Sign in to follow this  
Dafydd

Refitting a YT-1300

Hi everyone, I need some advice...

So, my players in my new campaign are coming to the end of Long Arm of the Hutt (finally, Jesus Hermione Christ these people can procrastinate...). They've got the Krayt Fang and will be setting off on their further adventures. However, the Fang isn't a perfect fit for them - there are six of them, and the Fang only has three bunks and the five single-being escape pods under the deck plates.  I suspect they're going to want to reconfigure the ship to make it more suitable  by adding in a second set of crew quarters and putting a six-being escape pod in. That's obviously fairly major work, CEC modular design notwithstanding, and will require a reasonably decent facility to do. My question is, how much do you think this is going to cost them? I expect they'll want to put some other upgrades on the ship at the same time, so there may be a bulk discount available on the work, but I'll worry about that when it becomes necessary. They'll also need to get the ship's identity changed, but that'll be a whole other story... *evil GM grin*

The good news is that the stock 13' is rated for 8 people (2 Crew 6 Pax) so the life support will handle the added crew no problem.  (Unless THAT was altered by the former owner too . . .) :o

The first question begs, why the reduced crew capacity (since is should come ready for 8 out of the factory).  But no matter.

In game terms this doesn't sound like a very dramatic alteration.  I figure parts and labor shouldn't be much more than 2,000 - 3,000 credits.  Obviously about half that if the crew is able to do the alterations themselves.  A good crew should be able to get all of this done in under a week.

19 hours ago, Mark Caliber said:

The good news is that the stock 13' is rated for 8 people (2 Crew 6 Pax) so the life support will handle the added crew no problem.  (Unless THAT was altered by the former owner too . . .) :o

The first question begs, why the reduced crew capacity (since is should come ready for 8 out of the factory).  But no matter.

In game terms this doesn't sound like a very dramatic alteration.  I figure parts and labor shouldn't be much more than 2,000 - 3,000 credits.  Obviously about half that if the crew is able to do the alterations themselves.  A good crew should be able to get all of this done in under a week.

I'm going into a bit more detail on the ship than simply the stats in the rulebook, which present a very generic YT-1300. I've got the Haynes manual (yeah, I know), so I'm looking at the different 'stock' variants of the YT-1300; I reckon the Fang as described in Escape from Mos Schuuta is closest to a YT-1300fp, but based on the map provided she's had the 6-person escape pod removed - I imagine that, if he had to abandon ship, Trex wasn't worried about getting prisoners out with him, so the five single-person pods under the deck plates would be more than enough, and taing the big pod out frees up some extra volume. The YT-1300fp has bunk space for three people, so that's what they've got.

This system really wasn't designed to handle that sort of in-depth detail, so the rules aren't going to be a lot of help.

As you said, the YT-1300 series are designed to be incredibly modular, so swapping out components is less about difficulty and more about getting the desired replacement parts for how the PCs want the ship to be laid out.

With the Krayt Fang, I always got the impression that the bunks on the map were double-beds, much like the crew quarters we saw on the Ghost in Star Wars Rebels, so as displayed it could host up to six people with little difficulty.

Personally, I would say that you just hand-wave it, with the PCs making use of a reasonably-friendly repair bay (perhaps one on Ryloth) with the party spending the couple weeks it would take either in downtime or participating in a Ryloth-based adventure.  As for the financial cost, simplest method is to just handwave it as the party getting a Debt or Favor Obligation (probably about 10 points' worth) that's applied to the group's total Obligation, and either be paid off in bits or in one fell swoop by doing a big and/or lucrative job for that repair bay (aka adventure hook the PCs aren't likely to balk out since it gives them a chance to jettison the Obligation).

On 9/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, Donovan Morningfire said:

This system really wasn't designed to handle that sort of in-depth detail, so the rules aren't going to be a lot of help.

As you said, the YT-1300 series are designed to be incredibly modular, so swapping out components is less about difficulty and more about getting the desired replacement parts for how the PCs want the ship to be laid out.

With the Krayt Fang, I always got the impression that the bunks on the map were double-beds, much like the crew quarters we saw on the Ghost in Star Wars Rebels, so as displayed it could host up to six people with little difficulty.

Personally, I would say that you just hand-wave it, with the PCs making use of a reasonably-friendly repair bay (perhaps one on Ryloth) with the party spending the couple weeks it would take either in downtime or participating in a Ryloth-based adventure.  As for the financial cost, simplest method is to just handwave it as the party getting a Debt or Favor Obligation (probably about 10 points' worth) that's applied to the group's total Obligation, and either be paid off in bits or in one fell swoop by doing a big and/or lucrative job for that repair bay (aka adventure hook the PCs aren't likely to balk out since it gives them a chance to jettison the Obligation).

I thought about double-stacking the bunks, but in the Haynes book the YT-1300 sleeping quarters are clearly depicted as three-bunk rooms with storage above the beds - and, frankly, the idea of six people bunking in a space that small sounds like a special kind of **** (especially when one of the PCs is a female Aqualish with a fondness for frilly blouses). You're right about the bunks on the Ghost being double-stacked, but IIRC there are only two bunks in each room.

Make the single bunks double bunks like they did for the ship in Red Dwarf..there's also the pdf of four type of floor plans for yt1300s knocking around on the web somewhere - just those four configurations should get their creative juices flowing. We opted for Courier with the Falcon cockpit deck plan

FOUND IT: https://www.deviantart.com/reiko-foxx/art/YT-1300-Deckplan-Variations-446961664

Edited by ExpandingUniverse