Admiral Ro

XX-9 Turbolasers question

The  card reads "(Insert Crit symbol): The first 2 damage cards dealt to the defender by this attack are dealt face up." I am being told that unless I roll a Crit that penetrated the shields I do not get any use from this card (Because of the Crit symbol on the card at the beginning of the text block means it won't activate unless a Crit is rolled) . I think that is BS. If that was the intent it would have just said get another bloody face up card. Thoughts please I am not trying to rules lawyer anyone but if I don't understand the layout of the card blocks I will never learn to play right.

Ro.

xx9-turbolasers.png

Compare it to Assault Proton Toroedos, Which simply just adds a face up damage card.

You are correct in the XX9 is only an additional card (over the standard critical effect) when you are already dealing damage cards.

Unlike APT, it can be triggered on any colour critical die, and consequently can happen at any range.

Additionally, even if you’re only doing one damage card with the attack, it’s nice to have it because as a special critical effect, it’s not subject to cancellation with the contain token (unless DCO is involved).

Its hardly “BS”.

It’s in some ways a “win stronger” card rather than a “win easier” card, in which it makes success larger rather than more frequent.

For 5 points it means that unless someone is bringing DCO (Damage control officer) a standard contain can't stop XX9, which means your crits get in and you can pull faceup damage cards.
Uses for the card vary depending on your list, not all cards are great on all ships.

Edited by Karneck

34 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Compare it to Assault Proton Toroedos, Which simply just adds a face up damage card.

You are correct in the XX9 is only an additional card (over the standard critical effect) when you are already dealing damage cards.

Unlike APT, it can be triggered on any colour critical die, and consequently can happen at any range.

Additionally, even if you’re only doing one damage card with the attack, it’s nice to have it because as a special critical effect, it’s not subject to cancellation with the contain token (unless DCO is involved).

Its hardly “BS”.

It’s in some ways a “win stronger” card rather than a “win easier” card, in which it makes success larger rather than more frequent.

So I do need a Crit to activate the card. So a much better way to word this card would be "Upon dealing a face up card plus damage the first two cards are face up" that would seem a lot clearer. So if a card has a symbol on it before the text that is required to activate the card?

Okay fair enough.. thanks

Think of it this way:

YOU ALWAYS GET TO DECLARE A CRITICAL EFFECT.

(as long as you have a Crit symbol in your dice pool at the  appropriate time.)

XX9 shares wording with the standard critical. Which is basically:

“IF you deal damage cards (as at this point you have not even calculated your damage), then the first will be face up.”

XX9 just makes it “First two” instead of “first”.