4 hours ago, CSerpent said:

rawn to the Flame demystified the new Myriad rule today.  It is very germane to the discussion of Patrice and, arguably, Versatile.

What is the new myriad rule?

Patrice deckbuilding revealed on FFG Live

Details:

42 cards, Survivor 0-5, Mystic 0-2, Neutral 0-5.  1 basic weakness

Video inside (deckbuilding at 6:08.  Also, Tommy's at 6:40, but this thread is about Patrice)

Oh, also -- they play the first scenario.

Edited by CSerpent
tagged for size

I'm almost disappointed by it, to be honest...I was looking forward for the challenge of how to make up for her stats using clever combinations and throwing cards at the problem, similar to playing Preston Fairmont. I was thinking about whether she'd be able to make good use of Improvised Weapon, how she'd have a different playstyle every turn, using events and skills left and right, and so forth. Now it's going to be a relatively simple matter of Peter S (2), Holy Rosary, Shrivelling/Song of the Dead/whatever, Rite of Seeking (2)/Sixth Sense, and you're set for decent investigation and combat ability, and her bad statline is pretty irrelevant. The 42 card deck is interesting, but she'll see everything in her deck in 9 turns and find it easy to set up as an off-Mystic. I almost wish she was only able to take Mystic events and skills.

But it is what it is; there'll still be a lot of cards to add to her deck and a lot of flexibility. Access to Fearless and spells to make Willpower tests means that horror from reshuffling her deck is a complete non-issue, but that was already the case between Peter Sylvestre and Cherished Keepsake, so whatever. I'm still totally up for playing her, but I think she's going to prove to be pretty overpowered, especially given how incredible Survivor is by now.

The big problem is going to be that events like Eucatastrophe, Will to Survive and Ward of Protection will be far less valuable since you have to use them the turn you draw them, not wait until the right moment, which just reinforces a more asset-heavy, skill-heavy playstyle. Don't get me wrong, I'll still take them, but it'll be like Mystic!Diana using cancel cards - smoke 'em immediately rather than save them for a rainy day.

Totally going for 2x Relic Hunter, taking Holy Rosary and Grisly Totem.

All in all, I think she's both the most powerful and the most interesting of the Dream-Eaters investigators, which is saying something because they all seem really awesome.

I hear you about her power level with the addition of mystic cards. But whereas you guys tend to play taboo and hard difficulties, I’m happy her will is more useful than a simple treachery reducer since I’m fairly content in easy. 42 cards doesn’t surprise me really but I wonder why not just 40. 

Survivor mystic is an archetype that I really love but there’s gonna be some strategies that go right out the window for her because of her hand discard. Reactive events like ward of protection and eldritch inspiration etc are going to be hard to include because you can’t play them strategically. 

I’m much happier knowing she gets 0-2 mystic.

Edited by Soakman

1 minute ago, rsdockery said:

Do Myriad cards not count as three separate cards? That was my understanding, anyway.

Yes, I guess it's just Bonded that messes with your deck size.  I was conflating them because of the one that's both.