Jump to content
frbfli

A Journey Begins - R2D2 & C-3PO

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, UnitOmega said:

Plus he has at least one command card where maybe he can go rambo and nuke an enemy squad. There's a BLAST in there, that's probably fun. For 15 more points, he gains the ability to throw out support tokens too w/ 3PO as the combined unit. 

He also has a Suppressive weapon, that's pretty rare in Rebels & Republic so far. 

GAR will have P2 Clones with mortars, very likely suppression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, I think you may have it right @UnitOmega .  The RRG Says

Quote

A counterpart mini cannot be fielded as its own unit; it is instead added to another unit, specified by the counterpart keyword.

but you're right, nothing on R2's card says 3PO must be fielded.

The one confusing thing is the text on 3PO's card

Quote

(While building an army, this mini must be added to an R2-D2 unit.)

Not sure why the "while building an army" bit is included, I think it would dispel any confusion to just say "This mini must be added to an R2..." - this could also be a non-final version of the card, so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I don't know, 35 points for a unit your opponent only really gets to shoot at once in a game, can heal 4 health on vehicles, and can earn you an additional victory point it doesn't seem too overcosted. 

I don't see how this is that big of a deal. It's not like R2 has an offensive ranged weapon? 

You are paying for repair 4 and the chance to score an additional VP. His 1 pip seems very bad. I have to reserve judgement about his other two cards, but as a GAR player, we will want as many order tokens on our squads as possible and R2 doesn't give us that option. 

Repair 4 could be useful, but it's only as useful as the other vehicles in your list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squark said:

It's a bit tentative, and looks like it could use a bit of rewording, but I think the RRG supports @TerranCmdr. It looks like 3P0 is a mandatory add-on to Artoo's unit, but I could see this being unintentional, in which case R2-D2 could be fielded alone, but 3P0 would have to be added as a counterpart.

If C-3PO was mandatory to include with R2 he wouldn't have a separate points cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

I don't see how this is that big of a deal. It's not like R2 has an offensive ranged weapon? 

You are paying for repair 4 and the chance to score an additional VP. His 1 pip seems very bad. I have to reserve judgement about his other two cards, but as a GAR player, we will want as many order tokens on our squads as possible and R2 doesn't give us that option. 

Repair 4 could be useful, but it's only as useful as the other vehicles in your list. 

If they can't shoot you, they have to engage you in melee to prevent you from getting that extra VP, or prevent you from repairing/ removing damage tokens, unlike with the bounty hunters that can be targetted very easily to prevent the extra VP. It's also a 35 point activation that can't easily be removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shuntley said:

during the command phase you may be issued orders from commander/operative from range1-4. i think is what it says

That is incredibly underwhelming when long range comms was dropped to only 5 points, it should probably be free now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

If they can't shoot you, they have to engage you in melee to prevent you from getting that extra VP, or prevent you from repairing/ removing damage tokens, unlike with the bounty hunters that can be targetted very easily to prevent the extra VP. It's also a 35 point activation that can't easily be removed.

You're assuming you can easily get R2 into your opponents deployment zone to score that extra vp....

44 points gets you a sniper squad. That's the problem that I'm having. A sniper squad impacts the board each turn while R2 doesn't at all.  

R2 may be viable based on his other two cards + his synergy with vehicles. Repair 4 is no joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

You're assuming you can easily get R2 into your opponents deployment zone to score that extra vp....

44 points gets you a sniper squad. That's the problem that I'm having. A sniper squad impacts the board each turn while R2 doesn't at all.  

R2 may be viable based on his other two cards + his synergy with vehicles. Repair 4 is no joke. 

A sniper squad is no longer guaranteed to impact the board each turn though ( although functionally it is likely to), and R2 is occupying an operative slot, which is rarely filled, as opposed to Special Forces.

Excepting Long March, he is likely to reach the opponent's deployment. Alternately, he's great for repairing moisture evaporators, sitting on a terrain piece, babysitting a transmission, or picking up supply boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

You're assuming you can easily get R2 into your opponents deployment zone to score that extra vp....

44 points gets you a sniper squad. That's the problem that I'm having. A sniper squad impacts the board each turn while R2 doesn't at all.  

R2 may be viable based on his other two cards + his synergy with vehicles. Repair 4 is no joke. 

Pop him in the speeder, make a bee line for the enemy's deployment zone, R2 pops and and starts dropping suppression on enemy units, has to be engaged in melee if they really want to take him out, repairs the speeder if they try to take it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

You're assuming you can easily get R2 into your opponents deployment zone to score that extra vp....

44 points gets you a sniper squad. That's the problem that I'm having. A sniper squad impacts the board each turn while R2 doesn't at all.  

R2 may be viable based on his other two cards + his synergy with vehicles. Repair 4 is no joke. 

Isn’t a Sniper Strike Team 48 now?

If R2 is only 35, that’s a big difference. 13 points or a Phase1 clone.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Isn’t a Sniper Strike Team 48 now?

If R2 is only 35, that’s a big difference. 13 points or a Phase1 clone.😋

Good point. I'm so used to their old 44 unit cost.

At that point, phase 1s are a better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, R3dReVenge said:

Good point. I'm so used to their old 44 unit cost.

At that point, phase 1s are a better option.

R2 also has a lot of utility.

1. He can probably throw a Smoke (Command card) for when your units need to pass an area with no cover and you don’t need to spend an extra 6 points for the Grenade.

2. Looks like he may get a range 1 area attack with Blast (2 pip card), so he might be a great include with Sabinatours.

3. He can repair better than anyone and once done can be thrown at units with his 3 white attack and if he’s attacked it’s one less attack on your main units.

4. He (and 3PO) bring an extra 4(6) health to your army for only 35(50) points, not to mention 3POs distraction, which can act a lot like Solo’s 2 pip, but R2 can use that with his Smoke as well and Distraction can be used more than once (if he & 3PO survive).

5. Lastly he can possibly net you an extra VP. His 1 pip might help him get out of Dodge when he needs to too.

I could have missed something, and we don’t know how the Republic version will differ, but so far, he might be a really solid unit for 35-50 points. Again, we need to reserve judgment, until we have them on the table a couple of times, but I’m cautiously optimistic.😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

R2 also has a lot of utility.

1. He can probably throw a Smoke (Command card) for when your units need to pass an area with no cover and you don’t need to spend an extra 6 points for the Grenade.

2. Looks like he may get a range 1 area attack with Blast (2 pip card), so he might be a great include with Sabinatours.

3. He can repair better than anyone and once done can be thrown at units with his 3 white attack and if he’s attacked it’s one less attack on your main units.

The biggest problem I have with his command cards is that they only give R2 the command token. I will be playing Clones primarily and having face-up tokens seems to be a must. I would rather spend 6 points for smoke than spend a command card. 

The only reason I would take him is to add 4 wounds onto a vehicle. The TX-130 seems like a juicy target, but then again that's an extra 35 points for 4 more wounds...

8 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

4. He (and 3PO) bring an extra 4(6) health to your army for only 35(50) points, not to mention 3POs distraction, which can act a lot like Solo’s 2 pip, but R2 can use that with his Smoke as well and Distraction can be used more than once (if he & 3PO survive).

5. Lastly he can possibly net you an extra VP. His 1 pip might help him get out of Dodge when he needs to too.

I could have missed something, and we don’t know how the Republic version will differ, but so far, he might be a really solid unit for 35-50 points. Again, we need to reserve judgment, until we have them on the table a couple of times, but I’m cautiously optimistic.😊

 

3PO seems great until you realize that you have to purchase R2 and the unit costs 50. I would rather bring an extra clone trooper squad at that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

The biggest problem I have with his command cards is that they only give R2 the command token. I will be playing Clones primarily and having face-up tokens seems to be a must. I would rather spend 6 points for smoke than spend a command card. 

The only reason I would take him is to add 4 wounds onto a vehicle. The TX-130 seems like a juicy target, but then again that's an extra 35 points for 4 more wounds...

3PO seems great until you realize that you have to purchase R2 and the unit costs 50. I would rather bring an extra clone trooper squad at that point. 

Good points, but I still want to see how they play. If they’re crap, then R2 will be nothing more than repairs for vehicles (and really good for the Tank), but it’s still early to decide if the unit is any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Good points, but I still want to see how they play. If they’re crap, then R2 will be nothing more than repairs for vehicles (and really good for the Tank), but it’s still early to decide if the unit is any good.

Someone earlier mentioned putting him in a speeder which seems like a solid strategy. I wonder how it will play out. 

Who knows, R2 could be a beast when comboed with a decked out TX-130. I'm just a little disappointed that he costs so much. I was hoping for a combined cost of 35.

Edited by R3dReVenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those in favor of "C3PO must always be added to R2" also arguing for the point, that C3PO must always be included in an army (While building an army this unit must be added to an R2-D2 unit) and hence R2 must always be included in every army? There is no restriction on 3PO that you only have to take him if you take R2.

It least for me it seams obvious that 3PO is an option but when to want to take him, you can only buy him as an "upgrade" for R2.

Also what i didn't see mentioned here before is the fact, that R2 can repair himself! That means that R2 has effectively 8HP +2 if you take 3PO. Sure the only thing he does is slowly walking into the enemy deployment zone. But can actually be quite tricky to prevent him from doing just that when you cannot shoot at them more than once per round (and I'm looking at you Disarray!). The zero pip card gives the droids a well needed speed boost while also getting out of close combat and having the much desired suppression token, nice.  I see a lot of strategies already here. The obvious cabrio for example or Scout 2 with Rex. I think this Unit will be loads of fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SailorMeni said:

Are those in favor of "C3PO must always be added to R2" also arguing for the point, that C3PO must always be included in an army (While building an army this unit must be added to an R2-D2 unit) and hence R2 must always be included in every army? There is no restriction on 3PO that you only have to take him if you take R2.

It least for me it seams obvious that 3PO is an option but when to want to take him, you can only buy him as an "upgrade" for R2.

Also what i didn't see mentioned here before is the fact, that R2 can repair himself! That means that R2 has effectively 8HP +2 if you take 3PO. Sure the only thing he does is slowly walking into the enemy deployment zone. But can actually be quite tricky to prevent him from doing just that when you cannot shoot at them more than once per round (and I'm looking at you Disarray!). The zero pip card gives the droids a well needed speed boost while also getting out of close combat and having the much desired suppression token, nice.  I see a lot of strategies already here. The obvious cabrio for example or Scout 2 with Rex. I think this Unit will be loads of fun!

Some important issues raised here...especially that the R2 Threepio combo will be FUN !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheHoosh said:

This is Star Wars nothing fits and yet it all fits

I'd hesitate to say it all fits in Star Wars.  There's a lot of stuff added over the years that most certainly doesn't fit, from crystal stars and Force sensitive slugs to time traveling wolves and hyperspace ramming.  To each their own, I guess. 

14 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

I'm glad, I'm not the only one who feels like this way. I was hoping both C-3PO + R2-D2 would cost a combined total of 30 points and would be a cheap activation...

R2-D2 seems very underwhelming

It'll either be broken as all ****, or completely useless.  To me, it's something I can't say I'm interested in.  Even the benefits of having R2 for the Saber tank seem like they're not worth the cost of this expansion, when (I assume) at some point the Republic will get a Specialists pack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

If that's the case, why would they bother putting point costs on Counterparts?

I think because it functions different than a unit.  I wonder if killing a counterpart will count toward points in ties as we see more counterparts come out?  Imagine a rancor and rancor trainer being a counterpart card,  sure you killed the rancor but if you didnt' kill rancor trainer you may not get the points for it with out specifiying.  But it is odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

I'm glad, I'm not the only one who feels like this way. I was hoping both C-3PO + R2-D2 would cost a combined total of 30 points and would be a cheap activation...

R2-D2 seems very underwhelming

not if you think of what he can do as repair bot thing wounds he can give back to the republic tank

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gridloc said:

I think because it functions different than a unit.  I wonder if killing a counterpart will count toward points in ties as we see more counterparts come out?  Imagine a rancor and rancor trainer being a counterpart card,  sure you killed the rancor but if you didnt' kill rancor trainer you may not get the points for it with out specifiying.  But it is odd.

As the counterpart is not the unit leader, doesn't it have to take damage first? 

Also, I'll point out again that as a Droid Trooper with no special rule the the contrary, R2 can additionally be used as a cheap objective grabber who can really only be shot once. He can pick up crates, repair/sabotage evaporators, pick up incoming transmissions, and touch terrain pieces. Set up an objective in an out of the way place your opponent will struggle to get to, and R2 can claim it without significantly reducing your combat effectiveness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

You're assuming you can easily get R2 into your opponents deployment zone to score that extra vp....

44 points gets you a sniper squad. That's the problem that I'm having. A sniper squad impacts the board each turn while R2 doesn't at all.  

R2 may be viable based on his other two cards + his synergy with vehicles. Repair 4 is no joke. 

problem is snipers are 48 now and only range five which lessen there impact and i think if you have tanks this is a no brainier

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...