ChahDresh

Grand meta-analysis-- what we can learn from one wild month of Extended

So just a question about the Buenos Aires event data, are they still not getting current product or did they ever get replacement produce from 2.0 release? 

-R

6 hours ago, ChahDresh said:

Most-played ship by list appearances: X-Wing (11 lists out of 16 with at least one Lambda)

I'm glad to know Lambdas are allowed in Rebel squads so they are able to taste a little bit of the mighty Empire :P

Now, in a more serious note, I'd like to know which ships weren't fielded in Rebel and Scum, although I imagine we can correctly guess most of them...

Edited by Chetote

57 minutes ago, Chetote said:

I'm glad to know Lambdas are allowed in Rebel squads so they are able to taste a little bit of the mighty Empire :P

Now, in a more serious note, I'd like to know which ships weren't fielded in Rebel and Scum, although I imagine we can correctly guess most of them...

Good catch, fixed.

As to the unplayed ships, they are: the Attack Shuttle, K-Wing, TIE Fighter, YT-2400, and Z-95 for the Rebels; IG-2000, YT-1300, Escape Craft (sorry, Marcel), and Jumpmaster for Scum; and the Starfortress for the Resistance. (The two-point drop to the Starfortress didn't exactly move the needle, it seems.)

Edited by ChahDresh

Of these ships, the only one that surprises me is the escape craft. It's still an effective little coordinator, so it's absence must be related to list building, rather than the viability of the chassis.

But yeah, overall these absences make sense. I had the Auzituck pegged for the list of neglected ships, but I'm glad to hear it's getting some love.

50 minutes ago, ChahDresh said:

Good catch, fixed.

As to the unplayed ships, they are: the Attack Shuttle, K-Wing, TIE Fighter, YT-2400, and Z-95 for the Rebels; IG-2000, YT-1300, Escape Craft (sorry, Marcel), and Jumpmaster for Scum; and the Starfortress for the Resistance. (The two-point drop to the Starfortress didn't exactly move the needle, it seems.)

So the big centerpiece ships in this list  need some love, but I bet some of the cheaper ships COULD make a cut if a dedicated player decided to take them (much like the TIE aggressor). 

The power curve is so much flatter that there’s a good chance that things aren’t performing because people just haven’t taken them, not because they’re that underpowered. 

1 hour ago, ChahDresh said:

Good catch, fixed.

****, I have all of those (and even 2x IGs) :(

16 minutes ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

So what 10 did not make it?

2 hours ago, ChahDresh said:

Good catch, fixed.

11 hours ago, ChahDresh said:

And that Infiltrator player, the one bold enough to try something others didn’t dare attempt, won the whole darn thing in Australia.

And that, perhaps, is the final takeaway. There are so many different things finding success, from so many different factions. While I’ve tried to highlight the things that are doing well—and there are some things that are unambiguously Good—the number of different styles and archetypes defies easy characterization.

In a way, this is liberating. It means you can fly what you love—and, if you’ve put in the reps and know how it works, odds are you’ll be fine.

It’s a good time to be playing X-Wing.

What was the Dooku list from Australia?  I haven't been paying attention to the Extended field because I've been focused on HS building and testing.

The Dooku list was 6 TFDs with Struts and Dooku with Scimitar, Heightened Perception, Grievous, tractor beam and K2-B4 as the relay.

It could do some amazing things. It could stay cloaked to mitigate incoming damage, use Dooku to shed the cloak token, then Tractor a target to serve up to the droids. Or, if a target is weakened, it could opt to shoot at 7 to scoop it. The relay forces mind games on the enemy, especially with the threat of the tractor beam looming.

19 minutes ago, ChahDresh said:

The Dooku list was 6 TFDs with Struts and Dooku with Scimitar, Heightened Perception, Grievous, tractor beam and K2-B4 as the relay

****, I’ve got one more Hyperspace Trial this season, and I was looking at building a list with the Ghost (assuming it joins Hyperspace this weekend), but I could try that, too. I finally started looking at Dooku Tractor shenanigans, but hadn’t seriously considered Vultures with no ESCs, let alone switching to K2-B4.

I... really like this list.

40 minutes ago, ChahDresh said:

The Dooku list was 6 TFDs with Struts and Dooku with Scimitar, Heightened Perception, Grievous, tractor beam and K2-B4 as the relay.

It could do some amazing things. It could stay cloaked to mitigate incoming damage, use Dooku to shed the cloak token, then Tractor a target to serve up to the droids. Or, if a target is weakened, it could opt to shoot at 7 to scoop it. The relay forces mind games on the enemy, especially with the threat of the tractor beam looming.

If only I had the droids...I'll have to theorycraft with what I have, and use this as the base.

So what I’m hearing is that the devs have done a phenomenal job of adjusting between ships, and now they need to focus down a bit on adjusting within them. I’d love to see some rebel and imperial generics go down, especially the iconic TIE/ln and TIE/in, whose generics almost never see the table. I want to see them experiment with crossing a few more thresholds for sure.

Also curious what a small drop to lock-based missiles and ion/HLC cannons would do for the underused ships.

Also there’s superabundant proof now that the YT2400 needs a price cut and the Jump needs an errata to the action bar or title.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

27 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

So what I’m hearing is that the devs have done a phenomenal job of adjusting between ships, and now they need to focus down a bit on adjusting within them. I’d love to see some rebel and imperial generics go down, especially the iconic TIE/ln and TIE/in, whose generics almost never see the table. I want to see them experiment with crossing a few more thresholds for sure.

Also curious what a small drop to lock-based missiles and ion/HLC cannons would do for the underused ships.

Also there’s superabundant proof now that the YT2400 needs a price cut and the Jump needs an errata to the action bar or title.

Generic /ins won't see much play until they cost initiatives more appropriately.

I agree generally with this assessment, and am pretty happy with the state of the game. Its good knowing I don't know all the answers yet. And the interactions are diverse enough to show that at this point, there's a lot of design details I still don't understand that I think the devs do. 

(There are things that I know well, and I'll tell em to you guys when its needed. But I am very happy there's much more to explore) 

great summary. as a scum player I'm interested mostly in them. Fenn is costly and rather fragile. without ability to take modifications from hull upgrade or stealth device like Soontir or any shields at all (poe and wedge at least have some psuedo-durability) im not surprised that Old Teroch (56pts) gets the nod over Fenn Rau (68pts). in a meta filled with squirelly Jedi with force mods and hard hitting ships like wedge Fenn isn't going to give back enough value because he just dies to easily. Good to see Torkil and friends like 4-LOM and capts sevor  getting played regularly. Right now im thinking Ketsu/maul/fearless+Old Teroch/predator+kavil/VTG/DT is the strongest scum list right now.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

On 9/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

great summary. as a scum player I'm interested mostly in them. Fenn is costly and rather fragile. without ability to take modifications from hull upgrade or stealth device like Soontir or any shields at all (poe and wedge at least have some psuedo-durability) im not surprised that Old Teroch (56pts) gets the nod over Fenn Rau (68pts). in a meta filled with squirelly Jedi with force mods and hard hitting ships like wedge Fenn isn't going to give back enough value because he just dies to easily. Good to see Torkil and friends like 4-LOM and capts sevor  getting played regularly. Right now im thinking Ketsu/maul/fearless+Old Teroch/predator+kavil/VTG/DT is the strongest scum list right now.

Ketsu, Seevor, Teroch, 4-LOM, Torkil, they all have those pesky "dirty tricks" we all like to go on and on about. After Palob went bye-bye as the most points efficient a-hole pilot (THIEF!), other a-hole pilots giving out negative effects took his spot :) 

Apart from Teroch, the others can also interact with Jedi pilots.
The jedi do not have to have green tokens for Palob to steal or Teroch to discard (except Obi?), however they do have to roll green dice which Ketsu can take away, have a bit more limited blues to clear stress from 4-LOM (or 0-0-0 or both), want to keep their locks un-jammed and would like to Initiative kill something. 

It also helps they are not too expensive compared to the former power pieces like Fenn, Boba and Moldy Palob.

But like... give me my old Brobots back you darn dirty apes!

On the topic of making TIE Fighter generics cheaper... do we really need Howl + 7 Academies in the game? 

Edited by Polda