Audio Weasel

Let's start an arguement!

2 hours ago, Madaghmire said:

Terrible list. The wings, much like your game controllers, go X, A, B, Y.

But what if I'm old-school, and my controller only has...X and Y...

Wait, that doesn't work... 

3 hours ago, Madaghmire said:

You've omitted my personal favorites, the L-Wing and R-Wing.

Then there's the lesser known Start-Wing, Select-Wing and rarely seen anymore, Mode-Wing.

2 minutes ago, thestag said:

You've omitted my personal favorites, the L-Wing and R-Wing.

Then there's the lesser known Start-Wing, Select-Wing and rarely seen anymore, Mode-Wing.

I like the Xbox-Button Wing.

2 hours ago, Ling27 said:

I like the Xbox-Button Wing.

The problem with those wings is that they only work in certain systems. Although there's a retrofit that allows them in systems with S-type and X-type stars.

1 hour ago, thestag said:

The problem with those wings is that they only work in certain systems. Although there's a retrofit that allows them in systems with S-type and X-type stars.

Its true, and if you use a type 3.5 fueling line you can use it in the PC type systems.

Regardless, I think the best wing is 24 fighters... which I plan on building for XWING. I do plan on building a full 4 ship squadron of each ship in Armada eventually.

10 hours ago, Ling27 said:

So in all honesty, the LAAT gunship was the workhorse of the GAR. Will we see the LAAT, and what do you think it will have keyword wise?

I hope so. I'd expect it to be an OK fighter/bomber with good hull, 2-3 speed and probably the Assault keyword. Hoping for the HMP as a Separatist counterpart.

GRENADE!

In the linked article, "A-Wings Suck", the author makes some fair points from a theatrical standpoint. The X-Wings destroyed the death star and are, overall, more iconic. The A-Wings claim to fame, in the original trilogy, was "destroying" the Executor. Why a starship the size of a small country does not have an auxiliary bridge is a topic for another discussion. With some exposure to the old EU, I also agree with the assessment of the type of pilots the A-Wings are depicted as having. I'll also expand on the one brief technical detail the author included. The A-Wing does come off as a fighter built to "match" the TIE fighters/Interceptors. In the second world war, the US didn't build Zeros to combat Zeros, they built Corsairs (X-Wings)  and Thunderbolts (B-Wings).

The T-Wing and E-Wing have always been my favorites. They're both high speed torpedo strike fighters. If I were in charge of Star Wars T-Wings would have been part of the rebel fleets in Rebels, Rogue One, and the ROTJ Bluray while Resistance fighter wing in TFA would have been a mix of X-Wings and E-Wings. (Seriously why have the fighter designers for the ST gotten away with being so lazy? We're two movies in and the closest thing the Resistance has to an actually new fighter class are supersized B-Wings)

On 9/13/2019 at 7:45 AM, RedPriest said:

a starship the size of a small country 

The Executor is 1900 M long, and 600 M wide. Assuming it's more or less a triangle, 1/2bh gives us 570 KM in area (0.5(600)(1900)= 570000 M= 570 KM).

There are 34 countries with less land area than the top of the Executor, according to https://www.worldometers.info/geography/largest-countries-in-the-world/

It is larger than all countries smaller than the Isle of Man.

3 hours ago, Npmartian said:

The Executor is 1900 M long, and 600 M wide. Assuming it's more or less a triangle, 1/2bh gives us 570 KM in area (0.5(600)(1900)= 570000 M= 570 KM).

There are 34 countries with less land area than the top of the Executor, according to https://www.worldometers.info/geography/largest-countries-in-the-world/

It is larger than all countries smaller than the Isle of Man.

When converting between M^2 and KM^2, you have to divide by 1 Million, not 1000, as a square kilometre is 1,000,000x Square metres. Also the executor was 19km long and 6km wide so the numbers were slightly skewed, giving it a total area of roughly 57km^2. A bit far from 570, but still making it larger that the 11 smallest countries, not to count that the number of decks would probably bring that number way up.

8 hours ago, Atromix said:

When converting between M^2 and KM^2, you have to divide by 1 Million, not 1000, as a square kilometre is 1,000,000x Square metres. Also the executor was 19km long and 6km wide so the numbers were slightly skewed, giving it a total area of roughly 57km^2. A bit far from 570, but still making it larger that the 11 smallest countries, not to count that the number of decks would probably bring that number way up.

Ah, thanks for the corrections. I also found various numbers for the scale, so I'm not sure which ones hold up.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, eliteone said:

I'd personally rank both the B and A-Wings higher. 

The X-Wing would probably make the #1 star-fighter on most top sci-fi star-fighter lists. My top three:

1. X-Wing

2. Viper Mk. 2 / Mk. 7

3. VF-1 Valkyrie

Although the Viper was designed to capitalize on the Xwing’s popularity, I like the Viper more.

Valkyries, being transformable F14s, are awesome.

Don’t forget the compact but cool Starfuries!

The X-Wing would probably make the #1 star-fighter on most top sci-fi star-fighter lists. My top three:

1. X-Wing

2. Viper Mk. 2 / Mk. 7

3. VF-1 Valkyrie

Although the Viper was designed to capitalize on the Xwing’s popularity, I like the Viper more.

1. X-Wing

2. Viper Mk. 2 / Mk. 7

3. VF-1 Valkyrie

In regards to B-Wings not looking like the letter "B", I have always thought it looks like a lower case "b" with the cockpit as the loop. Except twisting in flight as it does, it could be a d-wing, p-wing, or a q-wing! Oh well.😊

12 hours ago, axe238 said:

In regards to B-Wings not looking like the letter "B", I have always thought it looks like a lower case "b" with the cockpit as the loop. Except twisting in flight as it does, it could be a d-wing, p-wing, or a q-wing! Oh well.😊

In the script of Return of the Jedi, the fighters were listed as "A Fighter" and "B Fighter". By the time filming/editing/toy production came around, they still didn't have names, so they went with A-Wing and B-Wing to keep up with the established canon (what a concept) of X-Wing's and Y-Wing's.

I think I remember reading that in the book: Sculpting a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars Model Shop.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:00 AM, Ling27 said:

The word alphabet comes from the first two characters...

Alpha, Beta...

Thus only the Greek character set is an Alphabet, all others should be called Character Sets. IE: The English Character Set...

I'm fine with my "abecedario", so thanks

On 9/10/2019 at 9:34 PM, Grathew said:

I'd take a Viper Mk 2 over an X-wing any day. "Faster", more maneuverable, can mount nukes along with fighter to fighter missiles, and 30mm auto-cannons. 

Having energy shields and Laser/Plasmacannons that recharchge by a reactor and have a much higher damage  output has its charme tough, and the X-Wing can mount Missles (and mininukes)

On 9/11/2019 at 4:48 PM, Madaghmire said:

Terrible wron though. The B stands for "Behind Y-Wing in beeing a blasting Bomber", A stands for "Awesome after admirable Y-Wings"