Sign in to follow this  
awp832

Before the Black Throne Qs, (minor spoilers)

In Before the black throne,  new locations spawn sometimes in empty space.    What wasnt clear to me is this,   can those locations only spawn in empty space (on top of a facedown investigator card)?   Or is it possible to spawn these locations where there is "no map"  so to speak,   increasing the size of the map, much like in The Pallid Mask scenario?

An unrelated question,  sometimes when the Agenda deck advances, the lead investigator draws a Demonic Piping card.    That card has surge.   The surge triggers,  I assume.   If you then surge draw into Ancient Evils... you are currently in a situation where you are in the middle of resolving the B side of an Agenda card.    What happens to the doom from Ancient evils?   Does it go on the next card?   Does it fail to appear?  What happens?

We treated that particular draw of Demonic Piping as the consequence of the Agenda advancing. Basically that we had stumbled around enough out in the Cosmos to get the attention of the Piper. Since it wasn’t in  a in a normal Mythos Phase and the Agenda didn’t give any instruction about also resolving the surge key word, we ignored it. 

Edited by Mimi61

9 hours ago, awp832 said:

In Before the black throne,  new locations spawn sometimes in empty space.    What wasnt clear to me is this,   can those locations only spawn in empty space (on top of a facedown investigator card)?   Or is it possible to spawn these locations where there is "no map"  so to speak,   increasing the size of the map, much like in The Pallid Mask scenario?

I've sent in this very question to Matt, for clarification, and I believe it'll be addressed in the next FAQ. I understood that you could spawn locations in non-empty-space spaces, such as around the edge of the map, but I can see how it could be argued either way. The fact that acts 2 and 3 change the shape of the map implied, to me, that it wasn't a fixed grid, just a snapshot of the void...

9 hours ago, awp832 said:

An unrelated question,  sometimes when the Agenda deck advances, the lead investigator draws a Demonic Piping card.    That card has surge.   The surge triggers,  I assume.   If you then surge draw into Ancient Evils... you are currently in a situation where you are in the middle of resolving the B side of an Agenda card.    What happens to the doom from Ancient evils?   Does it go on the next card?   Does it fail to appear?  What happens?

My read on this - again, I can see how this could be refuted - is that the doom is placed on the b side of the agenda you're on, and then you flip into the next a side and the doom is discarded. I took it to be a slim lucky break for the investigators, given so much is stacked against you otherwise. I can see the Miskatonic Museum situation being cited as a reason not to do this ("surely the intent is doom goes on the next properly active agenda!") but given we know Matt knows about the MM issue, I think it's safe to say you just get a lucky break and the doom enters play and is then immediately discarded as you finish advancing the agenda. (Oh, and yes, surge triggers - no good reason for it not to, same as if you'd drawn a surge card with delve, dttf, something else...)

Edited by zooeyglass
further detail...

Since we're here, I'll add in the other FAQ I've seen/had about this scenario -- what happens to Mindless Dancers when the act advances?

Edit: and one more -- when the act advances, do all new cards come out for empty space?  Or do you recycle the ones that are already out?

Edited by CSerpent

1 hour ago, CSerpent said:

Since we're here, I'll add in the other FAQ I've seen/had about this scenario -- what happens to Mindless Dancers when the act advances?

Edit: and one more -- when the act advances, do all new cards come out for empty space?  Or do you recycle the ones that are already out?

I can try to answer (but I've also asked these): 

1) empty space should be considered 'locations' for the purposes of shuffling all enemies back into the top 5 cards of the encounter deck

2) not immediately clear whether left-over empty space is shuffled back in and replaced or not - you can end up with a map with a spattering of empty space off the to the left as you advance on to the next region. My group ruled to shuffle back in whatever was still out and then to populate the new empty space from the active player's deck, as per the empty space rules. Again: could see how that could be argued against too! 

3 hours ago, CaffeineAddict said:

I've yet to win this scenario, but depending on some of the answers to the above questions, I may have been making it harder than it needs to be.

Or maybe we made it easier than it was... 🙂The empty space question came up on our second go round. We had no solid answer either. We kind of figured, since it gets bigger every time we advanced, we should stay in the framework provided, but could see where it could go either way. 

Edited by Mimi61

On 9/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, awp832 said:

while we're on the subject:   Can you use Dynamite Blast on a Mindless Dancer who is in empty space?

Dynamite needs a location (Choose either your location or a connecting location. Deal 3 damage to each enemy and to each investigator at the chosen location), while "empty space is not a location" (Black throne p2).

Sadly, you'll need to put into play a location under your Mindless Dancer before ...

However, "empty space count as a location for the purposes of determining the distance between two locations", therfore i did use "You owe me one" against  some lonely acolyte.

Is FFG answering questions? I sent a few questions about this scenario about two weeks ago, because I believe the rules are not explained well in this case. But no answer.

Edited by Shironeko

10 hours ago, Shironeko said:

Is FFG answering questions? I sent a few questions about this scenario about two weeks ago, because I believe the rules are not explained well in this case. But no answer.

I believe there's a big backlog of questions! 

48 minutes ago, zooeyglass said:

I wish I could tell them to skip over my questions (or retract it). I was a little quick to send it off, and now feel guilty because I don't need it answered any longer.

13 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

Oh my... and it could have been avoided by writing better rules. In fact, I've never had so many problems and I played the majority of scenarios released. I think they are trying to release them too quickly now with all those standalones and Return to... packs and they don't do enough testing. Like with the setup of the Witching Hour..