Sign in to follow this  
KnightsProdigy

Tips for a player new to minature gaming in general.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, KnightsProdigy said:

Hi, I'm thinking about getting into Star Wars Legion and I'm wondering what to get for the game and paints and all, basically how to start off. I haven't done minature gaming before either.

I will respond with more details later. But basically, two core sets is the best way to affordably get two 800 point armies. Then add any imperial (and two rebel) expansions to finish it up as you’ll still be a few points shy. 

Use tabletop admiral’s dot com as a list builder. 

Hi, I'm thinking about getting into Star Wars Legion and I'm wondering what to get for the game and paints and all, basically how to start off. I haven't done minature gaming before either.

Try to find a local store that has a group of Legion players. Most groups will loan you stuff to try the game. 

As Ginjo said, find some players and play a few games.

Try the different factions and see what you like to play.

When you ready to jump on 2 core boxes (the same one) are the way to go. More bang for your buck.

You'll get double commanders and 4 core troops (Need 3 at least for an army) and 2 support for the 2 factions. Double the tools, dice, and tokens. 

As for painting look on youtube for how to paint legion, your store may have someone running painting nights, or know painters

As far as painting goes I recommend Vallejo but you could also use citadel or army painter. Just make sure you are using a dedicated miniature paint designed for a brush. Regular (not for miniatures) paint will be likely to clog up the model and fill in the fine details. There are also miniature paints designed for use with an air brush, which won't work well with a regular brush. If you are going with Vallejo the model colour and game colour sets are what you want. If you are going with citadel or army painter whatever you pick up off the shelf should work fine.

Painting is done in layers. At the most basic level you want a primer followed by base coats, each part of the model will see two layers of paint. Most people also apply a wash.

A primer is used to get the following layers to stick to the plastic model. If you don't have a primer the paint the bead up (like water droplets on glass) rather than evenly coat the surface. The primer also helps to prevent the paint coming off when you handle the model. Brush on primers are tricky to use and most people buy a rattle can of spray primer. Again, use the above brands as hardware store primer sprays will clog up the model. Use white if you like bright stand out colours (or if you are painting storm troopers/clones). Use black if you want to bring out shadow in the model. Gray is middle of the road but it can be hard to tell what has been primed as the model plastic is also gray. Don't drown your models in the spray, just use thin light coats until the model is completely covered.

Next you will be brush painting on the colour base coats. You want to mix your paints about 50/50 with water on the pallet so it goes onto the model in a smooth layer. If a section of the model doesn't get the colour intensity you are after don't just pile on more wet paint. Instead, wait for the first layer to dry and then do a second.

That will get your models on the table with some colour but most people also like to give their models a wash. A wash is a very thin dark paint that is designed to flow into the recesses of a model. Models don't have enough depth to cast their own shadows so the wash makes them look much more realistic and goes a long way to hide any mistakes you made while doing the base coat. You will be shocked at how much better a model looks with a wash and I highly recommend you use them. Washes are easy to apply, just paint them all over the model and let the wash do the work. Don't let the wash pool on flat surfaces though, you will get drying marks.

For more specific details there are loads of miniature painting tutorials on youtube, including several dedicated to Star Wars Legion.

Edited by L3rr1s

Sorry this took me awhile. The best thing to do is get two core sets plus whatever imperial (and 2 rebel) expansions look coolest to you. Don't buy it all at once, just get one core and play a few learning games.

Buy the best paint that fits your budget. A surefire path to misery is using sucky paint, and/or spending more than you can afford. I'd use the Army Painter ones in these videos if you're really brand new.

Here's a great pair of rebel and imperial beginner painting videos.