Jump to content
Ranker

2 Core Sets for Clone Wars?

Recommended Posts

Is it still optimal to buy two core sets for Clone Wars like we did for the initial game or is it better to one buy and fill out with expansion packs?

 

Also for someone out of the loop the last 2-3 months, is Clone Wars set in a different era and therefore some units/rules won't be in effect or will it be fully compatible with releases thus far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ranker said:

Is it still optimal to buy two core sets for Clone Wars like we did for the initial game or is it better to one buy and fill out with expansion packs?

 

Also for someone out of the loop the last 2-3 months, is Clone Wars set in a different era and therefore some units/rules won't be in effect or will it be fully compatible with releases thus far?

Yes. 2 cores is still the most economical.

It is fully compatible with GCW stuff released so far. Just adds new playable factions and upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the value proposition was that 2 core sets got you 2 packs of dice, two sets of measuring tools, and two sets of barricades, which gave you an additional $45 of retail value, plus the included minis ($13 x 2 commanders, $25 x 8 Corp units, and $20 x 4 Support units).  So you were getting around ~$400 of value for $180 (less if your core sets were on sale).

Now you probably don't need more measuring tools, or barricades if you are already playing the game, so that's not as much of a boon.  The new core box is $100, contains two commanders ($13 each),  4x corps ($25 each for the new corp sets) and 2x support units (BARC is $25 and Droideka's are $30 a box).  So your box comes with $194 of retail value if you don't include the new measuring tools and barricades but do include the extra dice (which you'll probably need for all the droids.

So yes it's still a great value proposition to get two core sets to start your Droid/Clone armies.  Best if you can swap a faction with a buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, still the economical way to go unless you just really don’t want so many of the same corps unit. Although the newer ones cost more as well.

I am going double core split with a friend. I get 99% of an army right there, 100% once the heavy upgrade pack comes out. Add a few bits now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will anything be released alongside the new Clone Wars core set? And if so, will they just be units already contained inside the core set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ranker said:

Will anything be released alongside the new Clone Wars core set? And if so, will they just be units already contained inside the core set?

Yes. AFAIK they are releasing BARCs, Phase 1 clones, B1 Battdroids, and Droideka at the same time as the core sets, but each of those extra expansions are contained in the core sets. See the previous posts for a value breakdown.

The next expansions for CIS (droids), and Republic (Clones) will be B2 Super Battledroids and Phase 2 clone Troopers, both of which will be different corps units. They are set to release sometime before the end of this year. If you’re also playing clones (and not splitting your core sets with someone), you can also get the Escape Pod expansion which also comes out before the end of the year and will contain R2-D2 and C-3PO, who can be added to a Republic army.

The next expansions, Heavy vehicles and a second commander, come out in the first quarter of 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ranker said:

Is it still optimal to buy two core sets for Clone Wars like we did for the initial game or is it better to one buy and fill out with expansion packs?

 

Also for someone out of the loop the last 2-3 months, is Clone Wars set in a different era and therefore some units/rules won't be in effect or will it be fully compatible with releases thus far?

I’m getting one core box and giving away all the CIS specific components to a friend who is also buying a core box and giving me all the Clones specific components. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

 

The next expansions for CIS (droids), and Republic (Clones) will be B2 Super Battledroids and Phase 2 clone Troopers, both of which will be different corps units. They are set to release sometime before the end of this year. If you’re also playing clones (and not splitting your core sets with someone), you can also get the Escape Pod expansion which also comes out before the end of the year and will contain R2-D2 and C-3PO, who can be added to a Republic army.

The next expansions, Heavy vehicles and a second commander, come out in the first quarter of 2020.

Aren't the squad upgrade packs out before the end of the year? So they'll be additional heavy weapons and squad leaders to make use of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bwingstrike said:

Aren't the squad upgrade packs out before the end of the year? So they'll be additional heavy weapons and squad leaders to make use of.

Based on the articles we’ve seen, yes. They should be here before any “new” units.

Im looking forward to them for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im pretty sure the article for b2 droids, phase 2 clones, both rex and dooku and the 2 tanks said Q1 next year, only clone wars expensions comming before end of the year outside core set and accompany expansion boxes for the contained units is the heavy weapons and personel box for phase 1 clone troopers and b1 droids

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TerrorScream said:

im pretty sure the article for b2 droids, phase 2 clones, both rex and dooku and the 2 tanks said Q1 next year, only clone wars expensions comming before end of the year outside core set and accompany expansion boxes for the contained units is the heavy weapons and personel box for phase 1 clone troopers and b1 droids

 

Yup, if you want 800pnts of functional army before next year multiple cores is the cheap and fast way. For separatists I'm buying 2x cores and doing a half swap with 1. All the b1's!!!!!!!

 

Edit: should say at this point clones don't excite me. If I get the bug I'll fill my army out with phase 2's when they drop

Edited by Ralgon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Yes. AFAIK they are releasing BARCs, Phase 1 clones, B1 Battdroids, and Droideka at the same time as the core sets, but each of those extra expansions are contained in the core sets. See the previous posts for a value breakdown.

The next expansions for CIS (droids), and Republic (Clones) will be B2 Super Battledroids and Phase 2 clone Troopers, both of which will be different corps units. They are set to release sometime before the end of this year. If you’re also playing clones (and not splitting your core sets with someone), you can also get the Escape Pod expansion which also comes out before the end of the year and will contain R2-D2 and C-3PO, who can be added to a Republic army.

The next expansions, Heavy vehicles and a second commander, come out in the first quarter of 2020.

I just realized my post was incorrect. It’s the corps upgrade expansions (1 for each faction) that is coming out before the end of the year and not the B2 and Phase 2 Troopers. The B2s and Phase 2s will be out in the first quarter of 2020.

Sorry for the confusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, charlesanakin said:

Who cares about economy. I need two sculpts of Grievous (saber/blaster and 4 saber) and I need stand up and rolling sculpts of Droidekas. Gotta have 2 Core sets.

1 core set comes with 4 droidekas 2 standing up and 2 rolling, that way u can switch them out in game when they switch modes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lunitic501 said:

1 core set comes with 4 droidekas 2 standing up and 2 rolling, that way u can switch them out in game when they switch modes

6 xb1's and 2x driodeka's barely makes a list. He's still on the right track.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

6 xb1's and 2x driodeka's barely makes a list. He's still on the right track.....

Never said it made a list was just pointing out that u get both standing and rolling droidekas in 1 core set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two cores is economically the way to go, but it should be remembered that upgrade cards like Electrobinoclulars, smoke grenades, and Linked Targeting Array do not come in the core set.  If you want those, you'll have to get the expansions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Two cores is economically the way to go, but it should be remembered that upgrade cards like Electrobinoclulars, smoke grenades, and Linked Targeting Array do not come in the core set.  If you want those, you'll have to get the expansions. 

Or the card pack has LTA and electrobinocs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was initially going to go with two core sets, but have since decided not to. It is the most economical way to get into the game and still think it is best for new players, but it doesn't fit my needs. I went with two of the original core sets, so I have plenty of dice/tools already. However, I have found that as new sets were released, I use the units from the second core less and less. I won't be able to run an 800 point Clone/Separatist army quite as soon, but I would rather use that extra $100 on future units. 

The core set may be the most economical, but it doesn't help if I end up not using those extra units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit confused given the discussion:

Upon the core set release, there's only going to be core set + ????

Before end of year but not same time as the core set, ????? will be released?

Next year Q1, ????? will be released?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ranker said:

I'm a bit confused given the discussion:

Upon the core set release, there's only going to be core set + ????

Before end of year but not same time as the core set, ????? will be released?

Next year Q1, ????? will be released?

It looks like B1s and Phase 1 Clones will be released with the Core Set, then Droidekas and BARCs afterwards. The only other Clone Wars release this year are (we believe) the Corps upgrade packs with new Trooper upgrades and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My policy for my Empire army has been 2 of each corp and 1 of everything else, and since I already have the dice, etc. I expect to be purchasing the droid half of someone else's set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...