F0RGED

Clone Wars Units Shipping?

On 9/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, TauntaunScout said:

I once had $400 tied up in a pistol for 9 months that was supposed to take “4-8 weeks maybe longer”. So I figured 16 weeks conservatively? Ha ha. 

I once had $209 tied up for over a year when I ordered a handgonne barrel that was supposed to be “30 days or more”. 

Don’t even get me going on Hasbro’s re-issue of 1978 Kenner SW guys as a Target exclusive. Talk about a botched release, Target put them in MENSWEAR instead of toys then got rid of them as soon as Father’s Day promotions ended. Employees scalped them all on eBay soon after.

I once paid for a $300 sword and the computer lost my order for months: they’d get more in, sell them to other people, get a few more in, sell them, etc. I had to call repeatedly to get my order shipped and watch their website for when it listed that sword as being in stock. 

It’s not FFG. It’s all hobby stuff. 

... bad luck seems to follow you around! Remind me to never go into business with you!

Edited by famado

2 hours ago, famado said:

... bad luck seems to follow you around! Remind me to never go into business with you!

The best part about his comment was me trying to figure out why someone needs a $300 sword...

4 hours ago, Tirion said:

shipping or in stores?

I'd assume in stores because he says that it will be available Oct 4th.  

3 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

The best part about his comment was me trying to figure out why someone needs a $300 sword...

I’m guessing you never fenced at a high level. And no, I don’t mean selling stollen goods.😁

5 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

Same reason someone needs $300 worth of miniatures: They want it for a hobby. 😛

Having grown up in a Civil War town with annual reenactments, $300 is about right for a mid to high quality blade for reenactment usages.

9 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

Because the $100 "swords" are garbage*. They're not even swords, just metal sculptures of swords. But ultimately it's the same reason someone "needs" armies of little plastic stormtroopers: it's cool. In my case there's only one vendor selling the correct looking sword that was issued to the regiment I portray, so, I'm on the hook for putting up with their shenanigans.

Oh good. I think 4 factions will kick this game up a notch.

*Most of the expensive ones are garbage too. Buyer beware.

Edited by TauntaunScout

9 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Same reason someone needs $300 worth of miniatures: They want it for a hobby. 😛

Having grown up in a Civil War town with annual reenactments, $300 is about right for a mid to high quality blade for reenactment usages.

At least you can do something with the minis.  What are you going to do with a sword?

i get it if it’s fencing, but I’m pretty sure he bought it as an antique or maybe he’s a larper.

14 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

At least you can do something with the minis.  What are you going to do with a sword?

i get it if it’s fencing, but I’m pretty sure he bought it as an antique or maybe he’s a larper.

Could be part of a reenactment uniform as well. 

Also, I think there are some martial arts groups that require functional swords for their competitions and ranking events... 

Though to be fair, I don't think $300 will get you much in terms of functionality.

24 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

Wear as part of a reenactment of a historical battle (such as Gettysburg or Bull Run) or display on your wall (I've seen some people with Civil War era sabers on gun racks in their pickup trucks). Heck, I have miniatures I've purchased for the express purposes of converting and painting with no game in mind for using them. Not to mention people who build dioramas or model planes and then just put them on display. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

2 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

Real antique swords start way higher than $300. You can buy 19th century fencing foils and decorative "swords" for under $300 but a pre-1850 object worthy of the name "sword" is going to go for a lot more. For the particular one I bought, despite being produced in the low thousands, I believe only two or three are known to exist and there's no way the museums will sell them to me!

This one is a good repro. I bought it as part of my overall historical reenacting uniform. I use it more for demos and displays than actually wearing around. Because while the swords were issued and were technically pat of the uniform, the reality is, we know they mostly got boxed up (along with the regimental pistols) and replaced with a tomahawk after a relatively short time in the theater. Actually a lot of the official uniform was replaced by adaptions of Native American stuff. Some cause it was better suited to the terrain, some cause it was expensive to keep shipping the "right" stuff across the Atlantic.

But if you think $300 for a sword is crazy, you should see what the muskets and dress uniform coats cost...

Edited by TauntaunScout

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

(I've seen some people with Civil War era sabers on gun racks in their pickup trucks).

THOSE are about the cheapest "real" swords going. Relatively mass produced, not that long ago, and not actually used much so they wound up surviving. Unless it's provenanced it to a specific officer who carried it or something, you CAN get a 19th century US Army sword of some kind for not too bad, if you're patient and keep looking. A ton of them wound up in government surplus warehouses, and sold off for cheap in the early 20th century to the first wave of civil war artifact collectors.