Garrett17

Proposed changes SSD and Objective points

After playing with the SSD a bit in an 800 point game it occurs to me that maybe a bit of rules adjustment might be called for.

-When an SSD overlaps a bunch of squadrons it somehow seems strange that a bunch of b-wings would be able to move more than twice their normal movement ability. Maybe it should only be as far as the midline to the front/rear along an SSD's overall hull depending on which half overlapped them?

-The objective points associated with a lot of the objectives don't really seem to hold the same value when you start playing with more than 400 points (i.e. the VIP in "Capture"). Maybe these should be increased proportionately to the point limit you're using?

I realize that for casual play you can basically set any rules you want but I wanted to ask if these seem to be the kinds of changes the game might be better off formally adapting.

Also, does anyone have any guesses as to why a 25% squadron point cap is used at games beyond 400 (acc. to sector fleet rules)?

51 minutes ago, Garrett17 said:

Also, does anyone have any guesses as to why a 25% squadron point cap is used at games beyond 400 (acc. to sector fleet rules)?

My guess is, that it’s restricted so that each round can be played in an reasonable amount of time.

squadrons already take longer to activate than a ship activation of equal points,

so on a higher point limit it would only get worse,

and afterall it is a ship focused game, and even more so on higher point limits.

And it keeps the playing field less cluttered,

And H e l l who would like to wait through 33 tie squadrons activating?

Edited by Captain_Nemo
One cant write h e l l on here?

2 hours ago, Captain_Nemo said:

And H e l l who would like to wait through 33 tie squadrons activating?

Not to mention their effect on ships...

33 TIE fighters could take down an ISD in a turn...

...That is, if you could get them all in range.

I agree with the 25% squadron limit but as the OP says you can set your own limits in games with your freinds.

You can also set your own limits if you are running a local tournament as long as you publicise them in advance. Since large point events break the official 400 point tournament rules which you must use for Store Champs, Regional, Nationals anyway you can do what you like. 

As for changing the objective points to represent larger games I agree in some missions but not others. Superior positions for example I would keep at 15 points each since there are more units on the table and more rear arc targets for you to shoot at so that sort of balances out. Same goes for Fighter ambush, blockade Run, Precision Strike. But missions like Station Assault, VIP, Contested Outpost, Dangerous Territory & salvage run would be candidates for increasing the points probably by the same proportion as the MOV chart streatches by in large games. 

4 hours ago, Garrett17 said:

-When an SSD overlaps a bunch of squadrons it somehow seems strange that a bunch of b-wings would be able to move more than twice their normal movement ability. Maybe it should only be as far as the midline to the front/rear along an SSD's overall hull depending on which half overlapped them?

Before the rules were known we played with a proxy. I houseruled that for all issues concerning deployment (being in deployment zone, where to deploy fighters) and moving you have to use the rear base. When overlapping, you redeploy squadrons touching the base that overlapped.

In my eyes it also would have been better if a SSD just ignores the effect of all obstacles. But I didn't play any of the new ones from RitR yet. But things are now as they are ...

On 9/13/2019 at 5:49 AM, Triangular said:

In my eyes it also would have been better if a SSD just ignores the effect of all obstacles. But I didn't play any of the new ones from RitR yet. But things are now as they are ...

With how powerful the SSD is, I 100% disagree with also allowing it to simply ignore obstacles.  Maybe allowing it to spend one of its attacks to destroy an obstacle, but not simply ignore them completely. 

25% for squads is great for 600+ point games. Otherwise, playing with 50+ squads on the table would double the already long game times. Also, 25 % is good balancing. 33% would be squad dominance again.

After playing 600 sector fleet games I think this is what tourneys should use.