frbfli

A Journey Begins - R2D2 & C-3PO

31 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Yup, just pulled up a pic from their slide show and it was originally Q4 2019.

I feel better knowing I am not going crazy at least.

I knew they would end up pushing back on some of the units expected this year.😢

There were 4 unit and only 3 1/2 months left.

As for repair, the update seems to address R2 specifically.

RRG pg59 Repair X:Capacity Y (Upgrade Keyword)

”Repair x: capacity y is a free card ability and can be used as a free action during a unit’s activation. When a unit uses the repair x: capacity y ability, place one wound token on the card that has the repair x: capacity y keyword, and choose a friendly droid trooper or vehicle unit at range 1 and in line of sight. Remove a total of up to x wound, ion, and/or vehicle damage tokens from the chosen unit or restore up to x miniatures to that unit. This ability cannot be used if the card that has the repair x: capacity y keyword has a number of wound tokens on it equal to or exceeding y.”

So it looks like 1 use = 1 wound token on R2’s card and does 2 repairs. At least that’s how I read it.

Edited by JediPartisan

2 hours ago, LunarSol said:

Sad they're an operative, just because it means no Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, R2+3PO.  We really need Han to have Entourage: Chewie.

You can expect an operative version of han solo with chewie counterpart.

So R2’s 2 pip has Blast and you can see two B2 Super battle droids and fire (as in the scene from RoTS).

Judging from the Smoke token, looks like his 3 pip is about that ( 🧯 ). And why no Standby token (not that you’ll want to with him, just odd).

And since they pushed back its delivery date, not even clones will get a new unit before the end of the year. Well, guess we still have the corps unit upgrades.😒😢

Edited by JediPartisan

C3P0 has counterpart: R2D2 (when building an army, this unit must be included with R2D2). [or along those lines] 

My question is, if I want R2 in my army, am I required to add C3P0 or does this mean IF I want to bring C3P0, I can only do it with R2D2?

27 minutes ago, choassassin said:

C3P0 has counterpart: R2D2 (when building an army, this unit must be included with R2D2). [or along those lines] 

My question is, if I want R2 in my army, am I required to add C3P0 or does this mean IF I want to bring C3P0, I can only do it with R2D2?

It's a bit tentative, and looks like it could use a bit of rewording, but I think the RRG supports @TerranCmdr. It looks like 3P0 is a mandatory add-on to Artoo's unit, but I could see this being unintentional, in which case R2-D2 could be fielded alone, but 3P0 would have to be added as a counterpart.

Okay, back up here.

IF YOU WANT TO USE 3PO, you must use him with R2. As R2 has no reference to 3PO on his own card, the game cannot require 3PO to be added to him. If they were forced to be used together, they would be one card. All the text under counterpart is speaking in reference to the counterpart unit, which isn't a real unit on it's own (as it lacks all the required stuff). 3PO is the Counterpart, all those special rules only apply to him - R2 is just a regular operative. 

"A counterpart mini cannot be fielded as its own unit; it is instead added to another unit, specified by the counterpart keyword. A counterpart and its corresponding unit combine to form one unit, consisting of the counterpart and noncounterpart minis and represented by the combination of the unit card and the counterpart card."

Reiterate, The counterpart mini in this case is 3PO. He is the counterpart, R2 is a non-counterpart unit, and can stand alone. 

Edited by UnitOmega

5 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Okay, back up here.

IF YOU WANT TO USE 3PO, you must use him with R2. As R2 has no reference to 3PO on his own card, the game cannot require 3PO to be added to him. If they were forced to be used together, they would be one card. All the text under counterpart is speaking in reference to the counterpart unit, which isn't a real unit on it's own (as it lacks all the required stuff). 

"A counterpart mini cannot be fielded as its own unit; it is instead added to another unit, specified by the counterpart keyword. A counterpart and its corresponding unit combine to form one unit, consisting of the counterpart and noncounterpart minis and represented by the combination of the unit card and the counterpart card."

The counterpart mini in this case is 3PO. He is the counterpart, R2 is a non-counterpart unit, and can stand alone. 

The problem is under C3P0's card under Counterpart: R2D2 (While building an army, this mini must be added to an R2D2 unit.)

Which means that regardless, C3P0 must be included if R2D2 is in your army, right?

I completely understand that under R2D2 it does not state that if you have R2D2, you must have C3P0, but it seems that C3P0 does and it doesn't matter.

Granted this is all speculation and generated to think about these 2 cards and how they will play. I understand that these are the only cards like this so far in the game and it is good to have a discussion about them early and hopefully get some insightful ideas about them.

Separately, if R2D2 is allowed to only be alone, the X-34 is going to the be the Rebels best friend since R2D2 can repair it and be transported across to gain a victory point rather conveniently.

Thoughts now?

Reminder text is just reminder text. It's telling you that if you place 3PO in your list, he must be added with R2, since that is his counterpart unit. 

Like, think of it this way, when you are building your list in real life, and you read 3PO, do you ALWAYS have to include 3PO in your list forever, because his card says "when building an army"? No, it's a shorthand to let you know "hey this is a counterpart, he can't exist on his own, you have to attach him to R2", nothing in the RRG text, the full expanded text, says you must attach a counterpart, just he can't exist except as part of the combined unit. Always in this case means in reference to the counterpart only. Again, if they HAD to be stuck together, why are they seperate cards, and why does 3PO have his own cost? You could make a singular 3PO and R2 mini with all their keywords and the like. 

Edited by UnitOmega

4 minutes ago, choassassin said:

The problem is under C3P0's card under Counterpart: R2D2 (While building an army, this mini must be added to an R2D2 unit.)

Which means that regardless, C3P0 must be included if R2D2 is in your army, right?

I completely understand that under R2D2 it does not state that if you have R2D2, you must have C3P0, but it seems that C3P0 does and it doesn't matter.

Granted this is all speculation and generated to think about these 2 cards and how they will play. I understand that these are the only cards like this so far in the game and it is good to have a discussion about them early and hopefully get some insightful ideas about them.

Separately, if R2D2 is allowed to only be alone, the X-34 is going to the be the Rebels best friend since R2D2 can repair it and be transported across to gain a victory point rather conveniently.

Thoughts now?

Even if you do have to include 3PO (and I don’t agree that he has to be included), you could easily get 3PO killed off quickly to have the same R2 chauffeuring situation. After all 3PO does have distract.

1 minute ago, choassassin said:

So you are saying that I am reading too much into it.

I’m not 100%, but for my money, maybe.

I think R2 doesn’t have any mandatory attachment, but 3PO, being a Counterpart, must have R2.

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

Yay, another expansion that doesn't look interesting in the slightest.  I hope it being pushed into 2020 doesn't push back good expansions. 

Anyone else think this just seems odd for Legion?  It just doesn't seem to fit a war game to me. 

This is Star Wars nothing fits and yet it all fits

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

Yay, another expansion that doesn't look interesting in the slightest.  I hope it being pushed into 2020 doesn't push back good expansions. 

Anyone else think this just seems odd for Legion?  It just doesn't seem to fit a war game to me. 

I'm glad, I'm not the only one who feels like this way. I was hoping both C-3PO + R2-D2 would cost a combined total of 30 points and would be a cheap activation...

R2-D2 seems very underwhelming

22 minutes ago, R3dReVenge said:

I'm glad, I'm not the only one who feels like this way. I was hoping both C-3PO + R2-D2 would cost a combined total of 30 points and would be a cheap activation...

R2-D2 seems very underwhelming

I don't know, 35 points for a unit your opponent only really gets to shoot at once in a game, can heal 4 health on vehicles, and can earn you an additional victory point it doesn't seem too overcosted. 

Plus he has at least one command card where maybe he can go rambo and nuke an enemy squad. There's a BLAST in there, that's probably fun. For 15 more points, he gains the ability to throw out support tokens too w/ 3PO as the combined unit. 

He also has a Suppressive weapon, that's pretty rare in Rebels & Republic so far. 

Edited by UnitOmega