Sign in to follow this  
MasterShake2

LE Obi, complete with high ground

47 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

What about a squad of 7 baby tauntauns on small bases holding Rebel Trooper's weaponry? The one 3rd party resin stuff I'd buy. An actual army of tauntauns.

...like little Tautauns with adorable hats and earmuffs for vets, and salad bowl hats for fleet troopers? God, I would lose so much money if that happened.

Don't have any huge feeling of affection to the sculpt, so I'm not mad I won't be able to get one.

Exclusives and artificial scarcity are still dumb and bad.

People who smugly criticize others for caring about things they don't care about are still...you get the idea.

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I dunno who is actually mad about them. I do think con exclusives are a generally bad thing though. If they're going to make them, they should make X per admissions ticket sold to the con, where X is a whole positive number, and limit them to X per customer. I don't like it when the companies create scarcity. It's just a big present to scalpers and with mass produced objects there's no reason for it. Once you are saddling up the machines to make them, it doesn't cost you anything to make a bunch more. I hate the false scarcity more than the actual event exclusivity. Like when Lego makes a very popular superhero minifig, once, as a con exclusive, without even making enough for the whole con, and that was the only way to ever get that character at all. It's just a huge present to con scalpers and Chinese counterfit factories.

PS Legion should have a dumb "Official Fan Club" I can join. I ❤️ sending people money to get stupid stuff in the mail.

I would love a fan club thing, like an alt model of the month or something.

3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

something good happening to someone else does NOT equal a bad thing happening to you because you didn’t get the good thing.

It does if the good thing only happens because they have more money. 

FFG is basically telling anyone who doesn't have the time or money to attend these events to get found the Alps. 

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I dunno who is actually mad about them.

Straight up, me. 

3 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Unlike the exclusive Vader, I really like this one.  Like, probably far more than I should.  I've been hoping someone would put out a good, Ep. III version of Obi-Wan I could add to my collection, and it looks like FFG were the ones to do that.  I was so disappointed when I realized it was a con exclusive.

I really HATE that they're locking the only known RotS  sculpt Obi behind an event exclusive. 

29 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

It does if the good thing only happens because they have more money. 

That makes no sense. At all.

Nobody stole your minis. Nobody took away something you were going to get.

Folks having the option to get a unique souvenir of their convention trip has no bearing on your life whatsoever.

Just now, ScummyRebel said:

That makes no sense. At all.

Nobody stole your minis. Nobody took away something you were going to get.

Folks having the option to get a unique souvenir of their convention trip has no bearing on your life whatsoever.

Really? It makes perfect sense to me.

They announce they've made a new product. I like said product. Then they announce that the only way to get said product is to attend an event at a specific location and time that the majority cannot attend due to time/cost restrictions. 

They've excluded most of their consumer base to incentivize event sales.

Worse yet, based on that Vader release, many of the people who buy this thing aren't even gonna use it. They're gonna sell it online for 300-600% profit. 

I'm pissed because I have the money to buy this product, a product that a money seeking entity is releasing, and I've essentially been told no by the company that sells it for no other reason than "you can't take a week off work go to Germany to get it". 

The more I think about it the saltier I'm getting. 

12 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Really? It makes perfect sense to me.

They announce they've made a new product. I like said product. Then they announce that the only way to get said product is to attend an event at a specific location and time that the majority cannot attend due to time/cost restrictions. 

Worse yet, based on that Vader release, many of the people who buy this thing aren't even gonna use it. They're gonna sell it online for 300-600% profit. 

I'm pissed because I have the money to buy this product, a product that a money seeking entity is releasing, and I've essentially been told no by the company that sells it for no other reason than "you can't take a week off work go to Germany to get it". 

The more I think about it the saltier I'm getting. 

I hope you never find out about Hummel figurines or first edition books or limited edition cars or limited run comic covers...  your head will explode.

11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

1. They haven’t announced a new product. They’ve announced a souvenir for those who are going.

2. They haven’t excluded the consumer base when the intent is a limited run souvenir. That’s like saying because a company makes widget X, if they offer gadget Y somewhere else that suddenly they excluded people buying X. Apples and oranges. Game expansions vs alternate sculpt souvenir.

3. They make no money off ticket sales at the con. They can’t care that much about attendance

4. Disagree - celebration was an all nerds convention not just gamers. This is a gaming convention. The folks buying are more likely than celebration to be buying them for personal collecting and some may dabble in legion while they’re at it.

12 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

1. They haven’t announced a new product. They’ve announced a souvenir for those who are going.

"So it is a sword. It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations."

"Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

12 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

2. They haven’t excluded the consumer base when the intent is a limited run souvenir. That’s like saying because a company makes widget X, if they offer gadget Y somewhere else that suddenly they excluded people buying X. Apples and oranges. Game expansions vs alternate sculpt souvenir.

Limited run that only a specific set of people can obtain... Maybe I'm going crazy...

ex·clude

/ikˈsklo͞od/
verb

1. deny (someone) access to or bar (someone) from a place, group, or privilege.
    "women had been excluded from many scientific societies"
    "People who are not at this event are excluded from being able to purchase this limited run directly"
    synonyms: keep out, deny access to, shut out, debar, disbar, bar, ban, prohibit, put an embargo on, embargo; More

Nope, still sane. Cool. 
Edited by Darth Sanguis

I think it's a real bummer when they do these event exclusives. Personally disappointed this time as OBI is one of my fave.

Also why no exclusive at Gencon, the only event I was actually able to attend :P;) 

I dunno. I don't like the idea of con exclusives beyond pretty minor stuff like alternate paintjobs for pre-painted plastic. Still. Some of my favorite models are old con exclusives, which became unexclusive later on which I guess I maybe wouldn't have if con exclusives weren't a thing.

I guess the question for people who are against it is, would you honestly be happier if they just never made the minis at all? Does that really solve anything?

Edited by TauntaunScout

8 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

would you honestly be happier if they just never made the minis at all? Does that really solve anything?

I mean, yeah, I think I would. Now that I know it exists, I'm kinda trapped. The original plan was to print off one of Mels sculpts and just make do, but now the I've seen the official one, it'll drive me absolutely mad not to have the better model.  Keep in mind, I guess it may matter, this isn't a whim, it's something I wanted from before the Clone Wars reveal (I hate the CW Obiwan design, RotS robes is what I wanted). 

710x528_23910926_13178989_1567200882.jpg

Mel's is pretty darn nice...

swlp02_obi-wan.gif

But holy crap this one is cool...

Honest to god I'd be happier today if FFG hadn't announced the limited run. I know it's highly unlikely I'll ever have it., and that freakin' bites. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

4 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Sounds like when I find out a way to do something more historically accurate that only I'll know is more accurate. Still have to spend tons of money on it.

Exactly. 

It may seem petty but I know EVERY time I see my Obi on the mats I'm gonna be bummed it's not the baller sculpt it could be. 

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Disagree - celebration was an all nerds convention not just gamers. This is a gaming convention. The folks buying are more likely than celebration to be buying them for personal collecting and some may dabble in legion while they’re at it.

I think you wouldn't say that if you knew how many of those were going for $150 bucks  or more... I admin one of the biggest buy/sell/trade groups on Facebook... if I had a nickle for every argument started by people annoyed at the scalper's price I'd have enough money to fly to Germany to get the new limited run.  (from what I hear it was also VERY poorly handled too).

All I can say is that you need to learn to live your own life and be happy.  There will always be people who get to go on bigger vacations, ride first class, own the fancy car, eat at the fancier restaurant and wear the nicer clothing.  You can spend your life in envy-fueled misery or you can move on.

Here is some more info on the subject:

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-cope-with-fomo-4174664

11 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

All I can say is that you need to learn to live your own life and be happy.  There will always be people who get to go on bigger vacations, ride first class, own the fancy car, eat at the fancier restaurant and wear the nicer clothing.  You can spend your life in envy-fueled misery or you can move on.

Here is some more info on the subject:

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-cope-with-fomo-4174664

2 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I hope you never find out about Hummel figurines or first edition books or limited edition cars or limited run comic covers...  your head will explode.

Hey man, I AM coping. 

What do you think all this whining on the forums is about? Fun? Heck no, I'm here ******* about it because it's an outlet. 

I live my own life, and part of that life is an excessive level of salt over plastic figures. That's NEVER going to change.

12 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Hey man, I AM coping. 

What do you think all this whining on the forums is about? Fun? Heck no, I'm here ******* about it because it's an outlet. 

I live my own life, and part of that life is an excessive level of salt over plastic figures. That's NEVER going to change.

Holding on to all that salt is not coping. And it’s not healthy for you.

Just now, ScummyRebel said:

Holding on to all that salt is not coping. And it’s not healthy for you.

Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse. 

I'm gonna try to get a copy once it's out. If it's anything like vader it'll only cost me $200 or so. 

After that, who knows, maybe I'll take up resin casting 🤔

This ObiWan mini is quite nice.  I would not mind having him (I’d personally take him off the gantry and repose him leaning on a ‘tactical rock’ though), but not so much that I’ll ask relatives in Germany to attend a convention for me.  So I guess my impulse control is not that bad.

I do however have some curiosity about the underlying financials of these limited editions. Does anyone know what the print run of LE ‘I’m cupping your balls’ Vader was?  I seem to recall reading 1500, but I could be wrong.

Unlike metal and resin, machining molds for plastic has a significant cost.  Not as bad as 10 years ago but still very noticeable.  Tack on the fact that plastic injection production lines can require scrapping up to the first 30+ minutes of the run while proper temps are achieved, and now you have actual production time of deliverables that might take less than that (depends a lot on the mould size/injection machine ofc) - very inefficient and the reason for minimum order numbers.  Then you have box printing and packing.  These costs all add up quick.  

I suppose they’re charging ~$60 and maybe see these as loss leaders as well,  but they are a bit of a head scratcher to me. The small run doesn’t make a lot of business sense, based on my guesstimates anyway.  Ofc I don’t know what the production numbers are for a regular release are either (5-10k boxes?) so I may be way off base.

It could be worse, the figure could also have new cards and abilities that you can only get at the Con.

I know with the con Vader, SDCC in the past has required con exclusives to remain con exclusives...vendors aren't allowed to sell the elsewhere.  This may be a similar case.  I don't have any issue with it....people going to Cons should be able to get things that those that don't go can't, it's part of the reward of putting in the time, effort, and money to support the con.  If you really, really want this Obi Wan....there's going to be plenty available on eBay.  And it'll cost you a lot less than a ticket to Germany and all the other expenses necessary to attend Essen.  

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

I suppose they’re charging ~$60 and maybe see these as loss leaders as well,  but they are a bit of a head scratcher to me. The small run doesn’t make a lot of business sense, based on my guesstimates anyway.  Ofc I don’t know what the production numbers are for a regular release are either (5-10k boxes?) so I may be way off base.

IIRC Vader was $30, maybe $40 at the booth.