Hiemfire

FFG Official, Faction art decorated Damage Decks!!

I already have two 2.0 damage decks (core and the pre-order that is already this larger size). I'm DEFINITELY getting two of these for the multiplayer stuff coming out later this year since my friends use my ships when we play, so... yeah... but which factions do I choose now?!

I just had a friend come back into the game yesterday. "Why do i need the new core set if I'm going to start with the Republic?" my response: "For the damage deck mostly"

Don't get me wrong, the core set is useful, but a separate generic damage deck should have been available at launch last year.

-----------------------------

How many decks will you end up getting?

This is an interesting development. 

So now, between this, the dice packs and plastic templates, you now don't need a core set for the first time in X-Wing history. 

Sure, it'll still be the cheapest way into the game, but if you want to commit to a single faction and don't want any Rebel or Imperial ships, you can now do that.

Pretty cool. I really hope we get Rebel, Imperial, Scum, Resistance and FO squadron packs now so that you can pick any faction and get a couple of ships to start a collection. 

2 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

This is an interesting development. 

So now, between this, the dice packs and plastic templates, you now don't need a core set for the first time in X-Wing history. 

Sure, it'll still be the cheapest way into the game, but if you want to commit to a single faction and don't want any Rebel or Imperial ships, you can now do that.

Pretty cool. I really hope we get Rebel, Imperial, Scum, Resistance and FO squadron packs now so that you can pick any faction and get a couple of ships to start a collection. 

Unless you want to use Instinctive Aim (could get lucky on E-Bay since it is rarely used so should be cheap). Strangely it is still only available in the 2.0 core set. Only a single copy at that (only one force user in the Core so understandable, though the other 3 Force Talents in the core have 2 copies each there).

10 minutes ago, svelok said:

Damage Deck, 3rd party acrylics, and obstacle pack are looking like a nice way for new players who want to play stuff other than Reb/Emp to get into the game

There's the official plastic range ruler set as well.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/products/deluxe-movement-tools-and-range-ruler/

Or do you think Acrylics are better?

1 minute ago, PanchoX1 said:

Bummer that they are not mini card size. easier to manage on the table and pack in a bag. Still cool but much less than my original reaction.

My exact same thoughts, was super keen till I saw they were larger format then not as keen, would be much happier with the smaller format cards.

Having said that these do look amazing and reasonably costed enough that I will likely get some anyway

17 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Agreed.

Would pay good money for a Kihraxz-themed damage deck (God knows it would be appropriate enough!)

I think FFG would Jack that up somehow.  They did put the K-fighter on the engine upgrade card.  We all know how that works.

As someone who has the promo deck, I'm a bit sad that the promo deck means that the widely available one is the Y-Wing. No offense to the Y-Wing, but it's one of those weird "iconic version is harder to find because it showed up as an exclusive first" moments that seem contrary to mass appeal in the long term. You could at least get a Resistance one for an X-Wing though. I was also disappointed to see the Fang Fighter as the Scum ship. It's a long story but it really bugs me how it's sort of become the default Scum fighter, though I'm also not surprised for that very reason.

This is a cool idea in general though. Even with my promo and even though I'm waiting on the Eta-2 Actis to join the faction, I might at least pick up the Republic one because I like those colors.

Edited by Jokubas

59 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

If you don't want to fly Rebels or empire it is actually cheaper to *Not* get the core set. Damage Deck $5 + Dice $8 + Templates $20 = $33 which is $7 cheaper than buying a core set, which is great for new players that just want to pick up one faction like Seperatists or Republic.

2 minutes ago, Sir13scott said:

If you don't want to fly Rebels or empire it is actually cheaper to *Not* get the core set. Damage Deck $5 + Dice $8 + Templates $20 = $33 which is $7 cheaper than buying a core set, which is great for new players that just want to pick up one faction like Seperatists or Republic.

+$15 for obstacles for non-prequel factions

FFG- here's a cool new damage deck that's faction specific!

Me- That's neat, at least the CIS one will go with the 7-8 ships and god awful array of upgrades they can take especially since they routinely go through a lot of cards in a close game.

FFG- They're oversized, so they take up even more table space than normal!

Me-

2l7hn3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

+$15 for obstacles for non-prequel factions

hmm yep guess I missed that haha but at least in the case of a friend they can have my cardboard templates, my non-prize dice, and one set of my 3 sets of gas clouds haha.

Wish I had known THIS was going to be a thing.

Since I only use the cards for the crit info (I use tokens to mark regular damage. . .yes, I know that affects things, sorta), I like the larger size.   I would have skipped a Core Set.

But, it is nice that the game is moving away from a Starter Kit concept that's becoming a bit antiquated.

Edited by Darth Meanie