Vipersfang00000

Weapon range

No such rule, as weapons are limited to their listed range.

So if you want to shoot at an opponent who's at Long Range and you're currently using a blaster pistol (maxes out at Medium Range), you either need to swap out for a weapon that can attack at Long Range, or spend two maneuvers to get within Medium Range.

The closest there is to using weapons outside of their default range is the Sniper Shot talent, which lets a character extend the range of their weapon by one range band per rank when using the Aim maneuver, but also upgrades the difficulty of the check an equal amount of times.

There are attachments that change the default range band of a weapon, but those aren't so much as going outside the weapon's range as changing the default to a new value.

9 hours ago, Vipersfang00000 said:

I think I did read in EotE if you shoot at an engaged enemy with a light ranged weapon you increase the difficulty by one. Page 154

You can shoot any engaged enemy with any ranged weapon.  But you're not shooting past the effective range of the weapon, as all ranged weapons can be used from Engaged all the way out to their listed maximum range.

However, the change in difficulty for shooting a target you're engaged with depends on the type of weapon, namely what skill is used to make the combat check.  If the weapon uses Ranged (Light), then the difficulty increases by one, but if the weapon uses Ranged (Heavy) then the difficulty is increased twice.  Gunnery I don't recall if you're outright disallowed from attacking an engaged target simply as those weapons are too massive to be effective at such close range, or if it's the same +2 difficulty as Ranged (Heavy), as Gunnery-based weapons used in engaged range has literally never come up in any of the many games I've played or run.  Often, it's best to spend a maneuver to disengage, put yourself at short range, and then blast your target, especially if using something from the Ranged (Heavy) category).

In my campaign we actually didn't go with the RAW format. Instead if you are shooting outside the listed range, or in same cases like a sniper rifle at short range, we add 1 or more setback dice. My group is a heavy DnD/Pathfinder group so we were taking an approach similar to them to make longer shots harder. Kinda thinking that if you are shooting a blaster pistol with a medium range the bolt isn't just going to stop when you hit the edge of that range band. It will keep going but be less effective/not as powerful. It is a house rule but one that has been working.

1 hour ago, hman05 said:

In my campaign we actually didn't go with the RAW format. Instead if you are shooting outside the listed range, or in same cases like a sniper rifle at short range, we add 1 or more setback dice. My group is a heavy DnD/Pathfinder group so we were taking an approach similar to them to make longer shots harder. Kinda thinking that if you are shooting a blaster pistol with a medium range the bolt isn't just going to stop when you hit the edge of that range band. It will keep going but be less effective/not as powerful. It is a house rule but one that has been working.

If it works in your game and your happy with it go for it, and makes total sense as a projectile doesn't stop at max effective range, but as Donovan mentioned above with the Sniper Shot talent, it increases range at the cost of 'upgrading the difficulty of the check by one (this is in addition to the increased difficulty of the shot due to longer range)' and that's per band and requires multiple ranks of the talent for each band. So it's quite the xp investment if someone wants to do it via talents.

Adding setback is a far less penalty than the talent and ends up negating it's benefit.

To keep the talent viable, you may want to consider reducing the talents penalties or have the ability to shoot past max range needs to be penalized more than the talent.

Edited by starwulfe

This is one I've gone back and forth on because on the one hand the rules are set up a certain way, and on the other hand it doesn't make much sense, Especially since a lot of pistols have obvious optics attached. I like the idea of cinematic old west shoot outs and WWII street battles where engagements ranges are short and the action is exciting, so I get that. 

I'm less excited about Sniper characters outside of Age of Rebellion in general. 

As a capability a character can do when it's needed it's fine, but as the thing they do in every single combat it's annoying. It's a concept that appeals heavily to lone wolf type players who want an excuse to always be in a high damage low danger situation, so I gate this quite a bit in my games. It gets tiresome when you have that sniper player who is always wanting to be at extreme range but wants to act as if he is right there in the terrain of the actual fight: seeing behind stuff, using what the close in fighters know but haven't communicated, etc.. 

So we have played mainly with using an additional difficulty die (beyond what is called for using that range) and also using an upgrade in difficulty when it makes sense. Those red dice seem to discourage a lot more even though as I understand it an Increase to another purple is actually worse odds. The chance for a despair in the narrative is usually a deterrent to shooting beyond ranges. For Pistols we allow shots no longer than Long Range. 

2 hours ago, hman05 said:

In the case of blasters, I think it's more that the blasterbolts become too diffuse to do any real harm anymore when they exceed their range limits. With other weapons like grenades or slugthrowers there are physical limitations. Even a Wookiee isn't throwing that grenade 500 meters far. And no amount of marksmanship is letting you hit something as sniper rifle range with a pistol. These limitations by and large make sense.

Edit:

Also, if every weapon can hit at long range, melee characters become a lot less viable.

Edited by micheldebruyn

13 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

In the case of blasters, I think it's more that the blasterbolts become too diffuse to do any real harm anymore when they exceed their range limits. With other weapons like grenades or slugthrowers there are physical limitations. Even a Wookiee isn't throwing that grenade 500 meters far. And no amount of marksmanship is letting you hit something as sniper rifle range with a pistol. These limitations by and large make sense.

That's a good point about grenades, there are some crazy ideas about throwing grenades out there in my opinion. Also people seem to just have weird ideas about Grenades and Explosives in general. Some players seem to regard them as magical implements like something from Harry Potter. 

Also the diffusion thing is not bad, I can get behind that somewhat. 

Edited by Archlyte

On 10/11/2019 at 7:50 PM, hman05 said:

Doesn't that make the Sniper Shot talent worthless?