, although it does play out in her stats as well.

She is a true pacifist (I usually say a "pathological pacifist").  She will not harm another person, and she doesn't like to associate with those who do.  And this is Star Wars!  WARS!  That's a tricky thing to navigate around, and makes playing her a real challenge sometimes.

Granted, she's in what is essentially a solo game; I wouldn't subject a party of fellow players to someone with that kind of restriction.  But that's the kind of handicapping I like - how does this character deal with this restriction?  What does that say about them, and what kind of story does it tell?

20 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

What are your opinions on the concept in general, and what are some examples of where you put this concept into practice?

Handicapping can be fun, and I really do like the story of your PC, but I have a feeling what you've set up may just lead to frustration.  It's really about the dice pool and how your PC plays along with the rest of the group as, because as interesting as your story might be, if the rest of the team carries you (or is constantly recovering from your failure), to @Absol197 's point they might not be so enthused.  From a purely mechanical point of view, if you're not bringing at least one die less to the pool than the other team members in the areas where you're supposed to be competent, they probably won't want you to touch anything.  And the GM can't just tailor the difficulties for you.

Keep in mind, 2 dice is crap, even if the challenge is Easy, because the GM may (should?) be applying setback.  YY is marginally much better than GG, the odds of success move minimally.  All the Y does is increase the odds of Advantage, and you get a chance at a Triumph.

That said, the Diplomat PC in one of my campaigns was actually pretty decent with a blaster, even though he only sported a base GG pool.  What made it work was his blaster was Accurate 1, and he would Aim as much as possible (spending extra Strain if necessary to get the second Aim).  The handicap here is sacrificing mobility for ability.  He didn't hit hard, but he hit enough to make a difference.

That said #2, I had a Weequay Enforcer set up to play in a rotating-GM campaign.  I left his Intellect at 1 because I liked the idea of him struggling with things like Knowledge Underworld, but eventually getting really good at it.  Also, he was the team medic...!...after chargen he started play with a single Y, which was pretty amusing to roleplay.  Still, he was really good at "enforcing", so it's not like he was really handicapped in his chosen role.

EDIT:  I guess what I'm getting at is, in general, handicapping might be more interesting (and more appealing to the other players) if it's a secondary role, not a primary role.

Edited by whafrog

Ever turn up to a game with a min-maxer?

The min-maxed character can't contribute anything to the group except under incredibly niche circumstances where they're game derailingly good.

It's annoying. It throws off the balance of the game. It's bad for the story.

A handicapped character is just as disruptive and frustrating for exactly the same reasons.

I beg you, make a character that fits the story your group is trying to tell. A character which is useful to pursuing the group's goals and helpful in advancing the story.

Playing a character that's deliberately bad is selfish.

I'm not saying "never play a Jedi who's reluctant to use their lightsaber". But please play a workable character that can help the group.

We are all cooperating to tell a certain story and all know where this is going, the character is going to be actively trying to work past his handicap so that he can contribute more effectively, and he starts out with decent dice pools in things that aren't really his focus, so he is also able to contribute in those ways as well.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:59 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I made a Jedi character for a campaign that begins just before Order 66 and continues on through. Because of needing to be in hiding and all, he wouldn't really be able to use his lightsaber and would probably have to use blasters or other weapons most of the time.

I decided to handicap him a little bit for RP purposes, and I didn't upgrade his Agility at all, instead going for Intellect, Willpower, Presence, and Brawn and investing in 2 ranks of Lightsaber even though I know that it will become a (mostly) useless skill. I like the idea of him having to work from a disadvantage for a while (though Dedication might increase his Agility as he uses it more often). One other reason to not give him Agility at Character Generation is that he only has ranks in two skills that uses Agility.

This is actually a great place to start a character.  A lot of systems have not only perks, but detrimental flaws that have to be selected also.  This gives the character....well, character.

Not everyone in a group has to be amazing at everything.  Most people aren't.  Most people aren't even good at one thing...just mediocre.  Your character is that.  He's mediocre at adventuring, and that's interesting because we rarely see it in RPGs.  Overcoming that adversity gives the character his own personal arc.

Give him something though.  If you only gives flaws, the character has nothing interesting.  I recently made a character that will be joining a high level group, so I have a lot of XP/cash to work with in order to fit into the group.  He has two bio-locked lightsabers disguised as religious prayer cylinders (metal cylinders with carved/inlaid religious text).  He is also very defensively built with a lot of parry and reflect along with non-restricted weaponry that lends to that (shield gauntlet and a melee weapon).  He has moderate characteristics (all 2s with a 3 in brawn) with some skill in melee and ranged light.  He carries a pistol for when he needs to do ranged attacks.  He's very good at lightsabers, but he can't use them as he'd be labeled a jedi and hunted.  He blends in as there is nothing outlandish about him.  No huge weapons, no massive set of armor.  In a fight he doesn't exactly kill people outright, but he can 'tank' a lot of attacks while taking little to no damage and he just kind of 'accidentally' kills/injures people through use of parry/deflect force skills.  In situations where he knows no witnesses will survive and there will be no evidence of his being a jedi...then the lightsabers come out and he really kicks some butt.

It makes for an interesting character.

As far as giving him a strong suit, I have given him 3 in Intellect as well as a rank in both Mechanics and Computers (and, I think, Medicine) so he can be a support character as he starts to get better at other things at really come into his own. I didn't make him useless as I knew he needed to be able to do stuff, his strengths just don't lie in combat (yet).

On 9/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

In general the frequently most important stats are brawn, agility, intellect and willpower.  For a face/scoundrel/smuggler  I would put 4 in agility 3 in cunning and presence 2's in every else.

I talked about this concept in a thread a while ago where you allow PCs to drop a stat below the standard stat block for the species, and give them extra XP as a bonus for doing so.   Many people were against the idea for fear of min/maxing on other stats, but I still like the idea.  

We aren't all cut from the same cloth, and it allows some great role playing and story opportunities. 

Does Genesys allow something similar? 

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

In general For combat,  the frequently most important stats are brawn, agility, intellect and willpower.  For a face/scoundrel/smuggler  I would put 4 in agility 3 in cunning and presence 2's in every else.

There, I fixed it for you.

I mean, not every character can be a min-maxed stat block *cough* I mean Pantoran, with a super convenient adoptive parent that explains away playing her as a straight up bluman, also conveniently flying the most outright mis-statted/broken ship in the game (excepting of course, the legendary C-Roc). *cough* ;)

Anyway @P-47 Thunderbolt, I don't see any problem with keeping a handicap at creation, especially with a XP generous game (the discrepancies should normalize after a few sessions).  I'd also allow you to drop one stat to one for a reduced amount of XP (maybe 10xp), but on a per-player basis with the understanding that it was for RP, and not so you could bump another stat higher at character creation. But that's just me.

That's at character creation. During the game, I'd expect you to be dropping XP into skills you actually use while adventuring. Not saying you can't, but it'd seem really strange to keep pouring XP into a "Mysterious Past". If you're dumping a ton of XP into it you could run into the issue @JohnDoe244 mentioned above. A character that has flaws/weaknesses is interesting. A character that can't do anything is cement shoes to a swimming party.

That being said, in your particular case, you might run into an issue where starting characters really can't emulate Jedi as shown in the source material. So you might have to spend a few sessions worth of XP into Force Powers, which, depending on the campaign, could lead to a really cool reveal when you suddenly have Force powers (if you haven't used them in the past). So YMMV.

I myself am thinking of rolling up a chadra-fan mechanic for my next game, and I'm toying the idea with keeping one of the starting 1's (but the hit to soak really hurts, and I don't want to play a pushover, so we'll see)

I spend earned xp based on what the character is using or trying to get better at. For the record, it is an advanced character with an extra 150 xp.

In my opinion, in general, it is good to keep the lowered stat for whatever species you're playing. Though, of course, if it makes sense from a story prospective to have a higher stat, go for it. As far as the Soak goes, there are a variety of ways to compensate for that and having a character who doesn't have a high resistance to damage, but wants to change that, could be interesting.

1 hour ago, oneeyedmatt87 said:

There, I fixed it for you.

I mean, not every character can be a min-maxed stat block *cough* I mean Pantoran, with a super convenient adoptive parent that explains away playing her as a straight up bluman, also conveniently flying the most outright mis-statted/broken ship in the game (excepting of course, the legendary C-Roc). *cough* ;)

Anyway @P-47 Thunderbolt, I don't see any problem with keeping a handicap at creation, especially with a XP generous game (the discrepancies should normalize after a few sessions).  I'd also allow you to drop one stat to one for a reduced amount of XP (maybe 10xp), but on a per-player basis with the understanding that it was for RP, and not so you could bump another stat higher at character creation. But that's just me.

That's at character creation. During the game, I'd expect you to be dropping XP into skills you actually use while adventuring. Not saying you can't, but it'd seem really strange to keep pouring XP into a "Mysterious Past". If you're dumping a ton of XP into it you could run into the issue @JohnDoe244 mentioned above. A character that has flaws/weaknesses is interesting. A character that can't do anything is cement shoes to a swimming party.

That being said, in your particular case, you might run into an issue where starting characters really can't emulate Jedi as shown in the source material. So you might have to spend a few sessions worth of XP into Force Powers, which, depending on the campaign, could lead to a really cool reveal when you suddenly have Force powers (if you haven't used them in the past). So YMMV.

I myself am thinking of rolling up a chadra-fan mechanic for my next game, and I'm toying the idea with keeping one of the starting 1's (but the hit to soak really hurts, and I don't want to play a pushover, so we'll see)

1)  the kst-100 *might* be the third most broken, off the top of my head the second is the mando super shuttle from friends like these, something like Ak'jor class.  There might be another 1 or 2 ships ahead of the kst-100 but I'd have to guy through a complete  ship  list to find them .  the primary problem I have with the kst-100 (a mis stat) is it's sil 3 instead of sil 4 but I don't consider it that big enough of a problem to ban the ship (I would ban the croc). The kst-100 has several suboptimal stats (weapon is light instead of medium, armor is 2 instead of 3, hyperdrive is slow, sensors are meh) but the mix is pretty good, and nothing on it is awful, and it has a base speed of 4 and that's uncommon if not rare.  Of course I love tricked out star ships so your mileage may vary.

2) power gamers work within the rules, munchkin try to rules lawyer to get something they want that's outside the rules.  There's no reason good roleplaying and power gaming can't coexist in the same character.

I'm not sure that optimizing for other than being a beast in personal scale combat counts as power gaming.  She was intended to be a fast gunslinger/good pilot though.

And I'm not sure the build was the single most efficient way of getting a force sensitive but otherwise stereotypical smuggler (pilot, gambler, gunslinger, conman/face), but single most efficient build does probably involve starting pantoran with the same statline.

Of course having a adoptive Corellian father was kind of central to the concept rather than being a convenient explanation.

Edited by EliasWindrider

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

1)  the kst-100 *might* be the third most broken, off the top of my head the second is the mando super shuttle from friends like these, something like Ak'jor class.  There might be another 1 or 2 ships ahead of the kst-100 but I'd have to guy through a complete  ship  list to find them .  the primary problem I have with the kst-100 (a mis stat) is it's sil 3 instead of sil 4 but I don't consider it that big enough of a problem to ban the ship (I would ban the croc). The kst-100 has several suboptimal stats (weapon is light instead of medium, armor is 2 instead of 3, hyperdrive is slow, sensors are meh) but the mix is pretty good, and nothing on it is awful, and it has a base speed of 4 and that's uncommon if not rare.  Of course I love tricked out star ships so your mileage may vary.

2) power gamers work within the rules, munchkin try to rules lawyer to get something they want that's outside the rules.  There's no reason good roleplaying and power gaming can't coexist in the same character.

I'm not sure that optimizing for other than being a beast in personal scale combat counts as power gaming.  She was intended to be a fast gunslinger/good pilot though.

And I'm not sure the build was the single most efficient way of getting a force sensitive but otherwise stereotypical smuggler (pilot, gambler, gunslinger, conman/face), but single most efficient build does probably involve starting pantoran with the same statline.

Of course having a adoptive Corellian father was kind of central to the concept rather than being a convenient explanation.

1. Oh man, you're right. Aka'jor is one broken piece of cheese. Seems like a strange choice to have a shuttle that does everything incredibly well except... transport people? I'll let kst be #3. It's a decent ship. Nothing crazy broken, except the sil is just outright wrong. So do you maintain that the Lambda Shuttle and the Sentinel Landing craft have the same passenger capacity, encumbrance, and cost? Because that's what my AOR core says.

Oh well. I guess it's better then the days when you used to recommend a Rarity 10 ship to every single person asking about starting ships... ;)

2. You're the only person I've seen using that hair-splitting distinction. Did you define it yourself?

I was just joking around because you clearly fall on the power gaming side of the table, to the extent that it seems like you may have not read the OP, or even the topic... as your advice (maximizing stats) was the exact opposite of the OP's point. I honestly don't mind you playing however you want to play. Your pantoran may have been a legit character, but it seems convenient that the one race that can start with 4 3 3 2 2 2 mysteriously ends up on your stat sheet. Especially since you recommend it in a large # of threads. Again, no offense was intended.

In the spirit of not thread-jacking (especially over such a silly exchange), if you wish to continue this discussion please PM me. I won't respond to this discussion in this thread, but if you wish to have the last word, you may. :)

On 9/16/2019 at 2:38 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yes, and he actually does have that upgrade now that I think about it, but he will very rarely be able to utilize his lightsaber and he has a base stat of GG for ranged attacks which would be the go-to "new" combat skill. And since he is more of a fighter character, that is a significant handicap.

The point of this thread wasn't really about my example, it was supposed to be about the general concept of handicapping a character.

Why not simply use melee or brawl weapons if you have a decent brawn score? It would make sense and that way you could still use parry, or reflect even if you GM allows it as long as you use a weapon using the lightsabre skill. Melee is pretty **** fun and also gives a pretty interesting character trait since it's harder and more dangerous than just blasting peeps.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Well... Actually... He has 2 ranks in Piloting (Space), so he's not too bad.

He more or less hides and lets other party members be the face of the group (Jedi-in-hiding-who-faked-his-own-death and all that), but the party (this is a prequel, so we have planned out the general path of the campaign already) become bounty hunters and he is their pilot as well as assisting in other ways (mechanics, computers, etc. [high Intellect]). The party knows who he is and his past though, just to be clear. This is more of a fish-out-of-water story where his skills lie in one area, and then he gets tossed into a new situation and needs to progress to fit the situation. Part of which is picking up relevant fighting skills (possibly with the non-career skill penalty [meaning I wouldn't buy a new spec]).

Jedi Padawan during the Clone Wars more of a Mental Fortress/lightsaber combat oriented character. Like I said above, the party knows his past. He is now trying to fit his new role.

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but he faked his own death to escape Order 66 and has to learn how to survive without the Jedi, on the run, in a role completely foreign to him.

The main reason I'm sort of handicapping the character is to play up the fish-out-of-water side of it.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a long response!

No worries. ^^ I mean if you though about it and your fellow players are fine keeping a mystery about your character then that's pretty awesome. Those are just the actions I ask myself at character creation to ensure that I have a fun time. 

Like I once started out as a an trandosian face of the party when playing as an alternative character; he wasn't the best social face in the game (90 starting xp doesn't really allow for that, so I went for an even 3 spread across cunning, will and presence.) but it was a really fun concept to play a big lizard man who believed himself to be an "Alpha" of trade, even though the parties social face who joined the party later was a better at the corc/presence role. That character found out his secret the hard way when she tried to kill him, he parried the blade and snapped it barehanded. Turns out the swagtastic trandosian was a martial artist and dispute being a double leg amputee, it proved to be a spectacularly hectic moment. It made a refreshing change from my gadgeteer/Assassin/Force Emergent/Artisan/Striker who could destroy in duels and build items barehanded, being the Lex Luthian Genius he was. Pity he was as charming as a barn door.

Have fun now!

13 hours ago, Andreievitch said:

I talked about this concept in a thread a while ago where you allow PCs to drop a stat below the standard stat block for the species, and give them extra XP as a bonus for doing so.   Many people were against the idea for fear of min/maxing on other stats, but I still like the idea.  

I allow this for humans, so long as the max in any other stat is a 4.  It's not really bonus XP for me, as I expect the XP to be spent on a stat.

The Genesys human templates have starting 1s and 3s in various stats, so it accomplishes the same thing.

On 9/15/2019 at 10:59 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Generally speaking I think this is a great thing to do. I think where you can get some issues with it is if the Gm or other players don't appreciate it, usually because they are mechanistic players and want to have optimal characters in the group. Also, once or twice I have had players do overzealous RP stuff with handicaps that gets old fast because they over do it. But I think any player willing to do this for the sake of story and who doesn't let it be a big problem is awesome :) 

On 9/16/2019 at 11:12 PM, oneeyedmatt87 said:

1. Oh man, you're right. Aka'jor is one broken piece of cheese. Seems like a strange choice to have a shuttle that does everything incredibly well except... transport people? I'll let kst be #3. It's a decent ship. Nothing crazy broken, except the sil is just outright wrong. So do you maintain that the Lambda Shuttle and the Sentinel Landing craft have the same passenger capacity, encumbrance, and cost? Because that's what my AOR core says.

Oh well. I guess it's better then the days when you used to recommend a Rarity 10 ship to every single person asking about starting ships... ;)

2. You're the only person I've seen using that hair-splitting distinction. Did you define it yourself?

I was just joking around because you clearly fall on the power gaming side of the table, to the extent that it seems like you may have not read the OP, or even the topic... as your advice (maximizing stats) was the exact opposite of the OP's point. I honestly don't mind you playing however you want to play. Your pantoran may have been a legit character, but it seems convenient that the one race that can start with 4 3 3 2 2 2 mysteriously ends up on your stat sheet. Especially since you recommend it in a large # of threads. Again, no offense was intended.

In the spirit of not thread-jacking (especially over such a silly exchange), if you wish to continue this discussion please PM me. I won't respond to this discussion in this thread, but if you wish to have the last word, you may. :)

The Lambda and sentinel is an errata.