LUZ_TAK

Future of the Rebel faction?

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Wow, "X-Wing is in a good spot" lasted, what, 2 hours??

The purpose of the thread is to talk about what is next for Rebels, in the context of how great the game is right now.

There are other, more whiny-oriented, "un-nerf my rebels" threads around. So far, this thread is delivering what was hoped.

About the swarm-style, I agree that full swarms (7 or 8 ships) are not "in character" of the faction. Yet it could cater for a 5 ship squad with synergies that feel like an "elite mini swarm". Even if it's just for variety.

1 hour ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn?  Show us on the doll where the mean old Legends new jedi touched you in a bad way.

Oh, I have no problem with you appreciating Legends.

But you’ve gotta understand that FFG isn’t going to give characters access to the force if they aren’t Canon force users. That’s just how it is, sorry.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

Oh, I have no problem with you appreciating Legends.

But you’ve gotta understand that FFG isn’t going to give characters access to the force if they aren’t Canon force users. That’s just how it is, sorry.

I’m not so sure about that.  FFG has already brought in their own ship (Raider) and pilots that they themselves created.  Dalan Oberos for example doesn’t appear anywhere outside of an FFG game, as well as a couple other characters such as Quinn Jast, or (IIRC) Viktor Hel and/or Captain Jostero.  It is extremely unlikely, but plausible that FFG could print a B-Wing pilot named “General Gary Stuemeinster” that happens to be a force user with 3 force that can spend a token to “Push all the buttons” and fire every cannon and torpedo equipped on his ship instead of making a primary attack.  

Likewise to a later developed Kyle and Corran, it’s very unlikey that they will.  But far as I’m aware they haven’t come out and explicitly said that the only force-users would be strictly canon ones.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

4 minutes ago, CoffeeMinion said:

For whatever it’s worth, I’d like to see these guys get restored to canon as Force-users somehow.

Do it 

Bonus points if they somehow reflect their backstories and quirks. Corran was very bad at force telekinesis but quite talented in mind trick. 

@It’s One Of Ours all of which (legends/made up stuff) was in 1e.

When there’s precedent for them making things up for 2.0, then maybe I’d start to believe you.

And no, they haven’t explicitly said that the only Force Users in the game would be canon Force Users. But actions speak louder than words, and the lack of Force on Corran and Kyle right now speaks worlds about the likelihood of it happening in the future.

Edited by SpiderMana

7 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Ok. So besides new pilots and some new upgrades that might find perfect home in a rebel ship... that's it?

Uh, kind of, yeah.  FFG is right, there is really not much left as far as new ships to add.  So other than filling in some Initiative spots that are not used in some ships, or adding in 1.0 pilots, or putting existing pilots on more ships, they are about done.

That is not to say that points changes won't breath life into certain ships or pilots, or new upgrades, etc.

And even though I fly pretty much every faction (well, have not had the budget for the prequel ones - yet) Rebels will always be my go to favorite.

16 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Ok. So besides new pilots and some new upgrades that might find perfect home in a rebel ship... that's it?

What else is there?  Pretty much any unreleased ships are legends deep cuts (shallowest one is YT-2000, and that's fairly deep).  It'd certainly be cool to see more pilots, to see scenario packs (I keep rooting for era-themed scenario bundles with alternate paint schemes of existing ships with new pilots as well as missions), crew which wind up being helpful.  But too many new ships doesn't seem too likely to me.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

And no, they haven’t explicitly said that the only Force Users in the game would be canon Force Users. But actions speak louder than words, and the lack of Force on Corran and Kyle right now speaks worlds about the likelihood of it happening in the future.

As to non-Force pilots in 2e who I wish were Force Users, Zuckuss and Gand Findsman would have been really cool.  That would have given a really different feel to the G1-A if it was a generic Force platform, and it'd give a reason for pilots other than 4-LOM to exist.  As is, the ship is just too similar to the Kimogila and the Scurrg.

Edited by theBitterFig

It'd be nice if scum did get a second force-user other than Assaj.

One thing I'll be intrigued to see is what they decide to do with Scum long-term; obviously the bulk of scum that exists today is galactic civil war era, but the quadjumper is resistance era, and there's no inherent reason you couldn't see clone wars era scum (Aurra Sing, for example) since we've already gotten Cad Bane as a crew card (and Assaj herself, to be fair).

Edited by Magnus Grendel

7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

As to non-Force pilots in 2e who I wish were Force Users, Zuckuss and Gand Findsman would have been really cool.  That would have given a really different feel to the G1-A if it was a generic Force platform, and it'd give a reason for pilots other than 4-LOM to exist.  As is, the ship is just too similar to the Kimogila and the Scurrg.

I would have liked this as well as well, it could have made the G1-A really stand out from the other ships. Since the Gand were meant to be Force sensitive but not blatant Force-users like the Jedi, I thought they might have given them a Force token but no Force slot (or vice-versa).

3 hours ago, Ysenhal said:

I would have liked this as well as well, it could have made the G1-A really stand out from the other ships. Since the Gand were meant to be Force sensitive but not blatant Force-users like the Jedi, I thought they might have given them a Force token but no Force slot (or vice-versa).

I don't think anything non-canonical will get force charges in this game.  This is a fact we will have to live with.  

2 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

I so want to see her in the game! And she even got mentioned in Solo—that almost counts as a recent canon appearance!

I missed that mention.  What was the context?

Rebels really aren't doing too badly. 

Honestly, I think the reason keep struggling with them is simply because they're actually kinda boring to play. 

I've been a diehard Rebels player since wave 5 of 1e, but I've been playing more and more Imperial lists lately because they're just more fun. Imperials get better ship abilities, some great statlines and some simply good fun pilot abilities. I think it's easier for people to get better with their lists when they enjoy flying them.

Rebels could come back in a second with a couple of judicious point adjustments, so I'm really not too worried about them. The Moldy Crow title needs to come back down. It's basically the only thing that makes Jan or Kyle worth flying, and we had a really good little ship on our hands for a couple of months at the start. It doesn't need to go all the way back down, but FFG definitely overdid the nerf. I just can't find a 3 ship list that works with the HWK now, which is a shame because it's fun. 

Rebels also have a problem with their faction identity not working out so well. They're meant to be all about those synergies, but I just don't think any of them are reliable, strong enough or costed correctly to get a strong, but balanced and reliable list. 

Garven is a classic example. It's a really strong ability when it works, balanced by Garven being I4 (so he can't really support those I5s and I6s, where it could get unfair). But he lacks a reliable trigger. He's just too expensive for a ship that might work, when all that happens if he works is a single free focus token in your list (how many Scum abilities get you extra calculate tokens? How much bull**** can you pull off with tokens in Sep lists?). 

Garven and Perceptive Copilot Esege Tuketu should be a great combo, but there isn't quite a nailed on third ship, the costs are a little prohibitive and it requires a very specific style of flying. 

Again, though, this is easy to fix. The right upgrades and the right new pilots and Rebels are good to go. Braylen and Ten are still great pilots, and probably fairly costed at the moment, but they're struggling to maximise their abilities now that support options like Leia and Cassian are harder to field. They're about to get an s-foils configuration, though, and who knows how much that might help? Giving the B-Wings some additional maneuvering options on 'off' turns could be a balanced way to help them out - an effect that's less beneficial and comes with a trade off, but is built into the ship itself rather than relying on a whole extra ship could make them viable without requiring specific, counterable lists. 

And Gina Moonsong is coming along, and she could well be designed to complement Braylen. They're in a relationship in the short stories, so I can see the two of them getting some good synergy in abilities. This could be a great example of a new pilot helping the faction by themselves, just by being good, but also helping out existing pilots. 

I'm not worried about Rebels at all. 

I'd like the A-Wings to get a little cheaper, and to get an actual ace on the chassis (I don't want a Rebel Soontir Fel, but something broadly similar in terms of just being fun would still be nice). I'd like the HWK pilots or Moldy Crow or both to come down to make the HWK worth fielding again. I'd like a couple of unique astromechs to give the faction options resembling those of the Republic (as it is, most of the unique astros are just the generics with more charges, which is seriously boring). A couple of new pilots like Gina, a couple of returning or shifted pilots like Tycho, Shara Bey in an A-Wing or Wes and a couple of mods like Passive Sensors that could help out Rebel generics (the two main Rebel ships with the sensor slot don't get the most out of PS, IMO, not like Gunboats or TIE Advanceds). All of that would be good.

How about some decent gunners that don't cost a small moon? 

On 9/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

This would be nice.

A Hoth mission set could give you Luke Skywalker: Rogue Leader, for example, or (going the other way) Wedge Antilles as a Phoenix Group cadet.

Id setting for a Rogue Squadron expansion pack, that had "General Wedge Antillies, Lt Corran Horn, etc etc etc, based on the Novel x-wing series, and all the pilots would have synergy with each other. Thats how NAMED pilots should play out.

2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I'd like the HWK pilots or Moldy Crow or both to come down to make the HWK worth fielding again.

Could they make Moldy Crow cheaper for Rebels but not Scum?  Or make it a Rebel-only upgrade?